Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    I've been in LFG where I made a similar comment to lighten up the rest of the group who had to suffer, after vote kicking a paladin tank who didn't own a shield, or a priest who came in as healer but only had shadow spec. It's not slander against the new guy, and I would also explain to them why the comment was made by describing the previous tank/healer. It's telling them that compared to the previous person who couldn't tell a sword from a fish that it doesn't take much to impress anyone in the group.

  2. #42
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,376
    I suppose the very idea that a good player might ask upfront about anything they needed to know the first time they run through any group content is anathema to many.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  3. #43
    Scarab Lord Kaneiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Iowa, United States
    Posts
    4,335
    I shoot off like a rocket in every scenario because, quite frankly, they can be soloed and I just want to get my valor. If people wanna talk, great, I usually ask how everyone is doing and try to carry on a conversation if they'd like to. But don't bitch at me because I fly from pack to pack without stopping.
    Hey, remember when I dropped my keys and you thought the phone was ringing?

  4. #44
    Don't let jerks put you off. Put them on ignore - move on. The great thing about scenarios is experience isn't a requirement, as the game tells you what you need to do, just like it would with quests. I honestly think it's a good thing when someone says they are new - it means that hopefully the more experienced of us can help out. Anyhow, there are a lot of jerks out there that you need to be thick skinned with. You will meet nice people, no matter if your doing scenarios or dungeons. So far my own experience with scenarios has been pretty good and the people there aren't nearly as bad as dungeons.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Personally, I just assume they were a few beers short of a six-pack and continue on my merry way. But I do agree, it's not exactly an insult, though slightly rude.
    So being a dumbass is OK but pointing out the obvious is wrong in your book?

  6. #46
    i'm well overgeared for 'em (486) so i'm sort of like that...where i'll zoom through it (trying to get 100 scenario achieve).

    BUT, i'll load in, always say Hi, if someone says they're new, i'm like "that's no problem, just follow along "

    I like talking in instances too, so if a conversation pops up, i'll slow down a bit so i can join in.

  7. #47
    Warchief Galbrei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,185
    Wait, so you mean there are people in the intrawebs who are not impeccable gentlemen? Preposterous! I say, someone do warn the Queen!

  8. #48
    Mechagnome esoterickk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    I shoot off like a rocket in every scenario because, quite frankly, they can be soloed and I just want to get my valor. If people wanna talk, great, I usually ask how everyone is doing and try to carry on a conversation if they'd like to. But don't bitch at me because I fly from pack to pack without stopping.
    This is pretty much exactly what I do.

    I'm going to chain pull and clear as fast as possible because it's very easily soloable and the others generally have little to no impact on the run anyway. The only reason I'm there is to get it done for VP/quick achievement where applicable.

    That being said I'm not going to insult people for being new, and if I asked anything I'll usually answer. But outside of that I'm not going to slow down my run to cater for someone else; to expect that seems pretty ridiculous.
    Last edited by esoterickk; 2012-12-19 at 05:39 AM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    when someone says "hey, i'm new" they might as well say "hey, i'm unconfident and bad"

    you're behind if you're new to scenarios at this point. when behind, you have to play catch up and "hey, i'm new" says "wait on me" not "i'll catch up"

    just be confident in what you can do and handle it. if you're competent, no part of wow is too much to handle. never was.
    No, this is what someone with a personality disorder or someone who is just a jerk sees, but the rest of us realize after 8 years people stop playing WOW for lots of reasons and there are constantly people coming back or that are new. Saying you're new to a scenario or heroic means that if there's something that is going to one shot or wipe the party or group or something else vital to let me know, otherwise I'll do my best to wing it.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  10. #50
    Pandaren Monk Otiswhitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,773
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    if i'm at the gym and the next team up in pickup games starts telling us how they're new to basketball and being friendly, they're gonna get on my nerves and everyone else there. do what you signed up to do and shut up. you're not there to socialize

    it's not an "online gaming" problem, it's a "just stop talking and do what you came to do" problem
    Or, rather, a "People are horrible monsters" problem?

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 07:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    No, this is what someone with a personality disorder or someone who is just a jerk sees, but the rest of us realize after 8 years people stop playing WOW for lots of reasons and there are constantly people coming back or that are new. Saying you're new to a scenario or heroic means that if there's something that is going to one shot or wipe the party or group or something else vital to let me know, otherwise I'll do my best to wing it.
    Most people in WoW, and a LOT of people in this forum, A LOT of people commenting on this thread, infact, seemingly would fall into this "personality disorder" thing.


    Anyways, the moral of the story is, is unless you're playing with people you know, you REALLY know, don't say anything, don't say you don't know anything. Don't speak unless you have to. The likelyhood of being treated like outright shit is way too high to bother with it, unless you've had time to get acclimated with the group you're in. People are just outright mean.
    Last edited by Otiswhitaker; 2012-12-19 at 07:58 PM.

  11. #51
    Bad people at scenarios aren't a big deal. I go in there doing. 50-150k dps depending on the fights in there. More then enough makes up for the 10-15k coming from the other 2 "bad" players. Just go in there and do the scenario and don't complain. I take off running as well and never had a problem with "bads" or "new" players complaining about me just taking off, they'd follow and learn from me, maybe you should try to learn from that person. It was always my first time in scenarios so I was new to, I did them all once never went back.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    If he's never been in one, he probably doesn't have any idea what they are like and how much his inexperience will impact the group. It seems polite, with that in mind, to let the group know so they can warn you before you fuck up anything important on accident.
    I'd suggest going a little farther than just saying "I'm new" though. That's a bit of an open ended statement. The other players end up wondering "is he going to be wondering around lost the whole time", "is he even capable of contributing", "does he know how to play his class". It's unfortunate, but if you have 2/3 or 4/5 of a group wondering whether you can even perform a dps rotation, that doesn't give them a lot of reason to keep you around.

    Although it sounds similar, changing that statement to "I haven't done this one before, anything I should know?" at least gives players the idea you've done some amount of content and are a little more confident in your own abilities. Also, it asks a direct question with what should be easy answers. "I'm new" really doesn't have a response. It's just a statement that you might be terrible and other players can leave, kick you, or deal with that.

  13. #53
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Rah55 View Post
    I'll be damned if I'm going to help him get his valor points!!!
    You can't take the moral high ground by doing the right action with the wrong reason.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    I'd suggest going a little farther than just saying "I'm new" though. That's a bit of an open ended statement. The other players end up wondering "is he going to be wondering around lost the whole time", "is he even capable of contributing", "does he know how to play his class". It's unfortunate, but if you have 2/3 or 4/5 of a group wondering whether you can even perform a dps rotation, that doesn't give them a lot of reason to keep you around.

    Although it sounds similar, changing that statement to "I haven't done this one before, anything I should know?" at least gives players the idea you've done some amount of content and are a little more confident in your own abilities. Also, it asks a direct question with what should be easy answers. "I'm new" really doesn't have a response. It's just a statement that you might be terrible and other players can leave, kick you, or deal with that.
    Thanks I like that suggestion!

    To those who say you shouldn't talk at all I'd ask "Why do you even bother playing a game with other people then?"

  15. #55
    High Overlord Zace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    138
    OP is bad and should feel bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •