Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Fluffy Kitten Baiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    York, Blighty
    Posts
    5,072
    Well, when I play I use common courtesy and try to maintain a friendly and helpful demeanour which, unfortunately compared to most players, seems to make me something of a saint. I swear there must be something about online gaming, possibly anonymity enabling people to screw others over without repercussions, that seems to attract a disproportionate amount of sociopaths and general a-holes.

  2. #22
    High Overlord Eleventh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    I help the ones with no title. Back before the gear rewards in newbie zones, it was not uncommon to see Pallies in cloth, leather, and mail gear. Whatever dropped is what they wore at lvl 10 just to have some gear in that slot. Those were the newbies I helped. The ones who were genuinely trying and had no main toon. I remember Nov 2005 when I had no main, and my hunter was a hot mess. Someone else was nice enough to invite me to her guild, and showed me the ropes as she played a hunter too. Without that help, I would probably have left the game at the end of my 30 day freebie.

    It's important to help those who wish to help themselves. I don't give handouts, I give hand ups. Instead of giving them gold, I run them through a Dungeon on FFA. Then they get a little boost as some free stuff to sell off the back of my mammoth at the end of the run. It's important to encourage those who really want to play, and ignore those who are just mouth breathers taking up space in Trade Chat or Goldshire.
    This is exactly how it should be. People who TRY to get better, even though what they are doing is totally wrong. Sadly, not many give a damn nowdays. My first toon, which wasn't on 10 days free trial, was a rogue, but I came a across a mage who had been playing for a while. She helped me with quests, professions and just general pointers of how to play the game. I never met that girl again, but she was so kind. At level 20 I decided to create a mage instead because it looked so fun, based on what I had seen her do. I made an identical copy of her character and I still have that mage today.

    Around level 20 I was lost somewhere, but I ran into a warlock who was fishing. She helped me back, gave me a run through an instance and gave me 2 gold. I had never been happier while playing the game and we're still friends, 6 years later.

    Okay, this was just random blabbering, sorry.

  3. #23
    Certainly not in the same league as some of the posts here (honestly, well done you guys for being the shining example of what this community COULD be), but I organise a weekly LFR run every wednesday for my guild, and friends of the guild/their guildies. To ensure we all get a smooth run and don't have to put up with insults/elitist twats.

    I've also spent time in the Brawler's Guild, giving people resses after they die, buffing them, etc. Every little bit helps in those fights.

    I've also given out a couple of complete Darkmoon Decks to guildies, since I have 3 scribes and use my Wisdom CD every day on all of them. I make a lot of decks.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleventh View Post
    This is exactly how it should be. People who TRY to get better, even though what they are doing is totally wrong. Sadly, not many give a damn nowdays. My first toon, which wasn't on 10 days free trial, was a rogue, but I came a across a mage who had been playing for a while. She helped me with quests, professions and just general pointers of how to play the game. I never met that girl again, but she was so kind. At level 20 I decided to create a mage instead because it looked so fun, based on what I had seen her do. I made an identical copy of her character and I still have that mage today.

    Around level 20 I was lost somewhere, but I ran into a warlock who was fishing. She helped me back, gave me a run through an instance and gave me 2 gold. I had never been happier while playing the game and we're still friends, 6 years later.

    Okay, this was just random blabbering, sorry.
    No, it's not random blabbering. This is a bright example of what a good tratment can produce.

    When I look at the thread I can see that WoW is still a great place.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleventh View Post
    Okay, this was just random blabbering, sorry.
    No need to apologize. It's nice to remember the better times we had in a game we love. I agree completely. Even though I have never again seen in game those who helped me along the way, I still remember the acts of kindness they showed me. I got lost once running from Loch Modan to Menethil harbor to catch the boat back to Darnassus for my hunter training (before I knew SW had hunter trainers), and my wrong turn took me into Arathi highlands at level 20. Needless to say I was close to screwed when a Warrior and a priest showed up, both level 38, and escorted me to Menethil Harbor for the FP. This was long before mounts dropped below lvl 40, so here we were all on foot running from all kinds of mobs.

    Some of the best days of my life.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    No need to apologize. It's nice to remember the better times we had in a game we love. I agree completely. Even though I have never again seen in game those who helped me along the way, I still remember the acts of kindness they showed me. I got lost once running from Loch Modan to Menethil harbor to catch the boat back to Darnassus for my hunter training (before I knew SW had hunter trainers), and my wrong turn took me into Arathi highlands at level 20. Needless to say I was close to screwed when a Warrior and a priest showed up, both level 38, and escorted me to Menethil Harbor for the FP. This was long before mounts dropped below lvl 40, so here we were all on foot running from all kinds of mobs.

    Some of the best days of my life.
    I just opened trade with a level 34 dwarf paladin and gave him 3400 gold with a merry Christmas

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Certainly not in the same league as some of the posts here (honestly, well done you guys for being the shining example of what this community COULD be)
    Any good deed is in the same league, as long as it is done with good intent.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Any good deed is in the same league, as long as it is done with good intent.
    Exactly.

    Now I remembered - 2 weeks ago when I was leaving my previous guild for another one (bigger and 'stronger') I felt really bad and didn't want them to think I joined the guild, got some raid loot and left a month or so later. So I deposited 10 000 G in the gbank before I left. I also never used the guild-money-repair and never got pots, flasks and mats from the gbank The same way I don't do it now. Also, before leaving the guild, I went to the scheduled raid cause they would've had a hard time finding more players (that they know aren't jerks or oblivious noobs) and passed on all the loot.

  9. #29
    This tread gave me an idea, I have enough tbc and cataclysm cloth to make at least 200 bags I believe. I'm going to make a lot of bags and then use Red Ribboned Wrapping Paper and Blue Ribboned Wrapping Paper to turn them into Christmas gifts. Then I'm going to go to low level zones and trade them to low level chars that don't have any heirlooms on them.

    Perhaps buy some green low lever gear of the AH two if it's cheap and do the same thing with it.
    Last edited by Ater; 2012-12-19 at 03:08 PM.

  10. #30
    High Overlord Eleventh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    184
    Oh wow, I was reminiscing because of this thread and remembered a poor guy. I had been ganking people in IF on my mage and fled to Kharanos to buff and get my hp/mana back up, and all of a sudden I see a guy corpse running past me. I whispered him, asking what he was doing out here, and he told me that he was promised to come along for a boost run in Gnomeregan, but that they left him to die and then kicked him from the group. He could barely speak any English, couldn't find the instance and had no idea how to get back, so I invited him to the party, boosted him a few times and gave him a portal back to town. To top things off, I also gave him some money for his mount, back when you got it on level 40. I have never met a more grateful person in my life, it was like he worshipped me. Aah, good times. I'm not crying at all

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Ater View Post
    This tread gave me an idea, I have enough tbc and cataclysm cloth to make at least 200 bags I believe. I'm going to make a lot of bags and then use Red Ribboned Wrapping Paper and Blue Ribboned Wrapping Paper to turn them into Christmas gifts. Then I'm going to go to low level zones and trade them to low level chars that don't have any heirlooms on them.

    Perhaps bye some green low lever gear of the AH two if it's cheap and do the same thing with it.
    Good luck with this.

    Before leaving 2 months ago I stood in starting zones TB and ORG and tried to give away 10k in gold by trading but either people closed the window or more importantly were in the different zone system whereby I couldn't trade with them.

    So my horde characters have 10k in gold rotting whilst I gave 100k to my guild realising I wouldn't be back

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Ater View Post
    This tread gave me an idea, I have enough tbc and cataclysm cloth to make at least 200 bags I believe. I'm going to make a lot of bags and then use Red Ribboned Wrapping Paper and Blue Ribboned Wrapping Paper to turn them into Christmas gifts. Then I'm going to go to low level zones and trade them to low level chars that don't have any heirlooms on them.

    Perhaps bye some green low lever gear of the AH two if it's cheap and do the same thing with it.
    Great idea! I was thinking about what 'Christmasy' thing can be done and this is very nice!

    When MoP was in its beginning, I made a lot of flasks and started giving them to players that I met around Pandaria (the proper flask for the specific classes of course). Many of them challenged me on a duel after accepting - I don't know what they're thinking (we haven't said a word to each other), but I guess they think I'm giving them a flask in order to gain a 'worthy opponent' or something. But this really happened a few times, not only once
    Last edited by controll; 2012-12-19 at 03:11 PM.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by sonof View Post
    Good luck with this.

    Before leaving 2 months ago I stood in starting zones TB and ORG and tried to give away 10k in gold by trading but either people closed the window or more importantly were in the different zone system whereby I couldn't trade with them.

    So my horde characters have 10k in gold rotting whilst I gave 100k to my guild realising I wouldn't be back
    Well I'll start with like 10-20 bags and see how it goes, if it turns out well I make more, if not I just sell the once I made at the AH.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Murghoul View Post
    I don't take tips for enchanting things. If I see someone with a group of mobs, or even one mob and they have low health I'll help them out, usually regardless of faction.
    I primarily play on a PVP server. If I see a Horde (I'm Ally on this one) lowbie getting stomped, or even another level 90 that's definitely going to die, I'll taunt a mob off of them. Obviously, I wasn't really cut out for the whole "pvp server mentality."
    Praise the Quest Writers for they give life to otherwise boring expansions.

  15. #35


    I think it's great that people are still willing to do good things. I think I will buy up some pets and wrap them up, then give them out in Goldshire. I still have a whole set of Winter wardrobe in the bank. SantaPaws is coming to town.

  16. #36
    I started sending Christmas gifts, it's going great!

  17. #37
    When I was herbing in TH on my rogue in Cata and would come across Karoma, I'd /who the hunters in the area, whisper one at a time, going down the list, that I had spotted karoma. if I got an affirmative response they wanted to tame it within a minute or two, I'd invite them and teleport them to me (miss have group, will travel) and let them gather a rare pet. Did this quite a few times, one of them gave me a sizable finders fee for it.

  18. #38
    I always try to do nice things to people, but I just get so sad when they dont appreciate what I've done at all:/ Like a while ago, some guy that I made a Vial of the Sands to back in cataclysm, contacted me and asked if I could make a Chopper for him, he was going to give it away as a christmas present to a friend. I said sure, and told him what to do to get the mats and all, I even gave him some cobalt and bought the vendor mats to him cause he did not have the guild perk. All in all I spent around 30 mins helping him out, and when he asked how much I wanted for it I said I didnt care, he did not have to give me anything. THen he opened trade window and gave me 50g, said "ty" and left the group... Its not about the tip, its just that I felt he werent grateful at all.. I would much rather get 0 G and a "Thanks man" than just that "ty".
    A few days ago he whispered me again, asking if I "could make a new chopper, I sold the other one on the AH XD! I can get mats". I did not respond to that.

    Now and then I am baffled by good deeds, like near the end of Cata when I was strolling around in Hyjal and got a whisper from some random guy. He told me that Madexx (a rare tameable scorpion) was up, and asked if I wanted to tame him. Madexx spawns in Uldum, so the guy must've "/who hunter 85" or something! I didnt have room for him in my stables at that point, but I told him how nice of him it was to ask before killing it himself.

    Also, a few days ago I was doing my dailies in Krasarang, when someone asked in /1 if anyone would like to join him in killing the animal boss in the arena, he had already collected all the stuff to summon him. I have only done that stuff a couple of times, because it takes forever to get those 30 fish or whatever it is. I said that me and my IRL friend would love to join, and he invited me telling me to get there quick, the mob was at 30% already (I was slow to respond). I told him to inv my friend quick, but he didn't spell it right, so he promoted me to leader and let me invite him. He was just kiting the mob around for us so we would get credit for it! That is a mob that he would have no problem killing all by himself, but he just wanted to be kind! I added him to my friend list, and told him I wished everyone would be like him.

  19. #39
    I ran some one through RFC 10 times today out of the goodness of my heart!

  20. #40

    Question

    These tales of kindness have warmed my very heart... nay, my soul. Thank you all for restoring my faith in humanity, brethren.

    You all remind me of Henry the Humanitarian from this article about the seven most enjoyable types of gamers to play with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •