Tanking stormstout brewery cm as prot.

We made decent progress the other day with a mage even missed gold by like 5 seconds but tonight we couldn't even get past the first pull. Either I died to trying to get too much threat or everyone else died becuase I couldn't get any threat on anything.

I do make a few mistakes (ie barrels) but honestly the majority of our issues are just beyond my control.
    http://www.twitch.tv/vathral/b/349302531

Are prot paladins just not supposed to tank this?
    Last edited by silverhatred; 2012-12-19 at 07:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think it might have something to do with SoI nerf? Challenge modes got all the more harder.

Yeah the recent change made us so much less viable for challenge modes. As if everyone wasn't far enough behind DK's in them anyway lol

Deleted
    You need to use salvation and so on, to let your warriors damage output high. You should also use bloodlust once you get up there, and it will reset just as you're about to pull the last boss. You're just spending too much time on that first pack of trash. Have the shaman chain lightning onto the elite monkeys, so that they're dead as the boss spawns.

You should also avoid tanking all those mobs, and people in your group need to be a lot more careful with knocking them back. If you get them grouped up, and then have the barrel/shaman knock them around in random directions = huge dps loss.

We kited using chill-brains from a DK, and I would only ever go into melee range of the mobs if they were stunned.

Just drop all your cooldowns up there, and you'll be fine. That includes stuff such as bladestorm, bloodlust, ascendense etc. Pretty much everything.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 10:02 AM ----------

Oh and, roots with melee = baaaaaaaaaaaaad....
    Last edited by mmoc80f9d45742; 2012-12-19 at 09:03 AM.

when i did this we would pull to the room just before the first bosses room and kill off most of the elites then go into the boss room and pull which made that room tankable, still had to use a lot of cds for it,still beat gold by a minute

another solution if possible, go Ret and grab a blood dk, there's no shame prot has awful snap threat in CMs and are prone to the random 1 shot. But on a more serious note prob need to just rotate cds better and try and hold aggro so people don't die. CMs aren't meant to be a joke so its not shameful to practice the pulls.

Even before the nerf you would still need to rotate cds well to not die, you could not simply use hotr and never die because you would die between each hotr so in all honesty this won't be a huge change, except for getting a half second buffer when you get smacked down to 15% health and heal it back up with SoL(can just wog 2x your hp now) which in that case you should of been using a big cd anyway

Alternate way of doing the pulls:

The first 5 elite monkeys, you drag them to the explosive barrel, and blow them up while the 5 monkeys are on top of you, obv you need to blow CDs for it. But, there are a total of 4 barrels, if you blow them all up, the elite monkeys will go down to about 10% hp. Have your shaman offheal and make sure you are topped off after each explosion, also have your resto druid iron bark you.

After the 5 elites, run up to the first boss and have your ranged kill the 2 elites, while you gather the little monkeys, do the same thing/kite whatever. This is the strat we used for our gold run like a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Soloz View Post
    Even before the nerf you would still need to rotate cds well to not die, you could not simply use hotr and never die because you would die between each hotr so in all honesty this won't be a huge change, except for getting a half second buffer when you get smacked down to 15% health and heal it back up with SoL(can just wog 2x your hp now) which in that case you should of been using a big cd anyway
    You act as if I wasn't using any. I used everything, all of my deaths occured after all of them faded, or while they were up, it didn't seem to matter.

that's not what I was getting at, I talking more about SoI from one of the posters above.

You cannot really tank these without a cd, depending on your comp you should work in aoe stuns in your cd rotation or even kite a little bit if you have someone that aoe slows

My group managed to knock out Stormstout Gold in about 2 hours of attempts. We tried the strategy which involved pulling everything up to the first boss, but found threat was an issue, so came up with a different strategy.

Our group was Prot Paladin (me), Resto Druid, Enhancement Shaman, Hunter, Warrior.

We pulled the five big monkeys (DPS killed the channeling spirits in the air) into the room just before the boss room that contained the two brawlers fighting each other. The hunter blew the barrel in the previous room while the five monkeys were running through, I've never done it so I'm not sure exactly what to do. When the big monkeys reached me, I used GoaK, then when that ran out I used AD and DP if needed. We also used Bloodlust/Heroism on that pull since using it on the first boss means it most likely wouldn't be up in time for the last boss. After that we pulled the boss room, then boss.

After that the dungeon can really only be done one way. We skipped the four patrolling spirits in the brew room by simply waiting and running past them, the person with Bloat made sure to be behind us. Pulled the two before the last boss room into his room, and grouped up the two that spawned with them. We LoS'd the pack of spirits outside the door in the cubby on the side and stayed there until they were all on us. We tried the pillar, but found they spread on both sides and made it take far too long to kill them. Make sure your group doesn't carelessly stun them, making them immune. Only stun when they're healing. As for the last boss, just blow Bloodlust/Heroism and intercept the healing streams.

Deleted
    I did this just yesterday the same way T87 described (so after the SoI nerf) and it took us 1 to 1.5 hours maybe. The first two pulls up to the first boss honestly are the only really challenge about that place (also, have your healer go dps for the final boss, you can heal far more than you'd need).

Handy tip for prot paladins doing the room of monkeys : Talent into long arm of the law and sanctified wrath. you'll have 45% passive movespeed increase for 30 seconds as long as you keep judging which is handy for kiting the monkeys. Drop lights hammer and consecration in strategic spots (Middle of room) and use Holy Wrath to pull the mobs. Use Salvation and hop wisely to help your teammates avoid aggro. Good luck!