Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I need help...what's wrong with this picture?

Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rdone/advanced

Ok, so...pay no attention to my gems/enchants/reforges until you've read what I'm about to say below...

I ran SimCraft a bit earlier in my current gear. I used to wield the axe from Heroic Scarlet Halls until I got 2 of Elegon's 1h'ers. Obviously, I'm going to go with the 1h'ers. Now, seeing as how I prefer the 2h style of Frost DPS, and I've been gearing myself to max Haste > Crit > Mastery, I don't exactly have the most ideal setup for DW.

Talents - Unholy Blight, AMZ, Death's Advance, Death Pact, Runic Empowerment + Remorseless Winter.

Glyphs - Pestilence, AMS, Shifting Presences...Tranquil Grip, Path of Frost, Army of the Dead

After I ran my sim, this is the exact stat priority the program left me with, to the number:

Expertise - 1.99
    Haste - 1.71
    Hit - 1.50
    Mastery - 1.38
    Crit - 1.12

So in the words of the eccentric Robert Shaw's Jaws character (Quint)...SimCraft is either very smart or very dumb! I'm having trouble deciding. I did a couple tests on the Training Dummies in SW, and with my gear and stat weights from SimCraft...lo and behold...the Haste priority (while still KM'ing Frost Strikes and just not using DnD at all) actually won out by like 1-2k doing a 35 million damage test both times. So yah, I wanna hear what other folks have to say about this...am I crazy? Is there a way to GET SimCraft to realize that DW is meant for simming Mastery > Haste no matter what?

Deleted
    I had similar results with my character (atm he is in PvP gear, I'm ilvl 486 with 1 elegon 489 axe and 1 random 463 axe) and simcraft 5.1.0_5 when I decided to switch from 2h to DW for windlord. Haste didn't sim that high tho, hit and expertise were still better but haste simmed better than mastery. Since I was switching from 2h to DW for more AoE I didn't follow at all stat weights and I went mastery>haste.
    Last edited by mmocc39afa2be3; 2012-12-19 at 10:39 AM.

Right, but still, the odd thing is that my "rotation" actually seems smoother right now going Haste > Mastery...but as the sim says, it could just be that way for single target Patchwerk stuff. God I hate this...saddest part is, my raid just saw Starshatter drop for the very first time since MoP launched...and our next progression boss is Heroic Amber-Shaper (we've killed Vizier the past 2 weeks, and everything else the past 3 or 4). Drop rates are just ridiculously bad for us...so I had to go with what I was able to win via coins.

I guess I should go back to Mastery > Haste and just get used to playing that way, I dunno. Anyone else got any ideas for me, or had similar experiences?

Deleted
    Yeah haste makes your rotation smoother, being 2her or DWer. I prefer going mastery>haste because I switched to DW for a specific purpose: more AoE. If I would be in your situation I'd go mastery>haste anyway, don't forget that you are comparing 2 results from a single target test where haste is very strong but if you have 2 or more targets mastery will clearly win.

Deleted
    The way I see it, you should go back to mastery > haste. I have been experimenting a lot with those stat priorities my self, and yes on a fight like Patchwerk haste > mastery is better, but most encounters at the moment have some kind of AOE involved and from my experience the mastery > haste gives you a better DPS output in the long run.
    I am keeping around 4k haste rating, because I like they way my rotation is flowing at around 4k haste rating, and then everything else just goes to mastery. I'm simming around 95k on a Patchwerk fight over 450 seconds, and I'm ranked top 100 on most fight both normal and heroic with this stat priority.
    Hope you got something out of it, and good luck

Well, I plan to run some 5 mans and maybe an LFR today with Mastery > Haste...so we'll see. My new stats are:

Mastery - 5405
    Haste - 4288

So I'm right around that ~4k Haste point...I'll see how close I can keep it in the coming weeks if I continue to get no luck with 2h'ers. I just wish I could drop some of this pesky Hit rating from the gear without hurting other stats that aren't overcapped. Atm, I'm sorta pidgeon holed unless I get a few certain things (I'm thinking Tier Legs for more Mastery and less Hit and the trinket off Lei Shi).

My gear level is no where near you guys, but here is my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nyximus/simple

I am at 3700 mastery but only 2000 haste. Should I be changing that? Also, how important is the 7.5 expertise number at this point? Would I benefit from moving some expertise into haste?

Yea, haste sims better for me as well, just a smaller margin. That being said, any AoE swings that back to mastery (by a *lot*) and movement/non 100% uptime also devalues haste considerably. Try running the HeavyMovement sim, see what I mean. Haste is almost never as good as it sims, another reason I think it's sub-optimal to gem pure haste as 2H frost for most encounters, but that's another story.

To OP: Get the +180 STR bracer enchant. It's much better than +170 mastery.

2h frost dk here, runing 1.2k mastery 8739 haste, 16708 str on armory stats. I rank top 50 anytime I remember to turn on my combat log and I know I play far from perfect. That is gemming haste btw with 1k average latency. I changed to haste gemming once I got 2p tier and heroic weapon. I tried haste before the weapon and Simc said to do it but it didn't work out that well. I'd have to re run to get the weights again but i had 2 haste well out weighing 1 str.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomatose View Post
    Well, I plan to run some 5 mans and maybe an LFR today with Mastery > Haste...so we'll see. My new stats are:

Mastery - 5405
    Haste - 4288

So I'm right around that ~4k Haste point...I'll see how close I can keep it in the coming weeks if I continue to get no luck with 2h'ers. I just wish I could drop some of this pesky Hit rating from the gear without hurting other stats that aren't overcapped. Atm, I'm sorta pidgeon holed unless I get a few certain things (I'm thinking Tier Legs for more Mastery and less Hit and the trinket off Lei Shi).
    I wouldn't worry about being a tad high on hit. You have a higher white-hit-miss-chance while dual wielding, so it isn't 100% lost beyond 7.5%. extra white hits isn't a massive DPS increase, but isn't a 100% waste of stat either (as it would be if you were 2h.)

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOlf View Post
    My gear level is no where near you guys, but here is my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nyximus/simple

I am at 3700 mastery but only 2000 haste. Should I be changing that? Also, how important is the 7.5 expertise number at this point? Would I benefit from moving some expertise into haste?
    Absolutely not. Do whatever it takes, but ALWAYS stay at or slightly above the 7.5% soft cap...I can't stress this enough. Mastery and haste will come, but in order to be completely satisfied with your DPS, and secure in combat with no hiccups, you gotta keep those 7.5% caps up.

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 06:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Yea, haste sims better for me as well, just a smaller margin. That being said, any AoE swings that back to mastery (by a *lot*) and movement/non 100% uptime also devalues haste considerably. Try running the HeavyMovement sim, see what I mean. Haste is almost never as good as it sims, another reason I think it's sub-optimal to gem pure haste as 2H frost for most encounters, but that's another story.
    Yah, I'll have to try that sometime (Heavy Movement)...thanks for the heads up. Though I'll have to disagree with you about not gemming pure haste in 2h. As long as your proper stat weights state that 2x haste > 1x Strength...I would go ahead and gem for haste. Just me though.

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 06:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by birza View Post
    2h frost dk here, runing 1.2k mastery 8739 haste, 16708 str on armory stats. I rank top 50 anytime I remember to turn on my combat log and I know I play far from perfect. That is gemming haste btw with 1k average latency. I changed to haste gemming once I got 2p tier and heroic weapon. I tried haste before the weapon and Simc said to do it but it didn't work out that well. I'd have to re run to get the weights again but i had 2 haste well out weighing 1 str.
    My DK weeps again this week...no heroic Starshatter or Sha Touched Axe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by birza View Post
    Care to link your armory? I'm interested in looking at your gear as I am in the situation where I could go all haste, but I go all strength instead.

Thanks in advance

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Birza/advanced

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 04:10 PM ----------

I can't post links so might have to just look up birza on US armory. I'm gonna run a sim and post my stat weights also.

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 04:19 PM ----------

Ran a simple sim and my weights were: (2.9 str) (1.2 crit) (1.57 haste) (.85 mastery). That is with current gems being haste. If I ran with str gems like I did before when I decided to go haste the value of haste should be even higher.

Deleted
    Bizra have you tried going with Le shin + Relic xuen, if you have the trinket of course?

Ya I have le shin but vortex simmed higher although it was close. Have you had better results with le shin?

Deleted
    I'm sorry for being a noob here, but I've looked and I'm missing it over and over again. Where on simcraft does it show me that stat weights of a simmed character?

Quote Originally Posted by Veej View Post
    I'm sorry for being a noob here, but I've looked and I'm missing it over and over again. Where on simcraft does it show me that stat weights of a simmed character?
    The top of the result window?

Deleted
    ^you need to click in to calculate the stat weights in the options

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schleimhaut View Post
    ^you need to click in to calculate the stat weights in the options
    So in the options menu, I'm looking for something like 'calculate stat weights' because @Nillo I don't have the info at the top of my results window