Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Oh man, we can have a wicked cool MMOC group and I could pretend I remember how to heal/don't suck at it! Though the change to Marked by the Light makes me want to try out my Sent spec again. I'm bad at healing though -_-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Oh man, we can have a wicked cool MMOC group and I could pretend I remember how to heal/don't suck at it! Though the change to Marked by the Light makes me want to try out my Sent spec again. I'm bad at healing though -_-
    is it cross continent so like eu and us?

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    is it cross continent so like eu and us?
    I do not think so. Must be on same wargroup, which I am pretty sure refers to the super clusters, which means NA and EU are still seperate.

Cross-Shard Group Invites! You can now invite characters from other shards on your Wargroup to join your group. You can then queue for Warfronts, Dungeons, and Conquest, or enter Dungeons and Raids with them! Note: You cannot join Instant Adventure with a cross-shard group.

Discrete servers are so out of date. I feel like in a few years we will all play on massive servers divided by districts such as Eve or Guild Wars 1. Server of origin is starting to mean less & less in many MMOs these days.

I welcome the seachange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Discrete servers are so out of date. I feel like in a few years we will all play on massive servers divided by districts such as Eve or Guild Wars 1. Server of origin is starting to mean less & less in many MMOs these days.

I welcome the seachange.
    I still think the bottleneck is the client end more then server/remote technologies. The majority of people still have old PC's or don't have gaming enthusiasts PC'S. Internet connections have improved vastly but put 400 people in close proximity and either their connection or PC explodes.

I still think we're a few years off from true single server technology that works as intended for an MMO to have hundreds of virtual characters in a seamless latency lag free environment. I've never played EVE and don't think they do what I'm trying to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I still think the bottleneck is the client end more then server/remote technologies.
    The megaservers usually use a channel system to have multiple instances of the same zone up at once. This means that 7000 people may be in FIREICEZONE and all be able to chat, they'll be in multiple different versions of the zone to make sure peoples computers don't fry and the zone doesn't end up farmed 24/7. It does allow you to change channels so you can group with others in your zone though.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    The megaservers usually use a channel system to have multiple instances of the same zone up at once. This means that 7000 people may be in FIREICEZONE and all be able to chat, they'll be in multiple different versions of the zone to make sure peoples computers don't fry and the zone doesn't end up farmed 24/7. It does allow you to change channels so you can group with others in your zone though.
    The only downside to that is chat (oh dear god) and potential economy woes. It seems like GW2 has handled a game wide economy fine, but it won't make a lot of people happy here that's for sure. Ever see an item up for less than the vendor price and wonder wtf people are doing it for?

Multiply that x100 and you have what a game like Rift or WoW would have if it had a game wide economy. Playing the auction house would become obsolete unless you plan on buying out the entire market to control yourself, which would be immediately intervened upon by the devs.

Edit:

I also don't understand what is up with some games and the latency...my computer has handled things superbly until SWTOR and Rift came along for me. In Rift I go to stop motion animation during an event in the higher level zones. I'm really dreading hitting 60 and not being able to do anything.

I went about overclocking my cpu to see if it made a large difference and it didn't do squat. I didn't really go past the initial low end overclock because I'm a computer noob, but it didn't give any performance upgrades. All signs seemed to say that was where I was bottlenecking, but who knows. I sure don't.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-01-09 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    The only downside to that is chat (oh dear god) and potential economy woes. It seems like GW2 has handled a game wide economy fine, but it won't make a lot of people happy here that's for sure. Ever see an item up for less than the vendor price and wonder wtf people are doing it for?

Multiply that x100 and you have what a game like Rift or WoW would have if it had a game wide economy. Playing the auction house would become obsolete unless you plan on buying out the entire market to control yourself, which would be immediately intervened upon by the devs.

Edit:

I also don't understand what is up with some games and the latency...my computer has handled things superbly until SWTOR and Rift came along for me. In Rift I go to stop motion animation during an event in the higher level zones. I'm really dreading hitting 60 and not being able to do anything.

I went about overclocking my cpu to see if it made a large difference and it didn't do squat. I didn't really go past the initial low end overclock because I'm a computer noob, but it didn't give any performance upgrades. All signs seemed to say that was where I was bottlenecking, but who knows. I sure don't.
    System specs please?

And don't feel bad, even high end computers cannot handle some of the zone events. My PC is very decent-ish for the time Rift came out. AMD Phenom x4 965 Black Edition and a Radeon 6850 with 8GB RAM. Not top of the line for sure, but better than a lot I see too, so middle of the road-ish. Slows to a crawl in a massive zone event. I believe, and Deltress will come along and correct me if I am wrong eventually I am sure, haven't seen him around too much lately, but most of it is server side. Rift is not optimized very well at all, and those zone events cause server lag, nothing to do with latency or client at all, so don't feel too bad about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    System specs please?

And don't feel bad, even high end computers cannot handle some of the zone events. My PC is very decent-ish for the time Rift came out.
    I built on a very low budget and I know mine isn't stellar, but like I said I haven't really had problems before these two games really. I figure the immediate upgrades would be cpu/gpu, but not really sure how high I would have to go to make a significant difference.

I don't get more than 10-16 FPS in the major cities and during zone event in somewhere like Ashora I drop to <10. Questing on my own I can sit between 25-36. I've changed graphics from sliders all the way up Ultra down to Low and there is only like a 5 fps difference anywhere, so I keep it up for questing.

I built on a very low budget and I know mine isn't stellar, but like I said I haven't really had problems before these two games really. I figure the immediate upgrades would be cpu/gpu, but not really sure how high I would have to go to make a significant difference.

I don't get more than 10-16 FPS in the major cities and during zone event in somewhere like Ashora I drop to <10. Questing on my own I can sit between 25-36. I've changed graphics from sliders all the way up Ultra down to Low and there is only like a 5 fps difference anywhere, so I keep it up for questing.
    Yeah, only thing I can suggest is make sure low quality renderer is on, requires restart, and turn everything to low, that may make zone events barely playable, however, as I also stated, even higher end systems lag out during them if a lot of people show up. Personally, with low quality renderer on, I one time got bannered in to a zone event during peak hours and it actually crashed me, and my system is not that much better than yours either.

10+ Year Old Account
    however, as I also stated, even higher end systems lag out during them if a lot of people show up. Personally, with low quality renderer on, I one time got bannered in to a zone event during peak hours and it actually crashed me, and my system is not that much better than yours either.
    This may actually cause me to rethink my 6 month subscription set to start this weekend. I was planning on possibly upgrading both my gpu and cpu, but I was going to stay with AMD b/c I don't want a new mobo right now...but to know that it won't really do much for me in this game is kinda...well it's really the only reason I need to upgrade.

Every other MMO (other than SWTOR) runs at acceptable FPS on ultra settings..beyond that my Steam games could be run on a crappy laptop. I guess I should really head into the tech forums here to get yours and others' opinions on upgrading my system.

Hey guys, guess what.

No Fall Damage now, it's broken.
    Find the highest cliff you can and enjoy 6s of hangtime pain free.

This may actually cause me to rethink my 6 month subscription set to start this weekend. I was planning on possibly upgrading both my gpu and cpu, but I was going to stay with AMD b/c I don't want a new mobo right now...but to know that it won't really do much for me in this game is kinda...well it's really the only reason I need to upgrade.

Every other MMO (other than SWTOR) runs at acceptable FPS on ultra settings..beyond that my Steam games could be run on a crappy laptop. I guess I should really head into the tech forums here to get yours and others' opinions on upgrading my system.
    Well, TBH it's not that bad. I think the crash was a fluke. My RL buddy plays on a laptop that is much crappier than either of our systems, though he plays with 1-2 FPS during those zone event bosses, he gets them done. He is even able to 10 and 20 man raid relatively well, of course those are easier on a system since there is a limited amount of stuff that can happen.

I would still say we both need upgrades though, I know I am looking at upgrading here in the next month or so.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 06:43 PM ----------

* Taking damage from falling should be slightly more survivable.
    This is a gross understatement. Fall damage has been removed, and it is not a bug.

It is not a bug, I may have been a little vague on the release note I passed to Amary however.

Right now its a test. If it becomes permanent we'll deal with things like the Dwarf Racial, Safe Fall, and the few PA's that affect this.

~Daglar
    Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...e-edition.html
    second post.

Deleted
    This is a gross understatement. Fall damage has been removed, and it is not a bug.

Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...e-edition.html
    second post.
    This is awesome! No more deaths while trying to get to places high up in the mountains <3

Part of me is screaming, "DAMN CASUALS RUINING MY GAME!!!"

The other part is screaming giddily as I jump off of all the high places.

I'm so torn.

This is a nightmare. It's like one of the worst things that could possibly happen to this game for me. What was the point of creating all these interesting environments and landscapes when you can now just jump off a hundred foot cliff and not even break a sweat? I know this doesn't mean a thing to people who spend all their time in dungeons and raids, but for me, this is like You Done Fucked Up Now Trion.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    This is a nightmare. It's like one of the worst things that could possibly happen to this game for me. What was the point of creating all these interesting environments and landscapes when you can now just jump off a hundred foot cliff and not even break a sweat? I know this doesn't mean a thing to people who spend all their time in dungeons and raids, but for me, this is like You Done Fucked Up Now Trion.
    Just so its 100% clear, you ARE being serious right?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Just so its 100% clear, you ARE being serious right?
    Absolutely, 100% serious. I don't raid. I don't give a damn about progression. I'm a serious casual who has gone on epic rants on these forums about the zone design of Rift. Removing fall damage completely negates any utility of purpose behind zone design. May as well litter every new zone with walls and rolling hills with big signs providing directions, there's nothing good about cliffs and hidden locations anymore, since there's no risk in uncovering them.

I'd be less pissed if they made every single mob in the game yellow. Neutral mobs could still kill you if you interacted with them.

I agree that removing fall damage is not a good thing. While the cliffs may slow you down they're important to immersion for some people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    Absolutely, 100% serious. I don't raid. I don't give a damn about progression. I'm a serious casual who has gone on epic rants on these forums about the zone design of Rift. Removing fall damage completely negates any utility of purpose behind zone design. May as well litter every new zone with walls and rolling hills with big signs providing directions, there's nothing good about cliffs and hidden locations anymore, since there's no risk in uncovering them.

I'd be less pissed if they made every single mob in the game yellow. Neutral mobs could still kill you if you interacted with them.
    To be fair, games have moved away from overwhelming realism in favor of progressive systems for players. I'll give you a typical Ghostcrawlerian response as to why it was removed:

We found that it was too difficult to determine in our game at what heights damage would harm and kill your player. In addition, some landscapes don't work exactly the same depending on your race, some racial abilities, and specific mounts. We feel that the expense of immersion is worth every player having an equal and balanced experience in the exploration of Telara. You'll be happy to know that with this change, we can make sure to present lots more 'navigational hazards' and truly stunning explorational achievements.

It also means flying mounts are going to remain unavailable for the long, forseeable future. Best of luck in your mountain top adventures!