Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I agree that removing fall damage is not a good thing. While the cliffs may slow you down they're important to immersion for some people.
    I think the last time a cliff added to my immersion factor was when it immersed my characters face. Into the ground. And I swore and got annoyed. That was pretty damn immersing.

I feel like the type of person who is miffed about no fall damage is the same type of person that was rioting when they removed the snare from mobs as you ran away, allowed mounts indoors, removed the soul quests and were terribly angry when Trion changed the walking animation.

How I savored every thread by that one guy on the official forums. Arjal or whatever. Savored.

I for one support TRUE old school Rift: instant auto dismount when attacked by any creature, mobs snare you if you try to run away, fall damage, you RP walk more slowly, no mounts indoors. Soul quests scattered all over Meridian; yes, even the bard soul quest. Because that was THE highlight of my day, reading in world chat "Where is the bard soul?"

A return to the relic gear system. Corrupted souls everywhere.

Cleric loot on every boss drop. Because, RIFT.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-10 at 06:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Cleric loot on every boss drop. Because, RIFT.
    I endorse this! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I endorse this! ^^
    I second this motion.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I second this motion.
    Denied. Allyourbasearebelongtous.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I think the last time a cliff added to my immersion factor was when it immersed my characters face. Into the ground. And I swore and got annoyed. That was pretty damn immersing.
    My point is basically this:
    No-one looking for an MMO is going to say 'Oh no this has falling damage, won't play that it's ridiculous' but some people might say 'There's no falling damage? That's weird and ruins my experience so I won't play this game' and then Trion gets slightly less money for paying baws devs to make amazing content for me.

So even though no fall damage is nice, the extra maybe $5k a year Trion could potentially lose may be the difference between them laying off a slightly more experienced dev in a higher pay bracket than the junior dev they otherwise may have, or hiring a cheaper dev instead of a more expensive one.

Slightly drawn-out logic I know, but that's where my mind drew me at 2am.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    Absolutely, 100% serious. I don't raid. I don't give a damn about progression. I'm a serious casual who has gone on epic rants on these forums about the zone design of Rift. Removing fall damage completely negates any utility of purpose behind zone design. May as well litter every new zone with walls and rolling hills with big signs providing directions, there's nothing good about cliffs and hidden locations anymore, since there's no risk in uncovering them.

I'd be less pissed if they made every single mob in the game yellow. Neutral mobs could still kill you if you interacted with them.
    Ok, just to be clear, it doesn't break immersion that you are immortal anyway? I dunno, immersion is broken for me in any MMO where I die, the my soul cab go back to my corpse and come back to life. Dieing from falling is simply annoying and that's all. It's a 1-2 minute side-track to get back to my corpse. How about every time you fall off a cliff, type /sleep so you lay down, then wait a few seconds to pull yourself back up. Same effect.

Sorry, I never understood this so called "immersion" in any game that isn't like Hardcore Diablo, where when you die, that's it. No multiple lives, no immortality.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad about the falling damage . It's always fun to drive off a cliff while others are following you, then pop safe-fall and continue while others drop towards their deaths. it's those little things that brightens the day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    My point is basically this:
    No-one looking for an MMO is going to say 'Oh no this has falling damage, won't play that it's ridiculous' but some people might say 'There's no falling damage? That's weird and ruins my experience so I won't play this game' and then Trion gets slightly less money for paying baws devs to make amazing content for me.

So even though no fall damage is nice, the extra maybe $5k a year Trion could potentially lose may be the difference between them laying off a slightly more experienced dev in a higher pay bracket than the junior dev they otherwise may have, or hiring a cheaper dev instead of a more expensive one.

Slightly drawn-out logic I know, but that's where my mind drew me at 2am.
    I disagree, I can't tell you how many times I've died in Storm Legion in relation to falling damage in a very tired and lazy mood that I am in sometimes, Dying in the game for some people can be very demoralizing, a few deaths can be quite an annoyance and leaving people with the sort of "meh F*** this game, I'll just log off and go to sleep"

From my personal perspective and I am sure everyone that isn't a fairly hardcore RP'er or regularly punts people off large buildings, I love this change =)

Yeah fall damage is not even there anymore like it used to be. There were several times where I fell and would have normally died, but did not. SL is not nearly as flat as Vanilla and changing this was a great idea.

Deleted
    They should advertise no falling dmg on the box.
    I haven't felt this cheated since D3 pvp.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    They should advertise no falling dmg on the box.
    I haven't felt this cheated since D3 pvp.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but from the popular and majority view I will say this is ridiculous...unless it's sarcasm. Though the D3 reference makes you sound serious.

I rejoice in this change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but from the popular and majority view I will say this is ridiculous...unless it's sarcasm. Though the D3 reference makes you sound serious.

I rejoice in this change.
    in any case it's not.

About your hardware problem, the cheapest upgrade I can think of to your system is a SSD since your motherboard knows SATA3 ( check for sales on a 60gb one and see how that works out).

10+ Year Old Account
    About your hardware problem, the cheapest upgrade I can think of to your system is a SSD since your motherboard knows SATA3 ( check for sales on a 60gb one and see how that works out).
    Yeah I have talked with Lathais in another forum about SSDs, but for that game a RAMDISK was actually a better option. I've wanted an SSD anyways, but I'm not sure how much that would really help me in Rift. I'm going to guess not by much, where I would figure a better cpu/gpu would help with any situation outside of world zergs.

I'm no expert though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Yeah I have talked with Lathais in another forum about SSDs, but for that game a RAMDISK was actually a better option. I've wanted an SSD anyways, but I'm not sure how much that would really help me in Rift. I'm going to guess not by much, where I would figure a better cpu/gpu would help with any situation outside of world zergs.

I'm no expert though.
    Ofc cpu/gpu upgrade would be the best way to go and have the strongest impact on performance but SSD is probably the best bang for your buck.

RAMDISK is more complicated to do since it requires a virtual machine installed on the RAMDISK for faster the faster than light speeds it boasts. Otherwise it's just meh.

in any case it's not.

I am really getting sick of hearing this type of talk. A SSD WILL NOT INCREASE GAME PERFORMANCE IN ANY WAY. All it will do is make loading screens faster, however, if your FPS is at 5 during a Zone Event and you add an SSD, your FPS WILL REMAIN AT FIVE. It will NOT go up in any way shape or form. Windows will load in a couple seconds, however your FPS will remain exactly the same.

An SSD, while an excellent addition to any system, is probably the last thing you should add to a gaming system once you have everything else you want as it will have not make the game look prettier or run faster or increase your FPS in any way. It will reduce loading screens by a few seconds at best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I am really getting sick of hearing this type of talk. A SSD WILL NOT INCREASE GAME PERFORMANCE IN ANY WAY. All it will do is make loading screens faster, however, if your FPS is at 5 during a Zone Event and you add an SSD, your FPS WILL REMAIN AT FIVE. It will NOT go up in any way shape or form. Windows will load in a couple seconds, however your FPS will remain exactly the same.

An SSD, while an excellent addition to any system, is probably the last thing you should add to a gaming system once you have everything else you want as it will have not make the game look prettier or run faster or increase your FPS in any way. It will reduce loading screens by a few seconds at best.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-ssd,3062.html
    Guess you're right.
    Thought SSDs help with the load in games like Rift or WOW, looks like they don't.

Guess you're right.
    Thought SSDs help with the load in games like Rift or WOW, looks like they don't.
    In some games, they may help with load times, however, with most MMORPGs you are waiting on data from the server, not your client. The possible exception to this rule is SWTOR which loads a fair amount from your HDD instead of loading it into RAM. This is either a byproduct of the Hero Engine or just piss poor coding on thier part. Much easier and cheaper solution to this is RAMDisk as stated. There are even free programs for WoW and SWTOR that will set up the RAMDisk for you and remove it when done, automatically. Even then, we are talking 3-5 seconds of improvement on the loading screens, no performance gains. Rift has it's own optimization problems as well, but they are server side, not client.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess you're right.
    It's a common misconception. He bit my head off about it too, but now I know!

I do apoligize if it came off as head biting, however, I hate seeing bad advice given that will possibly cause someone who cannot afford it to spend money on something they do not need, especially something that is really just a luxury. Same thing with people(Alienware) i7's over i5's. If you are only gaming and general use, there is no difference and in some game the i7 causes stuttering. It's $100 difference and a complete waste unless you are doing mass amounts of video encoding or other such tasks.

Anyway, back on topic, the hotfix and fall damage.

Apparently, there was also a "ninja" hotfix to guild quests. You now need less Warfronts completed(about half) but more kills, which is great!!