Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    Likewise, if the majority of players in the MMO community prefer one game over another it means that the overall quality of that game is superior, even if their definition or the game's quality isn't the quality you consider.
    Alright then,
    Angry birds is better than World of warcraft.

Do you not see how that's silly?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I definitely will heap mounds of praise on Rift, sine I'm loving the crap out of it now...but most improved, no way. (I didn't play original Rift, so I can't comment completely accurately...
    YES, WAAAY. WAY WAY BETTER! Rift 1.6 was waaaay better than v1.0 and 2.1 is waaay better than 1.11
    I've played since the beginning. I can accurately state that it is the most improved game out there.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    That pretty much nullifies any opinions they have of the MMO-genre. Someone got payed alot to put those titles there. No doubt!
    What games could potentially win MMO of the year and not be perceived as a pay off by detractors of said game?

I am just curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    I am very tempted to go back then... I played to level 20(ish) back at release and just couldnt get into it. But if it's improved that much I might just grab a months game time and give it another crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What games could potentially win MMO of the year and not be perceived as a pay off by detractors of said game?

I am just curious.
    EVE is a safe bet I think. Nobody usually complains when EVE has won in the past. Otherwise it is obvious that the media, blog posters, and youtube heros have been paid off.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    YES, WAAAY. WAY WAY BETTER! Rift 1.6 was waaaay better than v1.0 and 2.1 is waaay better than 1.11
    I've played since the beginning. I can accurately state that it is the most improved game out there.
    I just can't really fathom that given that I played Cataclsym and it almost destroyed my soul and ability to play MMOs. Did you play every iteration of WoW until Cata? whoo boy I did. That was a fall of Greek Tragic proportions. It was so bad, I'm starting to wonder if they did it on purpose to come out with Mists and reinvigorate their own product. *tin foil hat off*

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Alright then,

Incoming heaps of trolls agreeing with you, lol. It would have actually been accurate if you said Angry Birds Star Wars was better than SWTOR *ducks* (note to mods, just a joke not game bashing)

Alright then,

Depends what metric you use (Angry birds probably doesn't make more than WoW with the game alone), but more importantly they are too dissimilar to compare. Angry birds is low cost and has no subscription. It's also no an MMO and not targeted at the same audience. It's like asking which is better an apple or an orange.

That said, if you wanted to find out which game or fruit of the two is currently the most liked well a big enough random sample may give a hint. If it comes back as angry birds is better, then yes it is. If you held out both games and asked everyone in the world to just pick one, the one that gets picked the most is better for the target audience (in this case the world)

Depends what metric you use (Angry birds probably doesn't make more than WoW with the game alone), but more importantly they are too dissimilar to compare. Angry birds is low cost and has no subscription. It's also no an MMO and not targeted at the same audience. It's like asking which is better an apple or an orange.

That said, if you wanted to find out which game or fruit of the two is currently the most liked well a big enough random sample may give a hint. If it comes back as angry birds is better, then yes it is. If you held out both games and asked everyone in the world to just pick one, the one that gets picked the most is better.
    So angry birds has a better payment model
    It's targeted at a larger audience
    They are both video games

So I guess you can still say angry birds is a better video game than world of warcraft.

I don't really think Rift is the "most improved" MMO I have played over a year. Rift launched with the most robust out-of-box feature set and dev support I have ever seen. Many QoLs aspects other MMOs implement over the course of years or via addon was day 1 native in Rift or incrementally added at a 1 1/2 month pace alongside content.

Really can't say most improved because the initial and base game of Rift [pre-Xpac] was always at a quality level & robustness eclipsing every MMO. Aside from a 7 year old monolith still running a shade higher than Warcraft 3. Natch.

TSW and SWTOR [yea, SWTOR] are stronger picks for most improved MMO over the course of a year or so. Those games at launch were pretty incomplete or otherwise lacking in QOL features they now have. Which have made TSW/SWTOR certainly better than at launch.

It doesn't seem logically possible for Rift to be "most improved". It's always been like the way it is now, basically.

Not really. Do you think Justin Biebers music is good quality? I don't even consider it music lol. But the fact that so many other people do has earned him the awards and fame that he has gotten.
    Bieber has won music awards?

Basing awards around popularity other than, the most popular award, would be terrible. I mean that is basically saying Mrs. Doubtfire is a better movie than Schinder's List because it sold more tickets at the box office.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Do you think Justin Biebers music is good quality? I don't even consider it music lol. But the fact that so many other people do has earned him the awards and fame that he has gotten.

Likewise, if the majority of players in the MMO community prefer one game over another it means that the overall quality of that game is superior, even if their definition or the game's quality isn't the quality you consider.

Thats why any business that values the quality of their product will try to evaluate it from their customers directly or indirectly, not from some panel of judges giving their opinions.
    This is some good points. I tried Rift..while a good game..it did not improve enough for me over WoW to justify a monthly sub. And same for swtor, which for me felt like a WoW in space. But GW2 is for me, a different game. And a refreshing one. It may be best to keep in mind the company which runs Rift just recently had to lay off some workers. While this can happen with any company, it is not a sign thier product is doing exceptionally well ether.

TSW and SWTOR [yea, SWTOR] are stronger picks for most improved MMO over the course of a year or so. Those games at launch were pretty incomplete or otherwise lacking in QOL features they now have. Which have made TSW/SWTOR certainly better than at launch.

It doesn't seem logically possible for Rift to be "most improved". It's always been like the way it is now, basically.
    I don't know about swtor.
    Patch 1.4 and 1.5 added bugs that we haven't seen since beta. It seems to be getting worse since 1.2.

SSo I guess you can still say angry birds is a better video game than world of warcraft.
    If I wanted to include the opinion of everyone in the world, then yes. There is a reason that those small casual games like farmville and angry birds have taken off and why a lot of the gaming industry is focusing on mobile gaming right now. It's extremely popular.

If I wanted to include the opinion of everyone in the world, then yes.
    I bet Massively rationalize it in a very similar way.

I don't know about swtor.
    Patch 1.4 and 1.5 added bugs that we haven't seen since beta. It seems to be getting worse since 1.2.
    Sure. But bugs are common in Rift too.

SWTOR added quite a lot to make the game far more enjoyable in basic play alone than at launch. That isn't to say SWTOR is currently top of class- but certainly just having like... a moveable UI was big improvement over the obtuse UI [& limited tools] as the game was released. Group finder, animation improvements, engine optimizations, etc.

SWTOR is quite a decent game now. Marketed and handled in the worst way- sure. A much better play experience than day 1/month 1, even.

The most improved award is a tough one I think. I'd say it's not really obvious. From the times I've played Rift I have noticed a lot of little improvements, mostly to the quality of life aspect to the game. Adding up all of those I can see it being the most improved.

Really I haven't seen a true improved mmo since AoC a few years ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The most improved award is a tough one I think. I'd say it's not really obvious. From the times I've played Rift I have noticed a lot of little improvements, mostly to the quality of life aspect to the game. Adding up all of those I can see it being the most improved.

Really I haven't seen a true improved mmo since AoC a few years ago though.
    Are you talking about when they remade the engine or the Godslayer thingy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caylis View Post
    I am very tempted to go back then... I played to level 20(ish) back at release and just couldnt get into it. But if it's improved that much I might just grab a months game time and give it another crack.
    Go check out my review in my sig. Game is friggin' amazing. Go check out the raiding as well - Seatin's link is there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Call of Black Duty Ops 507: Zombies, Guns, Zombies with Guns and more stuff...Zombies

Game of the Millenium. Calling it now.
    Nah, that'll probably come out within 100 years and we still have almost 9 centuries after that.

Sure. But bugs are common in Rift too.

SWTOR added quite a lot to make the game far more enjoyable in basic play alone than at launch. That isn't to say SWTOR is currently top of class- but certainly just having like... a moveable UI was big improvement over the obtuse UI [& limited tools] as the game was released. Group finder, animation improvements, engine optimizations, etc.

SWTOR is quite a decent game now. Marketed and handled in the worst way- sure. A much better play experience than day 1/month 1, even.
    That's pretty much all patch 1.2. It was a fantastic patch.
    But I don't think one patch of improvement followed by 6 months of nothing and then a few patches that decreased people FPS, added back in ability delay, and made a new bug that does attack animations, consumes the GCD, and doesn't actual do that attack justifies a pat on the head.