Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    As for your italicized parts...

1. The "X GAME/DEV PAID FOR THIS" bullshit is old and tired. Seriously, it rarely occurs (and by that I mean once in a blue moon)
    Do you have source on that or is it just wild guessing like the majority of posts in this thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    Yeah or I could play every other game in the genre that doesn't require you do do all that to be able to 'enjoy' ten levels.
    He He... which part of "amazing leveling experience" did you not get?

You don't have a dog in this race. You didn't get to 60.

My point was... you didn't do all the quests. You probably just tried to mindlessly grind to 60. If you stopped to enjoy the roses, mixed up the leveling experience, you would have enjoyed it more.

I fully understand that peer pressure from guildies to get to 60 asap can be annoying, but here's where we're different. I don't let other people screw up my game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    Do you have source on that or is it just wild guessing like the majority of posts in this thread?
    You have any source that says it's a common practice? It seems far more reasonable to me that smaller studios with smaller budgets don't go around willy nilly throwing money at news sites for reviews/awards, especially when there's a big hulabaloo around the PR/Journalist relationship recently, and the few times that kind of behavior has been hinted at have caused massive shitstorms.

It's common fucking sense. It happens, but on extremely rare instances and is usually followed up by a giant shitstorm of bad press for both the publication involved, and the developers/publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Then, I stopped playing with a mission to get to 60 and started playing to just enjoy myself.

If you do the onslaught quests in each zone, a few warfronts, each normal dungeon, the first tier of hunt quests, then follow the story in each zone... wow... just the most amazing leveling experience.
    While i do not play Rift, do not intend to but still think its a decent game with superb pve.
    You've listed the #1 excuse for a games leveling experience being bad and seem like a horrible delusional tool in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    While i do not play Rift, do not intend to but still think its a decent game with superb pve.
    You've listed the #1 excuse for a games leveling experience being bad and seem like a horrible delusional tool in general.
    Leveling experience is not the same as questing. Questing is just a portion of the leveling experience. If all you are going to do is just do the quests, then it is going to get boring and stale. It's the same for EVERY game. To get the full leveling experience, you need to do EVERYTHING that's available to you that grants experience. Not just mindlessly doing quests.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. You enjoy grinding quests or generally just doing the same thing over and over. Others enjoy breaking it up a bit and having a variety of tasks to do, so I can do quests for 30 minutes, break that up with a Hunt rift or two if that gets old, happen to pass by an onslught and see people there great I can stop and knock out it's little daily quest, gee whats that a zone event popped, cool, I can do that too, now time for a few more quests. To some people, that is a lot more fun that quest quest quest and that is ok and does not make them a "horrible delusional tool." If anything that makes you one for thinking others must all have the same opinion of a game and the right way to play it as you.

Deleted
    I thought id give it a go since my arena partners in wow are on a break so i reactivated Rift with the new expansion to play my lvl 40 mage.

I instantly remembered why i quit. God damn its boring to quest in this game. Have they improved it somehow by adding more XP in any way?
    I saw there was some potions but that was limited and will hardly last until maxlevel. Any heirlooms or stuff like that?

I thought id give it a go since my arena partners in wow are on a break so i reactivated Rift with the new expansion to play my lvl 40 mage.

I instantly remembered why i quit. God damn its boring to quest in this game. Have they improved it somehow by adding more XP in any way?
    I saw there was some potions but that was limited and will hardly last until maxlevel. Any heirlooms or stuff like that?
    Instant adventures should blast you to 50 super quick, and from there they changed up how the leveling works. Only story quests, and you "stumble" across random quests in the world as well as carnage quests, which you activate simply by killing an eligible monster (mouseover shows if they trigger one or not). Also, hunt rifts. Crazy good XP there.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Instant adventures should blast you to 50 super quick, and from there they changed up how the leveling works. Only story quests, and you "stumble" across random quests in the world as well as carnage quests, which you activate simply by killing an eligible monster (mouseover shows if they trigger one or not). Also, hunt rifts. Crazy good XP there.
    Also, you need to respec Harbinger and go AOE Battle Mage all over the place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite your attempt at an insult, I'll reply to your comment for the benefit of other people who are wondering about this:

So, having variety in the game is not a good thing? Puzzled. I like that there are so many options open to me as I log in. You know, I bitched about the questing in the beginning. I really did. Then, one night, my buddy and I got into a group with like 15 other people and just did Hunt Rifts. It was quite a nice feeling getting the first set done so quick and the xp flew past. Then, I felt like questing again. Then, I was 1/2 way through a zone and I was tired of questing, so I did a bit of PvP, then a few Instant adventures as I wanted to do them before the quest for completing a certain number turned grey. Then, I felt like running a dungeon as I had two quests. I did that, wiped a bit, but the players stuck together and it was a lot of fun.

In the end, with my many distractions, I got to 60 with like 4 zones free. Now when I log on, you know what I feel like doing mostly? Questing and seeing those story-lines. The new chronicle, further 5 tiers of hunt rifts, the new DRR rifts, the zone events I haven't even seen yet, are quite distracting too. So, yes... ALL these give me XP and improve my character via reputation, possible gear rewards and currency that can be used for gear, so it is all worthwhile doing.

It took me three weeks at a casual pace to get my 1st char to 60. I got there not feeling burnt out and really happy.

The story-lines in each zone are pretty good. So, the questing experience (not xp gain, but the experience of leveling) is pretty damn good. In addition, the overall leveling experience was the best of any mmo I have ever played.

Oh, yeah... you can only insult people who actually give a damn about you, or your opinion. Let me put this in perspective for you: As I sit here, at age 40, semi-retired, healthy, financially secure, do you honestly think I care what some random scrub on a forum thinks about me - especially when the comment is so juvenile and irrational?
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-12-22 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    We can only support this. Leaving the throne to WoW without any decent competition creates cataclysm.
    Go RIFT!
    Thats is very true, I thank Trion for making Blizzard move there ass & making WoW better .

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 04:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Probably so.

I really can't name an MMO expansion that tops SL aside from like the first 3 Everquest 1 xpacs. Though that is partially not fair to other MMOs; EQ1 being the quintessential/ideal MMORPG.
    I'm sorry but I will have to re-quote you Fencers from something you have said yourself before. "But TBC is prbly the best MMO Expansion ever released".

I will look, but its prbly barried someone & very hard to find.

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 04:49 PM ----------

All "Best of" lists are opinions. But in cases like this, they're opinions by informed individuals. These are MMO bloggers, they deal with this stuff for their job, so they have a pretty good perspective on it. You're never going to find a review or award you can say is 100% objectively true, they all contain opinion.

As for your italicized parts...

1. The "X GAME/DEV PAID FOR THIS" bullshit is old and tired. Seriously, it rarely occurs (and by that I mean once in a blue moon), and especially not from a smaller dev house like Trion, and a smaller website like Massively. Winning Massively's award is great, but it's not going to really sell boxes. Winning Game Informer or Gamespot's award though, will. So these kind of comments that always crop up when a game someone doesn't like gets a good review/award come off more as comments from people who are butthurt for one reason or another.

2. They don't deal directly with WoW that much, that's what WoW Insider does (they're both under Joystiq). However they still report on the news. Has it ever occurred to you that they just didn't find WoW's expansion too impressive? That's entirely possible, it's been an expansion that has been hit or miss with many people (and the lowest scoring WoW title to date). I don't get the "WoWkiller" comment either. As I said, Massively generally covers non-WoW games for a reason, and they do a superb job of covering both big name and smaller indie titles. I don't think I've ever heard them use "WoW Killer" to describe anything, other than making mention that people might call a game that.

The only difference between your opinion and Massively, is that you have zero credibility to back you up. Massively is a well respected MMO blog that's been around for years and has a reputation as being a pretty solid site for news and opinions. Not always the best, but pretty solid. Not trying to insult you, but do you have any kind of established reputation that backs up your opinions as credible? Not saying that I do either, but just saying that Massively does have weight behind their opinions, where posters on internet forums generally don't.

Edge is right, Massively never features WoW news, but more a less Blizzard news. They are all under same company so there no reason for Massivley to mention WoW News as thats WoW Insiders' job.

This is also opinion of people & doesn't mean that what 1 person or a couple people say matters. But WoW has won anough awards throughout its 8 years there no reason it needs to win anymore. Let these other company's do good work & keep there games going. Its keeps Blizzard on there toes & pushing out great content and it keeps them from creating something like Cataclysm again.

Its something we have said since Wrath, Blizzard needs a competitor, not a big one just a small one that can keep them on there toes as Rift is more like a smurf or more a less a gnome to compared to WoW. But Rift isn't a threat nor a competitor, but once again its more like a wake up call to Blizzard that if you slack off your gunna get bit in the ass.

Its more a less Trion is a Fly that keeps Blizzard motivated to pump out good content, if the Fly dissappears than they get lazy & Cataclysm is born again.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2012-12-22 at 10:00 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    I'm sorry but I will have to re-quote you Fencers from something you have said yourself before. "But TBC is prbly the best MMO Expansion ever released".

I will look, but its prbly barried someone & very hard to find.
    Yea I said, "probably". Not totally sure if I fully have made up my mind on the matter. TBC was really good. Also about as good as the first 3-4 EQ1 xpacs. In many ways better as an Xpac, but lesser as a game. I didn't like World of Warcraft pre-xpac1 actually. I soft quit a bunch of times during "classic" WoW.

It's a margin of 0.5s in my mind. Nostalgia? Maybe so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post

Edge is right, Massively never features WoW news, but more a less Blizzard news. They are all under same company so there no reason for Massivley to mention WoW News as thats WoW Insiders' job.

Well Zam gave SL expansion of the year too. http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31430

They are a site that pretty much features all games equally. Once again opinions are opinions and I don't normally participate in these type of threads for GOTY or w/e since really they are subjective IMO.

Reading and hearing most media's comments on MoP it seems to get the same old response that it's same old. That doesn't make it bad or terrible but for many SL changed it up more for an expansion where WoW follows a predictable safe route to go which is not necessarily bad.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-12-23 at 05:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Well Zam gave SL expansion of the year too. http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31430

They are site that pretty much features all games equally. Once again opinions are opinions and I don't normally participate in these type of threads for GOTY or w/e since really they are subjective IMO.

Reading and hearing most media's comments on MoP it seems to get the same old response that it's same old. That doesn't make it bad or terrible but for many SL changed it up more for an expansion where WoW follows a predictable safe route to go which is not necessarily bad.
    Pretty much sums it up . Zam gave MoP a honourable mention nothing wrong with that.

But its good when other MMOs win awards, makes it feel like WoW isn't the only alive or active MMO around.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to be honest right now, I find everything in this game to be wonderful. The PVE is exquisite, even some of the little bosses in RIFTS and storylines can be quite challenging if you don't know what you're doing. The storyline itself has been complimented a lot and I won't deny that Trion did a excellent job on it. The dungeons, even normal mode dungeons, yes even normal mode dungeons, have a lot of difficulty. I like it. I love it.

Now this is where my quirk is. They really really need to tone down the leveling curve. This isn't because its too challenging. Its because the pacing feels incredibly off. VERY OFF. I went to the continent where you start in Cape Jule and have completed all Cape Jule, City Core (or core city), and Eastern (w/e that name was called, forgot atm). I am now in, I believe, Advent Garden, and I am only level 55... I have done numerous RIFTs, world events, numerous dungeons run, instant adventures, etc. etc. I have done all quests and carnages (except 2 in Eastern w/e) and I am still level 55. The challenge is fine, but they have to question whether or not they feel that the pacing or leveling curve is done right.

Deleted
    I suggest you try levelling from cape and when you run out of quests at that level go to the start zone on Dusken. Just go back and forth following each quest line as you level up. It is that easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    That pretty much nullifies any opinions they have of the MMO-genre. Someone got payed alot to put those titles there. No doubt!
    You probably played neither. The Secret World has the best questing and character development of any MMO, ever. The thing it lacked sadly... was the MMO part... at least while leveling. Once you get to QL10, then its multiplayer.

Ignoring the fact that this topic posters are mostly Rift fans I will still criticize the award.

The jury seems to be more anything but Blizzard crowd with their high opinion of Lord of the Rings and Eve Online.

What makes or breaks a MMO is not the game itself but it is the amount of players a MMO has (in absolute numbers). Activity is what makes WoW king and it is what brings back people playing WoW even after all these years. You can mask activity by server merges (and other stuff ofc) but those things will only help till you have nothing but a group of hardcore fans left.

SWTOR was losing allot of members in a short period because people started to notice that non of their friends where playing anymore, and server mergers won't bring back your friends. I didn't play allot during MoP but when a did (a few months tops) I was mostly bored because non of my real life friends where playing and only a few memebers of my guild still played (now it is different).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Ignoring the fact that this topic posters are mostly Rift fans I will still criticize the award.

The jury seems to be more anything but Blizzard crowd with their high opinion of Lord of the Rings and Eve Online.

What makes or breaks a MMO is not the game itself but it is the amount of players a MMO has (in absolute numbers). Activity is what makes WoW king and it is what brings back people playing WoW even after all these years. You can mask activity by server merges (and other stuff ofc) but those things will only help till you have nothing but a group of hardcore fans left.

SWTOR was losing allot of members in a short period because people started to notice that non of their friends where playing anymore, and server mergers won't bring back your friends. I didn't play allot during MoP but when a did (a few months tops) I was mostly bored because non of my real life friends where playing and only a few memebers of my guild still played (now it is different).
    Hello kitty online, best game ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Activity is what makes WoW king and it is what brings back people playing WoW even after all these years.
    So, if i step outside Stormwind or Orgrimmar and check out zones i'll find 100's of players fighting mobs, doing events and basically making the virtual World seem alive and constantly flowing? right......

That explains why they brought in CRZ then, Cross Realm Servers