Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

THQ files for Bankruptcy

THQ announced it has filed for bankruptcy, according to wire service headlines just now out.

Sad to see this. THQ made some really good games... =(

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...2ee22c0a00006c
    http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...d=yahoobarrons

Deleted
    They own/have a license for a lot of excellent IPs, hopefully at least 40k games won't vanish into oblivion.

Very sad to see, indeed. ):

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that kind of explains the Humble bundle and the free Metro for all...talk about going out in a bang
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

What a sad news

10+ Year Old Account
    Shame to see such a good publisher in trouble. Hopefully Company of Heroes 2 release won't run into any problems as a result.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Well, for now it is just Chapter 11, so no gurantee that they are going anywhere. Doesn't look too promising though. I'm sure at least their more profitable IPs will be bought up and revived if they do fail to restructure.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

I loved their IPs. Too bad it came to this.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry but THQ was a solid company for the most part. With all the companies going under, you really have to wonder what kind of changes we as players need to make. Things just don't seem right with this industry right now.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slipn View Post
    I'm sorry but THQ was a solid company for the most part. With all the companies going under, you really have to wonder what kind of changes we as players need to make. Things just don't seem right with this industry right now.
    we are way to afraid of change as a customer base and new IPs generally scares us, we rather buy the latest installment of (Insert Annual franchise here) then pay money for new IPs sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

Deleted
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! saints row 4 cannot die! *Sobs* was living for that game to come out. so sad to see them in trouble just pray to god that ea doesnt get their hooks into the IP's

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slipn View Post
    I don't really watch TV anymore, but when new games come out. Those with a lot of money will be able to purchase more air time for commercials, the higher their bid the more likely they are able to get the best time for their targeted audience.
    However was always been relatively low as in THQ's place. They get overshadowed by companies like EA and Activision, which then exacerbates the effect.

They did do some bad decisions, but it honestly sucks. =\

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Shame to see such a good publisher in trouble.
    It's kinda funny for me to read this, since THQ have been notorious for their reputation as a "crappy games publisher" during the 16-bit-era. It is a shame that they went bankrupt though. They obviously made themselves over time and it's a sad thing to see a company with a long-running history go.

Quote Originally Posted by Larath View Post
    we are way to afraid of change as a customer base and new IPs generally scares us, we rather buy the latest installment of (Insert Annual franchise here) then pay money for new IPs sadly.
    This is very true but for a lot of people $60 is a lot to shell out for a game that might or might not be good. For most it's better to go with an IP we know is good and we're going to enjoy.

I was annoyed when they changed the dawn of war style to a more squad based mechanic. But when that lead designer left and went on to design diablo 3 I thought maybe THQ could revert the change. But no, the legacy of that designer continues on. ruining franchises one after the other.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikkr View Post
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! saints row 4 cannot die! *Sobs* was living for that game to come out. so sad to see them in trouble just pray to god that ea doesnt get their hooks into the IP's
    well, atleast if EA gets ahold if it, they game will come out *shrug*

ugh, THQ was a solid company, it's really sad to see shit like this happen to them. Hope they can restructure and get through this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larath View Post
    well, atleast if EA gets ahold if it, they game will come out *shrug*
    No please. No. Not EA.

All because they never let Relic make Homeworld 3

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    No please. No. Not EA.
    well, its not that long ago they released a whole bunch of new IPs which were actually really enjoyable like Mirror's Edge (gimme a second game plz :<)