Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dont count them out yet.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision

Activison filed for bankruptcy and look at them now. I'm pretty sure they are the biggest publisher in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Dont count them out yet.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision

Activison filed for bankruptcy and look at them now. I'm pretty sure they are the biggest publisher in the world.
    Depends on your definition of biggest publisher.

Their market capital is a lot higher than EA.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ATVI&ql=0
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=EA&ql=1
    (The actual stock $ does not matter in this case as it's just because of stock splits).
    However they do not have as many devs / IPs at their disposal, so it depends on how you want to look at it.

Fuck. Fuck fucking fucked fuck.

THQ was one of the rare publishers that actually seemed to go for "gaming over profits" style. They have so many excellent PC games and IPs it sickens me how these goes under while games like CoD and it's modern shooter ilk keep festering upon the crowds of stupid sheep.

Fucking fuck.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    wait so what wil lhappen too : the stick of truth :"(

this is a real big shame 2 see we are losing THQ. I just hope there titles and stuff will land with people that can atleast keep it up.

No Tusk Club.

EA's not gonna buy them up!?!? don't they want to ruin some more franchises?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostblade View Post
    wait so what wil lhappen too : the stick of truth :"(
    It will not affect Stick of the Truth in any way. The game is paid by the creators of South Park and in this case, THQ was only the third party. If it goes under proper, as it seems, they'll just find new publisher for it.

Games you should be worried about are like Company of Heroes 2
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It will not affect Stick of the Truth in any way. The game is paid by the creators of South Park and in this case, THQ was only the third party. If it goes under proper, as it seems, they'll just find new publisher for it.

Games you should be worried about are like Company of Heroes 2
    Oh god I hope that isn't effected.

So many things I wanted to see released... dark millenium, darksiders continuation, dawn of war 3, maybe another space marine game, saints row 4.

God damn it, EA should switch places with them, EA don't deserve a cent they own.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That really sucks. They have several IP's I really enjoy(ed) and CoH was one of my favorite games of all time. I was really looking forward to CoH2 as well...hopefully it still gets released and without it being too 'reworked' by whatever studio takes it over.

EDIT:
    THQ president Jason Rubin added on Twitter that Company of Heroes 2, Metro: Last Light and South Park: The Stick of Truth are “still on schedule.”
    Well, that's good hear at least.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-12-19 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipn View Post
    I'm sorry but THQ was a solid company for the most part. With all the companies going under, you really have to wonder what kind of changes we as players need to make. Things just don't seem right with this industry right now.
    People are tired of paying $60 for 10-12 hours of gameplay. There are just way too many other options now and game companies are not adapting. This won't be the last one to fall for failure to adapt.

Also, South Park Stick of Truth is hopefully mostly done and will either be finished or picked up by someone else.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Oh god I hope that isn't effected.

So many things I wanted to see released... dark millenium, darksiders continuation, dawn of war 3, maybe another space marine game, saints row 4.

God damn it, EA should switch places with them, EA don't deserve a cent they own.
    No thank you. Since EA is responsible for about 1000 great games (Literally) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nic_Arts_games

whereas THQ, maybe 20.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post

No thank you. Since EA is responsible for about 1000 great games (Literally) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nic_Arts_games

whereas THQ, maybe 20.
    That list gives 1,019 games, and I can assure you there are more than 19 that aren't great. That list also includes iOS apps and general use software that isn't even a game, and games that were developed and published elsewhere before EA bought and republished. Overall the total number of EA games is significantly less than 1000.

And looking at the percentages, since EA has published so many more games than THQ it just makes sense that they'd have more great games. Throw a million pitches and you are bound to get at least a few strikes. What really matters is the percentage. 1000 games published with 100 hits is not really better than 30 games published with 20 hits.

I don't actually know anything about total games for THQ, so I'm not saying they are better or worse than EA, just that EA did not literally have 1000 great games, and even if they had more great games than THQ, that doesn't make them a better publisher just because they had more flops too.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Deleted
    And I was thinking they might survive enough to launch Metro and then it would carry them a bit until the next Saints Row and then they'd finally go on plus again... seems I was wrong, pity.

I hope it isn't EA who buys them. Or Activision.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Depends on your definition of biggest publisher.

Their market capital is a lot higher than EA.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ATVI&ql=0
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=EA&ql=1
    (The actual stock $ does not matter in this case as it's just because of stock splits).
    However they do not have as many devs / IPs at their disposal, so it depends on how you want to look at it.
    EA even refers to themself as the 2nd largest publisher

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larath View Post
    well, atleast if EA gets ahold if it, they game will come out *shrug*
    yeah but ive seen what EA do to games. i mean christ when they took over bioware ME3 was already half finished. Then they put the burner on to get it out asap and we got 'the ending'. i shudder to think what theyd do SR4 (apart from day1 on disk dlc)

Goodbye I suppose - we had some good times.

Im okay with this.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikkr View Post
    yeah but ive seen what EA do to games. i mean christ when they took over bioware ME3 was already half finished. Then they put the burner on to get it out asap and we got 'the ending'. i shudder to think what theyd do SR4 (apart from day1 on disk dlc)
    they just go where the money is frankly, creating games today isn't cheap at all unless your doing indie games and they don't bring profit unless you spend the money and sadly the big guns have the money, so they need to get the share for new games somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    That really sucks. They have several IP's I really enjoy(ed) and CoH was one of my favorite games of all time. I was really looking forward to CoH2 as well...hopefully it still gets released and without it being too 'reworked' by whatever studio takes it over.

EDIT:

Well, that's good hear at least.
    Metro Last Light still going. <3

It's a shame. Darksiders II and Saint's Row 3 were 2 of the most fun games I've played this generation.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really surprised. They closed 2 development studios in Brisbane and Melbourne within the last 12-24 months I think.|

Upon saying that, Australia is a bad place for game development. The costs are high, the returns are low and the government (until recently) didn't want a piece of the pie that makes up video games, something about it being pointless (even though it's bigger than the film industry nowadays). The only decent games we've produced are LA Noire (they went bankrupt about a year after that was released) and some Facebook games/apps.

Such a bummer. Big fan of Vigil, Volition and Relic games, and those games were allowed to exist and evolve because of THQ. Sure, THQ isn't my favorite publisher, but I'd take 3 THQs over an EA or Activision any day of the week. Darksiders is easily one of my favorite IPs this generation. Countless hours have been spent in the Saint's Row games. Relic is the current king of the RTS, IMO, and I hope CoH2 is released on schedule. While Dawn of War may not have been as canon as it could have been, the game(s) are hugely fun and entertaining, and I still play them today.

My biggest fear, however, is in the future of Relic. Unless they become their own entity and then Stardock jumps in to publish for them, I don't see them finding a happy ending. Both EA and Activision would gut them, I could *maybe* see UbiSoft being OK, since they do publish the Anno games (which are non-console strategy games).

Other than NC shutting down Paragon Studios, this is probably the worst news of the year for me, at least on the gaming front.