Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Bleh, I would actually say UbiSoft would be worse than EA or Activision. UPlay is by far the worst thing to come to PC gaming
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    UPlay is by far the worst thing to come to PC gaming
    I can agree with that, though Games for Windows Live is right there behind it. Yeah, forgot about that UPlay crap. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Larath View Post
    we are way to afraid of change as a customer base and new IPs generally scares us, we rather buy the latest installment of (Insert Annual franchise here) then pay money for new IPs sadly.
    That is because of unfinished, shitty games and false advertizing.

War Z, Duke Nukem(Not really new, but pretty much), most MMOs(WAR, AION, TERRA, AOC, DnDO, ECT), that just a few games.

I mean, the whole industry is based around advertizing. It's the same shit with movies as well. So, in my opinion, it's the industry that has let US down. So we are scared to lay down hard earned money, to try and give new IPs a chance.

For example, steam sale had, Spellforce Platinum, Spellforce 2 Gold, and an Expansion for SF2, all for 10 bucks. So I thought, WTF it's 10 bucks, let's try it. I honestly wish I had kept my 10 bucks.

Spellforce is like a half-assed WC3 campaign built around a game. It's inventory system is complicated, you cannot quick cast from your action bar, you don't have a life bar pop on hover overs, and you cannot select all units then cast on to your selected units from the action bar. You have to single them out on the field, if you have more then 10-15 units, it's nigh impossible to cast on them. I'm not even going to get started on the "build an Army part" of the game.

So yeah, I mean WTF are we suppose to do with games like Spellforce on the market? That is why pirating exists in it's current form.

10+ Year Old Account
    THQ has published some solid games, sad day for gaming indeed.

Deleted
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...and-studios-go

I'm too lazy atm to check if this has already been linked.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2012-12-20 at 07:30 AM.

It's only Chapter 11. If the games that come out next year don't sell, then I would bet there IPs will be sold off and they will close.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    So yeah, I mean WTF are we suppose to do with games like Spellforce on the market? That is why pirating exists in it's current form.
    yeah, no.

pirating excists cause people are cheapskates, thats all it is, people even pirate games who has demos readily available to them.

and its just a general statement, people are afraid of change in almost all forms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, no.

pirating excists cause people are cheapskates, thats all it is, people even pirate games who has demos readily available to them.

and its just a general statement, people are afraid of change in almost all forms.
    Not everyone pirates because they're cheapskates. I often pirate games just to see if they're worth the money, if they are, I will buy them. I frequently fund projects on kickstarters, buy a new game almost every month, pay for cosmetic stuff in MMO cash shops. If the developers deserve my money for their work, they will get it from me. However, I want to test drive my car before I buy it, I want to see if my shoes fit. I want to see if my game is fun.

IIRC, there was even a study that showed that pirating has had a positive influence on the market as well.

I'm not saying everyone should pirate games, and I will condone people pirating because they just don't want to pay for games. But in return, consider that not everyone who pirates games does it for the wrong reasons.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Not everyone pirates because they're cheapskates. I often pirate games just to see if they're worth the money, if they are, I will buy them. I frequently fund projects on kickstarters, buy a new game almost every month, pay for cosmetic stuff in MMO cash shops. If the developers deserve my money for their work, they will get it from me. However, I want to test drive my car before I buy it, I want to see if my shoes fit. I want to see if my game is fun.

IIRC, there was even a study that showed that pirating has had a positive influence on the market as well.

I'm not saying everyone should pirate games, and I will condone people pirating because they just don't want to pay for games. But in return, consider that not everyone who pirates games does it for the wrong reasons.
    I haven't pirated a game in my life personally, I do the research and if I'm not sure about a game after watching all information I still don't pirate it if there is no demo available I simply don't buy it, its the same as the people paying 0.01 on a humble bundle, ending up costing the guys hosting it money and in return getting games worth 100+ dollars.

most people who pirate don't buy the game after if they enjoy them or they wait for a 75% sale and buy it then to justify it to themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

For everyone freaking out:

THQ has already updated that they are still working on numerous games. Any offer only includes the US divisions, so Canadian and other International studies are not included (So Relic is good). There current games under development should all come out, and the price for the company can only go up if other investors start bidding.

Everything, at this point, depends upon who ends up purchasing the four studios, but I have doubts that we will fail to see a Darksiders 3, Saints Row 4, and the South Park Game at the very least, unless something much worse is going on at the studios.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't pirated a game in my life personally, I do the research and if I'm not sure about a game after watching all information I still don't pirate it if there is no demo available I simply don't buy it, its the same as the people paying 0.01 on a humble bundle, ending up costing the guys hosting it money and in return getting games worth 100+ dollars.

most people who pirate don't buy the game after if they enjoy them or they wait for a 75% sale and buy it then to justify it to themselves.
    Oh I'm sure a lot of people will pirate simply because they are cheap. And I agree that that behavior is bad for the market, resulting in DRM getting more and more annoying. It's also making developers an publishers step away from the PC gaming market.

I can assure you that it will be a standard for pc games to have a constant connection to a server, even for single player games. (Remember the outcry for D3 requiring you to be logged in to bnet at all times? It's going to get worse)

People who pirate and never buy are rotten apples in the basket, no doubt about it. People like me, who sometimes/often pirate games, but buy the ones they like, have no negative influence for the developers whatsoever.

I also bought the thq bundle btw, for 10 dollars, which is still too low for the offer, but was at the time double the average
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellerx12 View Post
    It's only Chapter 11. If the games that come out next year don't sell, then I would bet there IPs will be sold off and they will close.
    I guess that means that the fate of the company is in the hands of the gamers, if we want THQ to survive, we should make sure we buy their games, and buy them new

So now we just need to keep a track of where the THQ guys end up. Although it's kind of gutting to see THQ crash and burn, I'm pretty sure they'll get absorbed into other companies.

Well they are only a publisher, as long as relic is fine with the 40k licence it's all good. To bad for THQ though i hope they recover.
    Do you hear the voices too?

So, the rumor treadmill has started.

Ubisoft plots THQ bid

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubiso...hq-bid/0108645
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Fuck Ubisoft and their Uplay.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I hope that their CEO and upper level executives will be ok.
    winner!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    winner!!!!!
    To be honest that was a bit of an unfair call because unlike infamous EA and Activision whom without care just change and destroy studios on popularity and immediate sales basis THQ has been keeping pretty much all studios alive and even now supports the creation of the yet to be finished titles.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    To be honest that was a bit of an unfair call because unlike infamous EA and Activision whom without care just change and destroy studios on popularity and immediate sales basis THQ has been keeping pretty much all studios alive and even now supports the creation of the yet to be finished titles.
    Most recently yes, but as recent as Homefront, they were axing studios with nearly as much frequency as EA/Activision.

How can a company that has made some of the best IPs go down like this? This makes me extremely sad.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing