1. #1

    Converting OCZ Vertex 4: 7mm! :)

    Just bought an Asus zenbook ux32vd, and I want to put a nice SSD into it. Most SSD's are 9mm in height, and I've seen videos of vertex 3's having the back plate removed to shorten it to 7mm. Is this possible with a vertex 4 drive? My other options are to go with a Vertex 3 LP (low profile), Samsung 830, or Crucial m4...all of which have lower IOPS. Thanks

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,255
    IOPS are not something you will be able to tell the difference with, also, iirc your laptop comes with an SSD already

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    IOPS are not something you will be able to tell the difference with, also, iirc your laptop comes with an SSD already
    Only a hybrid drive, the SSD is used only as caching (the HDD itself is a slow 5400 rpm). I assumed 4k IOPS determined how many calls the SSD could make per second of 4k file sizes...or something?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    IOPS are not something you will be able to tell the difference with, also, iirc your laptop comes with an SSD already
    Actually unless you spend your day copying 1GB+ files (nobody does), IOPS is the benchmark you should use to measure SSD performance. Most of us use it for randomly accessing small files in a row, which is why IOPS > sustained read

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    Actually unless you spend your day copying 1GB+ files (nobody does), IOPS is the benchmark you should use to measure SSD performance. Most of us use it for randomly accessing small files in a row, which is why IOPS > sustained read
    Yea that's my understanding...vertex 4 is a sick drive with nice speeds at a decent price but I just want to be sure I can at least slim it down to fit in that ultrabook. I have 3 other vertex 3's in my desktop and I've never had an issue with them so I'd like to stick to the same brand

  6. #6
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,255
    Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    Actually unless you spend your day copying 1GB+ files (nobody does), IOPS is the benchmark you should use to measure SSD performance. Most of us use it for randomly accessing small files in a row, which is why IOPS > sustained read
    there are many professionals that do transfer 1GB files, and no, you as a human will not ever be able to tell the difference between an M4, 830, and Vertex4, this is why benchmark programs are made in the first place

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Yea that's my understanding...vertex 4 is a sick drive with nice speeds at a decent price but I just want to be sure I can at least slim it down to fit in that ultrabook. I have 3 other vertex 3's in my desktop and I've never had an issue with them so I'd like to stick to the same brand
    i would suggest a slim SSD then, look at an intel 520 instead of slimming down a V4, don't shred an already questionable drive that you then have no warranty with

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

  7. #7
    Going off-topic here in my own thread, but what is your little math problem in signature area supposed to represent Cyanotical?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    there are many professionals that do transfer 1GB files, and no, you as a human will not ever be able to tell the difference between an M4, 830, and Vertex4, this is why benchmark programs are made in the first place



    i would suggest a slim SSD then, look at an intel 520 instead of slimming down a V4, don't shred an already questionable drive that you then have no warranty with
    V4 questionable? I havent heard any reports of that drive being questionable. Sure, it is OCZ... but they have dramatically improved in quality.

  9. #9
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,255
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    V4 questionable? I havent heard any reports of that drive being questionable. Sure, it is OCZ... but they have dramatically improved in quality.
    they are having boot issues in many laptops, the drive doesn't initialize fast enough to be picked up by the BIOS

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Evildeffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nieuwegein, Netherlands
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    they are having boot issues in many laptops, the drive doesn't initialize fast enough to be picked up by the BIOS
    This issue was firmware fixed in 1.4.1.2.
    Firmware 1.5 has since then be released.

    You should be fine with using the drive.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Just bought an Asus zenbook ux32vd, and I want to put a nice SSD into it. Most SSD's are 9mm in height, and I've seen videos of vertex 3's having the back plate removed to shorten it to 7mm. Is this possible with a vertex 4 drive? My other options are to go with a Vertex 3 LP (low profile), Samsung 830, or Crucial m4...all of which have lower IOPS. Thanks
    I just voided my warranty by taking the case off the vertex 4, its now mounted in my HP Elite 2760p which only accept 7mm thin drive, I installed Win8 just fine. Too bad OCZ doesnt make it 7mm thin but im glad the retrofit worked out

    Hope it helps others

  12. #12
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    OP go for a Corsair CSSD-F240GB3A-NB , works like a charm . (did the same with my own ux32vd)
    also warranty shouldn't be lost since there aren't any void stickers in place on the inside in regards to hdd/ssd bay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •