Need a 3rd Monitor, only one video card.

So I've got two monitors currently connected to my video card, but thats the limitation of it. I'd like to get a third monitor up and runnnig just for basic internet browsing. I've been hearing bad things about USB Adapters refresh rates, so I was wondering what your suggestions are.

I'm not sure if it exists, but some sort of adapter that you can connect 2 monitors to that transforms into one cable to plug into my video card would be ideal. My buddy at work says he has one with 3 monitor plug ins but he payed 299 for his and I'm not looking to spend nearly that much. (Essentially a splitter)

Any ideas on this?
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-12-20 at 02:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the 3 monitor plug he is talking about is the triplehead2go, it creates a single logical monitor, for surround setups

USB devices are more of a temporary thing, and the cheap ones generally dont work well or end up crapping out after a few months, i would suggest you either upgrade your GPU to a modern one capable of driving 3+ screens, or add a second one

The GPU is a 460 GTX, but no means is it not "modern". It still only supports two monitor plug ins.

Assuming your motherboard has a spare PCI or PCIe x1 slot, an extra graphics card would cost you around $10-$25 and solve the problem perfectly fine.

The 460GTX became available for purchase April 2010.

2 1/2 years gives your graphics card some gray hairs.

You can purchase an incredibly cheap graphics card from newegg that would do the trick or you could purchase a comparable ATI card with Eyefinity that will run 3+ with display port adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Progar View Post
    The 460GTX became available for purchase April 2010.

2 1/2 years gives your graphics card some gray hairs.

You can purchase an incredibly cheap graphics card from newegg that would do the trick or you could purchase a comparable ATI card with Eyefinity that will run 3+ with display port adapters.
    The last thing I want is to stuff another video card into my tower. Additionally, I'm not going to use an ATI card. Ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    600 series nvidia cards also run 3-4 screens

however, if its possible to add a second gpu, like a simple 9800gt will run fine

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    The last thing I want is to stuff another video card into my tower.
    Why? It would be quite harmless and absolutely the easiest and cheapest way to solve your problem...

Second video card or a newer video card.

The other options are USB-to-DVI / VGA adapters, but the performance video-wise is terrible and they can be pricey (~80-100.) The other option is a Matrox TripleHead2Go, but this is a rather expensive option (300 ish?) and it is restrictive on the resolutions you use, ie, all 3 monitors have to have the same resolution, and it may not support 1080P unless they updated it recently.

Do you have a Clarkdale/Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge based setup and a Z## or H## chipset?
    In that case, you should be able to plug it into the motherboards' display-out ports!

15+ Year Old Account
    The last thing I want is to stuff another video card into my tower. Additionally, I'm not going to use an ATI card. Ever.
    The get a USB adapter. You've just proved to yourself that's the only option.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Do you have a Clarkdale/Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge based setup and a Z## or H## chipset?
    In that case, you should be able to plug it into the motherboards' display-out ports!
    I'm using a Z68P-DS3 motherboard with an i5 2500k. Does that fit such criteria? Sounds like it does.

I'm using a Z68P-DS3 motherboard with an i5 2500k. Does that fit such criteria? Sounds like it does.
    Yes, that should be sufficient. Either through HDMI->monitor or HDMI->DVI->monitor.
    You might have to (re)activate the integrated graphics in the BIOS if you disabled it.