Using Tables on MMOC

I wasn't sure where to ask this question. Since there isn't a "troubleshooting" section of the website, I assumed this might be the next best place.

How might a user create and alter the attributes of a table in a post?

Through trial and error, I've quickly learned that [.table] [.th] [.tr] [.td] (without the dots — I use them to avoid those being mistaken as tags) are usable. But I can't seem to apply any attributes, such as width or cellpadding, to those. I've also come to realize there is a method for creating tables that the site admins use, which appears to use the syntax [.nobr]<table><tr><td></td></tr></table>[/.nobr]; but I've tried using that same syntax to no avail. My best guess is that functionality is not available to users, or else there's something wrong with how I'm using it.

So if it's true that users can only use the [.table] tags, do these tags come with attributes? Or are our tables limited to borderless blocks of clumped-together text?

15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of the attributes as you describe are disabled for the forum. I myself have tried using them in the past and failed.

The site admins do however have access to using them. That's why the front page looks so sexy.

Edit: To add to this, you can emulate some features by dropping blank row/columns to make the lines thicker etc. You can also manipulate the width via % or pixels. That's about it though.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-12-20 at 03:06 AM.

Using the "width" attribute seems to break the code. And blank rows/columns appear to have a width of 0, so there's no change in the dimensions of the table.

15+ Year Old Account
    Name Address Notes
    AAA AAA AAA
    BBB BBB BBB

vs

Name Address Notes
    AAA AAA AAA
    BBB BBB BBB

Top has:

Code:
    [table="width: 900, class: grid"]
    The bottom does not. Otherwise both table codes are identical.

stuff and
    and fluff
    Pooh Bear

Code:
    [table="width: 500, class: grid"]
    [tr]
    	[td]stuff[/td]
    	[td]and[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    	[td]and[/td]
    	[td]fluff[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    	[td]Pooh[/td]
    	[td]Bear[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    The easy way though is when you are posting click the "Go Advanced" button and on the new text box there is a button that if you hover over it, it says "Table" (looks like a chart/table). Then you get a pop-up that lets you set rows, columns, width, and if you want any sort of borders. Doesn't look as fancy as what the admins can do, but it gets the job done

Thank you both! Much appreciated and very helpful