Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Warchief Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the mountains
    Posts
    2,123

    Red face finals support thread

    finals are coming up pretty soon and it can be a very stressful time for us college students. lets use this thread to support each other in the upcoming weeks. post your fears/doubts/questions or if u just want advice on something.


    together we can get through this
    Milk was a bad choice.

    2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

  2. #2
    Ah, remember those days. Good luck, and cheers to coffee
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Well when you put it that way Obamacare is a lot like Iraq...

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    post your fears/doubts/questions or if u just want advice on something.
    Question: should I study?

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,349
    OMG YES. It's fucking crunch time like never before because of hurricane sandy making me hav to play catch up on work.

    Plus some crazy ass classes and so many papers to write.

  5. #5
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    9,279
    My biomedical science, patient care assessment module, and pharmaceutical science classes consist of.. oh.... probably 800 pages combined of level 400 biochemistry information. Thrown in with a compounding lab with making 3 perfect compounds within an hour and a half, with rules so strict that a slightly skewed label is a 5% deduction. All accumulative with equal point distribution across the entire semester.

    Woo finals!

    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    probably 800 pages combined of level 400 biochemistry information
    So, you're saying it's no big deal?

    My girlfriend's in her first year of her biochemistry Ph.D. this year, so she's got something fairly similar ahead of her, I suppose. It's weird, she's one of the few people I know that just sort of shrugs and says, "yeah, I'll do those". It's a good trait though!

    I did not enjoy biochemistry, to put it lightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Well when you put it that way Obamacare is a lot like Iraq...

  7. #7
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    9,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    So, you're saying it's no big deal?

    My girlfriend's in her first year of her biochemistry Ph.D. this year, so she's got something fairly similar ahead of her, I suppose. It's weird, she's one of the few people I know that just sort of shrugs and says, "yeah, I'll do those". It's a good trait though!

    I did not enjoy biochemistry, to put it lightly.
    I didn't enjoy the fundamentals of biochemistry I had last year, at all... but now its all application. For example, I had two straight weeks in one class about the different pharmacokinetics associated with dosage forms (though I admit the three straight weeks after that of drug concentration graphs was a headache). Had a week in BMS that was focusing on the exact molecular structure forming nuclear pore complexes and the associated proteins and such... it's definitely harder than my first few years, but it's what I came all the way to the US to learn.

    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

  8. #8
    Dreadlord Angrybathtub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    758
    I've been going at it for almost 7 hours straight of Linear Algebra problems, I think I've done all the questions at the end of each chapter. My test isn't for another week but at least I'm beginning to break my horrible procrastination habits.

    Good luck all!

  9. #9
    My brain hurts. Better luck to yours.

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Wookeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    780
    I always wondered why people fuzz about this. Can't you simply do them again and again after you fail until you get it right without doing an entire year over again ? It's possible here, which is why i never did any homework and never had a single sweat about it.

  11. #11
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    9,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    I always wondered why people fuzz about this. Can't you simply do them again and again after you fail until you get it right without doing an entire year over again ? It's possible here, which is why i never did any homework and never had a single sweat about it.
    That not being an option in the US where I attend college aside.... that seems like an incredibly unethical way to approach the education that prepares you for the future.

    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

  12. #12
    Dreadlord Wookeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    That not being an option in the US where I attend college aside.... that seems like an incredibly unethical way to approach the education that prepares you for the future.
    It's better than stressing and losing sleep over something that's not the end of the world. If you fail, big deal, get back on your feet and try again. Nobody's perfect. Bit if you have to do an entire year over AND in the United States... yeah i can see that might be something that'll prolly cost you a whole lot of money.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    I always wondered why people fuzz about this. Can't you simply do them again and again after you fail until you get it right without doing an entire year over again ? It's possible here, which is why i never did any homework and never had a single sweat about it.
    Education costs money. If you failed so many subjects that you didn't finish your degree in the allotted years, you'd have to enroll in new semesters in order to complete it, which means paying more money.

    Also, you'll have to study for them at some point, so why not make that point the first time around?

  14. #14
    Anyone else consider revision to just be cheating?

    I mean filling your short-term memory moments before the exam so you can forget it straight afterwards.... does that really show any competency?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    When you start icing down your balls to lower your potency, I will start checking my cervix for mucus and taking my temp daily. Deal?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Anyone else consider revision to just be cheating?

    I mean filling your short-term memory moments before the exam so you can forget it straight afterwards.... does that really show any competency?
    It doesn't, but sadly that's how most educational systems currently work. Mine included (and no matter what anyone says, when you talk to someone who's currently working in the field, they'll tell you the degree has zero relevance, and it's the internship that does the actual teaching).
    I believe it was the Finnish system that eliminated exams?

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer N-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Anyone else consider revision to just be cheating?

    I mean filling your short-term memory moments before the exam so you can forget it straight afterwards.... does that really show any competency?
    I don't usually need to revise Math (calculus) and physics. On the other hand, I have to revise geology and geophysics related courses before each exam.

  17. #17
    Warchief Waaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,145
    Don't procrastinate! as I am procrastinating right now as I type this sentence. Ohhh oceanography, why must you be so unbelievable boring and useless.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 09:05 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    It doesn't, but sadly that's how most educational systems currently work. Mine included (and no matter what anyone says, when you talk to someone who's currently working in the field, they'll tell you the degree has zero relevance, and it's the internship that does the actual teaching).
    I believe it was the Finnish system that eliminated exams?
    Brb, moving to Finland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Don't procrastinate! as I am procrastinating right now as I type this sentence. Ohhh oceanography, why must you be so unbelievable boring and useless.
    But it's soooo much fun!
    I love procrastinating. And after every procrastinated paper I write, I tell myself that next time things will be different; I'll start it earlier. Obviously, that doesn't happen.
    Because procrastinating is so much fun

  19. #19
    Just remember, procrastination is like masturbation...

    So glad finals are all behind me now. Now I procrastinate all day every day >_>

  20. #20
    Warchief Waaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    But it's soooo much fun!
    I love procrastinating. And after every procrastinated paper I write, I tell myself that next time things will be different; I'll start it earlier. Obviously, that doesn't happen.
    Because procrastinating is so much fun
    ERRR!! I hate that I agree with you on every one of your points! >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •