Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Unholy is likely to be buffed in 5.2 - blue tweet

Hey guys,

So I guess you saw the front page - it's very likely that UH will be buffed come next patch.

Let's discuss here what you PERSONALLY would like to see buffed, in PVE or PVP

I could start with PVP:
    1. I'd like to have the pet stun with energy requirement removed
    2. I'd like to have the pet stamina scaling buffed, now it's 50% of your total health, I think about 75% would be right.
    3. I'd like to have a little bit faster ramp-up time, regardless how they decide to do it. For example, transformation could require 3 and not 5 charges of shadow infusion.

What is your wish-list?

Edit: In one of the recent interviews, Mike Morhaime said they read fan sites because often the discussion is better there and the feedback is more worthy
    Last edited by mmocf92f1f87d7; 2012-12-20 at 10:15 AM.

My post is specifically talking from a PvE standpoint.

Less pet bugs and less ramp up preferably. I'm not fond of pet specs as it is, but I don't mind Unholy that much, but it gets boring fast when your pet runs through Lava and dies (Firelands), runs through the air and despawns (Tentacles on Deathwing).

Ideas:
    • Gary:
      • Remove or reduce the cost for Gary.
      • Make Gary come out a LOT faster; it feels like you have to wait forever after using it.
    • Timmy:
      • Fix the pet AI bugs as mentioned above.
      • If RP cost for Gary isn't removed/reduced, gain two Shadow Infusion stacks from using Gary - Feels bland after using all that RP.
      • Reduce the Death Coils needed to use Dark Transformation - or outright just have it as a CD (though that's less involving.)
      • Give Unholy another CD which increases damage, not just haste.
    • Death Knight:
      • Fix AoE, you're still left with spare Frost Runes which seems clunky. Festering Strike fixes this in single target.

Note: I haven't played Unholy since MoP hit, so I could be out on a few details/changes.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-12-20 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Format/added more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post

Note: I haven't played Unholy since MoP hit, so I could be out on a few details/changes.
    You seem pretty updated actually as these are the main PVE drawbacks as of now

Deleted
    Im playing Unholy right now as my second specc and mostly my dps and everthing is higher than all frost dks im in the group...dont see why everyone plays frost....

Quote Originally Posted by Jolieftw View Post
    Im playing Unholy right now as my second specc and mostly my dps and everthing is higher than all frost dks im in the group...dont see why everyone plays frost....
    Because Frost is higher DPS, and as mentioned by both the OP and myself, has too many drawbacks compared to Frost. Frost has better single-target burst, less ramp-up time, better AoE, better cleave and better damage whilst getting to a target. I'm sorry to say, but you have been playing with Death Knights who are 'less experienced' than yourself. This isn't the point of the topic though, so let's not derail it further. List some reasons, ideas or improvements you would like to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    i like unholy but there something about the rotation that just annoys the @$(% out of me. id like the see some changes to festering strike. if you at any time need to use anything other then FS it mess up the rotation completely.

no RP cost on gary plus a complete overhaul on him in a hole.
    either a tweek to the number of stack we need for dark tranfusion or lower the RP cost of death coil to put in more in line with FS.
    id like to see the CD of unholy frenzy lower to 2 mins so its more in line with other offenive cds.

Deleted
    my wishlist would be to give frost dk's some better defence or remove chillblains as a talent and replace it with some frost def armor kinda like bone shield but frost based,

i cant belive there not improving frost def/survivability in 5.2 when we die so bloody fast its unreal you cant do any form of pvp, whats point getting arena gear as a frost dk makes no difference and pvp power and resilence dnt seem to do fuck all i was doing karasang dailies yesterday and i got hit by a fire mage pyro blast for like 100k. GJ BLIZZ, they seem to nerf the wrong classes and buff the wrong classes do they even play there own game i highly doubt it, but dk's need a buff to def and survivability since our only form of staying alive is death pact which we can be silenced out of.

That's another thing I forgot Ghostomc! AoE is pretty silly as you end up having spare Frost Runes sitting doing nothing as you use FeS for single-target. Ugh!

A change to garry would be nice. It's a bit sad to have some burst that gives so little extra. He's worth using, but it's not like you enjoy it much, since the raise in your dps is somewhat lackluster.

I'm not so fond of the idea with just 3 stacks for Jimmy. Doing so, would make him being up all the time, except the time it takes to throw the 3 stacks on him, meaning he did a larger potion of the dps, which can make you feel a bit obsolete yourself, and even more dependent on him being alive and functional.
    I'dd like some better way to keep him alive though. Having him die with the CD on him is just painfull. Might just be me that is a bit nabby with him. It doesn't really happy for my lockpets, and even if it does i can res him again.
    Overall i like jimmys dps. I'dd rather see the changes be to us. Our survivability, and damage.
    I wouldn't mind to have to pay a lot of RP, or runes to get him back up. Still better than a while without him.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I don't really understand why people keep saying frost priority is easier to manage, and that unholy has this ridiculous ramp up time. The rotation is SOO easy, it took me 1 run through LFR to understand it completely. If you have death runes, Scourge strike, otherwise festering. Keep Runic power high, but don't cap while waiting for ghoul's cd. If your diseases fell off, you did something wrong, press outbreak. BAM that's it, rotation easy peasy.

I love a lot of things about unholy, with rolling blood, and using your festering strike twice to get 4 death runes, you can use blood boil 4 times do sustained aoe forever, literally, while having 2 spare unholy runes available for DnD/soul reaper/timmy.

Sure it's less dps, but unless your pushing for world firsts, or trying to make up slack for other people in your raid group it's not a big enough difference to get all heated at people and rage on the forums.

To be honest with you, I still don't really understand frost. I just don't like it, never have, probably never will. The whole idea of leaving an unholy rune untouched to game death rune procs from runic empowerment seems broken and clunky. Mastering procs to reach best dps, constantly smashing your howling blast button, 2 different main hand enchants depending on AoE/Single target. These are all things I don't like about frost.

To be honest the only things I see wrong with unholy is our pets. Gargoyle should be worth the runic power, there's no reason why it shouldn't. The ghoul should behave exactly like a hunter's pet in terms of reliability. You never hear hunters saying they don't play beast mastery because their pet dies a lot and sits there not attacking for extended periods of time. We shouldn't have to pool RP, I guess, it's not that game breaking honestly, but it's a VERY slight annoyance.

The ability to play ghoulless unholy, or with a pet UI that isnt completely bonkers. Would much prefer petless though.

Sweet, here is my wish list (Christmas list):

- Timmy needs a slight buff in dmg and needs to die less or reduce cd on raise dead
    - Buff our useless talents or just get rid of them
    - Redesign scourge strike to do PURE shadow dmg (like in wotlk) or just buff the shadow portion
    - Bring back desecration (to unholys) make it proc off of SS only and the proc has a 3 sec cd (to prevent spamming puddles)
    - Death coil dmg needs slight buff
    - Unholy frenzy should no longer do deal 3% of your max hp every 3 sec
    - Have gary scale with mastery!! or make gary feel like a 3 min cd

Idk if that sounds balanced to you, but i hope something happens and i still agree unholy is decent atm.

Deleted
    Bring back Wandering Plague for the AoE fix. - or something similar.

For single target, something that incorporates Death Coil and Scourge Strike to create a little more synergy i.e:

Wrath of the Plaguebringer: SS has X% chance to increase the damage (or even just crit damage) of your next DC by X%.
    Last edited by mmoc8c32716f2c; 2012-12-20 at 02:16 PM.

Deleted
    That's another thing I forgot Ghostomc! AoE is pretty silly as you end up having spare Frost Runes sitting doing nothing as you use FeS for single-target. Ugh!
    You're doing it wrong. Before AoE-period starts you should've turned all your blood+frost runes into death runes already with festering. Blood boil spam will keep these as death runes, so the only single targeting you're doing in an aoe situation is scourge strike/soul reaper for the 2 unholy runes (when DnD is on cd).

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 03:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tidders View Post
    Bring back Wandering Plague for the AoE fix. - or something similar.

For single target, something that incorporates Death Coil and Scourge Strike to create a little more synergy i.e:

Wrath of the Plaguebringer: SS has X% chance to increase the damage (or even just crit damage) of your next DC by X%.
    This doesnt really add anything, since youre already spamming SS and DC all day long. Might aswell just buff those abilities by X%

I know that this is more about unholy....but I want santa to bring me some blood utility

10+ Year Old Account
    Bring back Wandering Plague

When your diseases damage an enemy, there is a chance equal to your melee critical strike chance that the wil cause X% additional damage to the target and all enemies within 8 yards. Ignores any target under the effect of a spell that is cancelled by taking damage.
    - Better AOE Damage

Festering Strike and Scourge Strike adds another Disease to the target (Infest), Does a small amount of nature damage every 3 and increases the damage your diseases do by 30%.
    - Stronger Dots and Strikes

Gary becomes a 3 min CD
    - Runic power is reserved for timmy and Death coils

Increase Death coil damage by 10%, bring back the dot caused by Death coil (10% more damage done over 10 secs) or have the dot increase the Diseases haste (more ticks)

Increase minions/pets Hp, Haste and armor by another 12%

No Rune Cost for Dark Transformation and off the GCD or Make it automatic when he hits 5 stacks.

when transformed timmy's CD are reset and :
    All of timmys damages becomes shadow damage
    or
    All of timmys damages Causes another Disease DOT on the target, increasing damage from strikes.

Mastery changed to :
    Increases all Shadow damage done by 20% and Increases the damage done by your pets and minions by 10%. Each point of Mastery increases pet damage by an additional 2%

Death and decay replaced with
    Defile
    Corrupts the ground targeted by the Death Knight, causing Shadow damage every sec to targets that remain in the area. Any enemies damaged within this area will cause the area to grow (Max of 75% larger) and increase to duration by 1 sec (max of 15 secs)
    30 sec CD
    Last edited by the0o; 2012-12-20 at 03:22 PM.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

[*]Death Knight:
    • Fix AoE, you're still left with spare Frost Runes which seems clunky. Festering Strike fixes this in single target.
    [/list]
    Last time I checked Blood Boil turns runes into Death Runes meaning once you've got 4 Death Runes through festering strikes you are ready to spam 4x Blood Boil.

So more on topic:
    - Slightly reduce cost for garg
    - Give 1 stack for summoning garg
    - Make timmy spawn faster
    - Improve mastery

Quote Originally Posted by Reniat View Post
    I know that this is more about unholy....but I want santa to bring me some blood utility
    Just my thought - we're currently zomgamazing for single target fights (as in we can pretty much keep ourselves alive) with little raid damage..... but fail on pretty much everything else since we bring zero raid utility (amz that only works on like 1-2 fights and comes at the cost of personal survivability doesn't count).
    Last edited by Nillo; 2012-12-20 at 03:18 PM.

Deleted
    I would like to see in general our mechanics change how they behave.Why we are the only class having always to pay something to gain something else when other classes get it for free.For example why Summon Garg has 3 min cd and cost 60 rp?Does Avatar costs 60 rage and has 3 min cd?Even if that was the case that ability still would benefit you using it against garg which sometimes doesnt,like on aoe which would be better to transform Timmy 1st for the cleaves.

Thats our outdated mechanics and thats how they kept going even on our talent design as well.Choosing between a cc ability,effective snares(which were design for frost spec not UH) and mobility is gain one/lose the other while for other classes its pretty straight gain mobility or ccs or snares or extra dmg cds or whatever.Why we have to lose to gain smthing?Thats what they did back in WoTLK when we had so many stuff and other classes didnt so to have that extra abilities we had to pay a price for it and look now what all the other classes have and what we have lost over the years and we still have to pay a price for the few things we get....

I could give many more examples but i believe i proved my point they need to change their class design and make us on parse with the other classes.A whole new expansion and they still didnt achiev more than some band aid fixes for our class while we had obvious issues against other classes,how can you not feel outdated going into MoP?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see ebon plaguebringer nerfed, dark transformation/ghouls buffed and sudden doom increase damage and healing for that specific death coil(much like hot streak increases pyro damage). For PvP specificly I'd like Gnaw to be easier to use.

WOOH WOh wohh!! Slow down forums slow down!

Lets just quote the tweet again shall we?
    Question from @elive2012: Is there any plans to buff Unholy Death Knights? It's really sad how underpowered this specc is right now.
    Answer from @Ghostcrawler: We don't really think they're far behind, but we are looking at some of the quality of life issues.
    Let me just bold and underline this: we are looking at some of the quality of life issues.
    This means they'll likely fix annoying things like orphan frost runes or lower the ramp up, things that are quality of life issues

I don't think this is a cause to suddenly proclaim: giant buffs are coming and we'll be overpowered and we'll get Wandering Plague and Defile and Ghostcrawler is promising a giant undead pony with wings for every deathknight.