Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

In need of some computer help (Power supply)

Hey guys, I'm going to get a new computer very soon. I've customized it a LITTLE bit from what it is originally. My question is about the power supply. It comes with a Raidmax RX-600AF 600W. I'm not that good of a computer guy so I would like to ask if I give my computer TOO much power? Let's say if I buy a 750W. Another question is if Raidmax is good. I've read that a bad PSU can fry the computer, so is it worth it to spend ~$25 more to get a Seasonic SS-750HT 80+ Silver 750W? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
    Hey guys, I'm going to get a new computer very soon. I've customized it a LITTLE bit from what it is originally. My question is about the power supply. It comes with a Raidmax RX-600AF 600W. I'm not that good of a computer guy so I would like to ask if I give my computer TOO much power? Let's say if I buy a 750W. Another question is if Raidmax is good. I've read that a bad PSU can fry the computer, so is it worth it to spend ~$25 more to get a Seasonic SS-750HT 80+ Silver 750W? Thanks in advance for any answers.
    Can't help you until you post your new computer's set-up, e.g. processor & GPU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    Can't help you until you post your new computer's set-up, e.g. processor & GPU.
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H Motherboard
    Kingston 16GB HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM DualChannel
    250GB Sata3 SSD (Samsung 840)
    nVidia GeForce GTX660 2GB
    Intel® Core™ i7-3770K 4x3.50GHz

I only wanted to know if it's possible to damage your computer with a too strong power supply and if Raidmax was good.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. A psu just tones down the power coming out of the wall. I've never used a raidmax but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and I've heard good things from friends about seasonic.... So no having to big of a psu won't hurt you.

No such thing as TOO much power. It will only make it less efficient and an unnecessary electricity bill.
    Playing since 2007.

Historically Raidmax has been garbage when it comes the power supplies. The unit that you're looking at is an Andyson F series(hence the 600AF), and being bronze, I'm guessing it's the newer revamped version, but I still wouldn't touch it.

Deleted
    Cheers for the replies guys. I'm not sure it's allowed to be discussed here but here I go.

When I bought my laptop it came with a pre-installed Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I'm about to format it because it's getting a little slow + I'd like to remove the split harddisk. Would I be able to torrent Windows 7 Home Premium, slap it on a USB, install it on my computer and use the serial key I got with the computer? (The serial number is written under the battery bay)

Deleted
    As long as you have the key you should be fine, you can get the ISO directly from Microsoft.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can never have too much power!!!
    Founder of Kentuckynerd.com come visit for podcasts and more!

Deleted
    OK thanks a lot for the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    As long as you have the key you should be fine, you can get the ISO directly from Microsoft.
    FYI Microsoft doesn't provide digital downloads, unless you shop a completely new serial-key. To the OP; p2p DL shouldn't be discussed here, since it's illegal due to Microsoft's standards.

Deleted
    Windows 7 SP1 ISO links

This should be fine?

(mod can edit if not)

Windows 7 SP1 ISO links

This should be fine?

(mod can edit if not)
    Very interesting! at www.sevenforums.com I was told it's illegal

** EDIT **

Seems like there was a later post and the ISOs weren't out when I asked about this in fall / 2011.
    Last edited by Gouca; 2012-12-21 at 06:05 AM.

Deleted
    I knew there was a reason I had this guy on ignore.

It is not illegal to locate installation media to clean reinstall a copy of Windows 7 you already own. We simply cannot link to them to minmize piracy.
    (He is talking about their specific policy)

Either way like I said a mod can edit it if they see an issue.

Hey there Gooby.

Regarding your PSU; i've never heard of Raidmax - and Power supplies are a part you want to be particularly careful with. Seasonic are fairly safe; they're one of the OEMs for Corsair power supplies, which have a very good reputation. So for an extra 25, Seasonic would be a better bet imho.

With the rest of your build, just curious - why not get an i5 3570k instead of the i7 3770k, and use the cost saving to get a GTX660ti instead of the 660; this would give you more noticeable benefits when gaming, instead of getting the 3770k. The 3570k is (almost undisputedly) the king of gaming pc cpu's for the current generation.

Regarding your OS questions - just as long as you have the ISO backed up to usb and you have your serial key, you should be fine mate.

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 04:21 PM ----------

Sorry for double post,

Something I forgot to mention Gooby, the motherboard you specified seems to support Crossfire (AMD Multi gpu) but not SLI (Nvidia multi gpu; you've specified an Nvidia card) - you may not be fussed about this at all (you might not want to add a second/third cart) but thought I'd just point that out.

I knew there was a reason I had this guy on ignore.

(He is talking about their specific policy)

Either way like I said a mod can edit it if they see an issue.
    Now that was a point worth of mentioning, have you never been wrong? You put people on ignore if they do not know everything, always?

Deleted
    Thought this thread had died :O

Sorry about the torrent thing, I didn't know it wasn't allowed here.

With the rest of your build, just curious - why not get an i5 3570k instead of the i7 3770k, and use the cost saving to get a GTX660ti instead of the 660; this would give you more noticeable benefits when gaming, instead of getting the 3770k. The 3570k is (almost undisputedly) the king of gaming pc cpu's for the current generation.
    I'll be doing a bit of video editing with After Effects and Premier aswell as Photoshop and Illustrator. I heard the hyper-threading is benefitial for those things.

As for the GPU part, I'm probably going to wait another month to save up some more so it's not rushed + I can get those extra parts I want. Might go for a GTX 670 (?) if it's worth it.

Something I forgot to mention Gooby, the motherboard you specified seems to support Crossfire (AMD Multi gpu) but not SLI (Nvidia multi gpu; you've specified an Nvidia card) - you may not be fussed about this at all (you might not want to add a second/third cart) but thought I'd just point that out.
    I didn't know that, however it wont matter. I'm not going to run SLI.

Ah, kk then
    Sounds good; it seems that at stock speeds the 670 does offer an edge over the 660ti, however i've read / heard that the 660ti overclocks quite well and can get you almost* 670-like performance. But if you're more comfortable not overclocking your cards, and don't mind the extra cost hike of the 670, sounds kay.

For my money I would get a 750W-850W power supply made by Corsair or Seasonic. And it would be a 100% modular power supply like the Seasonic X-850 or X-750 those are 80 plus gold rated. Or a Corsair AX750 or AX850 also 80 plus gold rated. Both Corsair and Seasonic recently released 80 plus platinum rated power supplies which are even better than the gold rated ones, but they are even more expensive.
    If you are looking for a good vendor I would try NCIX, a computer outfit in Canada. (NCIX now does international orders). I have ordered from them and have had good luck with them and their prices are really good on things, especially when you catch them on sale and that seems to happen alot.
    Yeah the Windows 7 thing is legit as long as you have a Key. You may want to search Youtube for a video on how to get that part done. Also load windows onto a 4GB usb thumb drive it will load way faster than a DVD, again instructions are found on Youtube.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 2012-12-24 at 04:19 AM.

Deleted
    @Bob, Why would you get a 850 watt PSU? Are you planing on running triple GPU's?