Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    once you start into the cost of a waterblock, fittings, radiator, pump, res, proper fans, etc, you are better off buying a new 7970

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    Is there a fan that's blocked by the bed? There's not much else to tell unless it's an open pic of the pc in regards to air flow.

Also what were you temps before it was 60-100c? If you remember. Like I said before, the card just might be going bad.
    its not blocked there is a gap between the bed and the pc, not much of a space tho( maybe about the width of a hand ) . i never had a GPU temp reader in my computer untill recently. so i dont know what the temp was ill strip out my pc tomorrow and take a hover to the gpu see if that will pick out any dust thats inside. but if i need to get another graphics card then i think ill go with the nvidia this time lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wipeout View Post
    its not blocked there is a gap between the bed and the pc, not much of a space tho( maybe about the width of a hand ) . i never had a GPU temp reader in my computer untill recently. so i dont know what the temp was ill strip out my pc tomorrow and take a hover to the gpu see if that will pick out any dust thats inside. but if i need to get another graphics card then i think ill go with the nvidia this time lol
    dont use a vacuum cleaner, you need compressed air, vacuum cleaners generate ridiculous levels of static electricity, enough to kill a pc

Just open the case and place $20 fan a few feet away pointing at it. It does not look cool. But that will cool your pc 100x better then the crap you can buy made for pc cooling. Opening the case alone will help a lot.
    gw2 is a great game

what most seem to be ignoring is your PSU and the reason i say this is because i had a problem not unlike your own.

it would play wow no problem but the temps would be rather hot but if tied to play cod for instance it would just shut down i got the card tested and all was fine and i was told it could be a psu problem so i borrowed brothers and it worked just fine.

i had a old 600 watt and i put in a 750watt and all was ok.....this is a option for you to try out

GPU
    32c idle
    67c full load
    Last edited by ukxenon; 2012-12-20 at 10:18 PM.

Just open the case and place $20 fan a few feet away pointing at it. It does not look cool. But that will cool your pc 100x better then the crap you can buy made for pc cooling. Opening the case alone will help a lot.
    Bullshit. When there's something wrong with the cooler on his GPU, a fan won't help.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    hmm so incase i need a new card which 1 to get ...
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 ( cost £363 )
    General
    Device Type Graphics card
    Bus Type PCI Express 3.0 x16
    Graphics Engine NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    Core Clock 1006 MHz
    CUDA Cores 1536
    Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
    Max Resolution Details DVI: 2560 x 1600 / DisplayPort: 2560 x 1600 / HDMI: 2560 x 1600 / VGA: 2048 x 1536
    Interfaces HDMI ¦ DVI-I (dual link) ¦ DisplayPort ¦ DVI-D (dual link)
    API Supported DirectX 11, OpenCL, DirectCompute 5.0, OpenGL 4.2
    Features Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision Ready, Nvidia CUDA technology, Nvidia PureVideo HD technology, Nvidia PhysX-Ready, Nvidia Surround technology, Nvidia SLI ready, TXAA, GPU Boost technology, Adaptive V-Sync, FXAA, SMX technology

Memory
    Size 2 GB
    Technology GDDR5 SDRAM
    Effective Clock Speed 6.008 GHz
    Bus Width 256-bit
    Bandwidth 192.26 GBps

System Requirements
    OS Required Microsoft Windows Vista (32/64 bits), Microsoft Windows 7 (32/64 bits), Microsoft Windows XP (32/64 bits)
    Required Power Supply 550 W
    Peripheral / Interface Devices Two 6-pin power connectors

Miscellaneous

Cables Included 1 x DVI-VGA adapter
    Depth 25.4 cm
    Height 11.1 cm
    Weight 1.36 kg

or
    Radeon HD 7970 ( cost £316 )
    Chipset - Radeon HD 7970
    Digital max resolution - 2560 x 1600
    Analog max resolution - 2048 x 1536
    Process Technology - 28 nm
    PCB Form - ATX
    Core Clock - 1000 MHz
    Memory Clock - 5500 MHz
    Memory Size - 3072 MB
    Memory Bus - 384 bit
    Card Bus - PCI-E 3.0
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    DirectX -11
    OpenGL - 4.1
    Multi-view - 4
    I/O - HDMI * 1 DVI-I * 1 Mini DisplayPort *2
    Card size - H=38 mm, L=285 mm, W=126 mm
    Power requirement - 550 W

Sincerely: Do not jump to GPU upgrade. It'll be a waste of money, because with your issues I'm inclined to believe the issue is an outside factor, ie not the graphics in and of itself. There's a high chance replacing the graphics card won't solve anything.

So before you consider graphics cards, take time to think about what might be causing your issues, and how to fix it. Me, I would take off the sidepanel and see if the temperatures drop noticeably.

Deleted
    If Vsync is not enabled in wow that would account for a fair bit of heat....

Added: If that's not the problem have you thought about putting some fresh TIM on the gpu?
    Last edited by mmoc8d9a66b0a0; 2012-12-20 at 11:13 PM.

Yeah that's what I meant, it just seems smothered there. GPU temp reader, do you mean like speedfan/realtemp? Hopefully you can find out the issue and it doesn't involve having to buy another card.

Those 2 cards you picked out are kind of overkill for a game like WoW, unless you're playing something actually graphic intensive.

My friend just bought this a couple months ago and says it's great so far, he also switched from an amd card when it crapped out after a couple years. I personally like nvidia and have always had a good experience with their stuff and have a gtx 550 ti after replacing my other one that I was using for 5-6 years(was still working).

In any case, this is the one he bought.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130827

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    My friend just bought this a couple months ago and says it's great so far, he also switched from an amd card when it crapped out after a couple years. I personally like nvidia and have always had a good experience with their stuff and have a gtx 550 ti after replacing my other one that I was using for 5-6 years(was still working).

In any case, this is the one he bought.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130827
    This advice is bad, and you should feel bad.

Firstly, there's nothing wrong with AMD. You're now really perpetuating a very arbitrary idea.
    Secondly, the 550 ti and 650 are both poor purchases for gamers. It's the entry-level of entrylevel. It would also in no way help the OP of this thread.

You could always do something like get an Antec Kuhler 620 and something like this for cheap gpu watercooling.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i tried taking off the side panel, and it didnt improve anything. already had vsync enabled in wow. tomorrow ill go by some compressed air and give my computer a clean properly and if it still doesnt improve then i dunno what ill do , ( smash up my pc and buy a new 1 :P), i was only considering buying a new graphics card as a last resort the amd card i have was my 1st amd card i usually stick with Nvidia but i wanted a change, and its been really good since i got it i have a funny feeling there is some dust built up inside the fan that i cant see so ill try give it a clean and see how it goes.

the card i suggested are abit over kill but if theyre going to last awhile then i dont see the problem :P, im not using anything to its full potentional in my pc, except my gpu which has 98% activity when playing wow
    Last edited by Wipeout; 2012-12-21 at 12:40 AM.

It could be an issue with the PSU for sure. But before that id check what voltages are running through the card and also what the fan speed is set to. Other than that have you messed about in the Bios and changed any the voltage settings for the PCI slots?

Id also swap the PCI slot it is in just incase its failled on the motherboard
    Does Warlock Stuffz

i tried taking off the side panel, and it didnt improve anything.
    Sounds like a very local issue if lowering ambient temperature in the case didn't help. Could even just be a faulty temperature sensor. You should've seen some difference, imo.

If you plan to change the video card, make sure you get one with a good cooler with heat pipes and 2 fans. Never EVER buy a card like IRunSoFarAway linked. Look for a video card made by ASUS, Gigabytes or MSI (I could be missing some brands) otherwise you might end up with an average cooler which isn't enough anymore imho. Also what's the ambient temps in your computer? what about CPU temp? To see all those temps (along with GPU temp), download Hardware Monitor or Open Hardware Monitor. Finally, wait until the next generation card release, it should be it about 3 months.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    This advice is bad, and you should feel bad.

Firstly, there's nothing wrong with AMD. You're now really perpetuating a very arbitrary idea.
    Secondly, the 550 ti and 650 are both poor purchases for gamers. It's the entry-level of entrylevel. It would also in no way help the OP of this thread.
    Where did I say there was anything wrong wth AMD? Read the thread, he said he was switching from an AMD card to a Nvidia one and I was simply saying that my friend also had the same experience when his card started breaking down. Everyone has their own brands that they stick with, some people don't like one company and say all their products blow without even trying them, which is what you're insinuating for some strange reason.

I wasn't suggesting he buy anything, I was just linking the one my friend bought and saying which one I had, if you actually read anything, then you would see that no advice was given in that post. You seem to be confusing things here, and I understand why. Have fun being king of cyber tough guys and being all around awful at comprehension, interpretation and the basic understanding of words. 5,978.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    so after i cleanred it to the best i could without any compressed air or a hover my GPU now sits at 30-46C on idle, but still jumping upto 85C + on wow
    here is a pic of inside my pc

& heres a SS of my current GPU reading

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have front fans behind the lower HDD bay? If you have remove the lower HDD bay, that could help abit with the air flow.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is your fan not scaling up? At those temperatures, I'd expect it to be pinned at 100%, cooling it significantly.