Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What will happen once the war generation has all died?

I've just been thinking about this recently as my grandad is ill at 91 and is a lancaster bomber veteran, what do you think will happen when they all finally rest in peace do you think the world leaders will come together and give some sort of vigil and thank them for their services and duty to the world?
    You may remember me from such threads as!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...18#post8213418

No, can't see that happening.

No, but I guess we'll see a more critic view of the war generation overall as time goes.

Lot of ugly stuff happened on the "good" side, which has been known but not exactly shown.

My prayers are with your grandfather, and thank him for his service.

that being said, nothing will be done, neither this govt nor the citizens of this generation have the respect they should for
    our veterans and heroes.

Best wishes to your grandfather, you may wanna consider his views on real life events are more accurate than yours. People now live in bubbles thanks to people like your grandpa, they have no sense of the danger in the real world.

World peace is a great idea, but what about those who wont negotiate their views (religious terrorists)?

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Best wishes to your grandfather, you may wanna consider his views on real life events are more accurate than yours. People now live in bubbles thanks to people like your grandpa, they have no sense of the danger in the real world.

World peace is a great idea, but what about those who wont negotiate their views (religious terrorists)?
    Those vets which you honor so dearly justified their evil deeds in the name of patriotism and protecting their way of life, neither of which are even remotely understood by the current generation of carebear morality police who believe all human life is equal regardless of the sins committed by them, harm done to others or the heroism they have shown.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Those vets which you honor so dearly justified their evil deeds in the name of patriotism and protecting their way of life, neither of which are even remotely understood by the current generation of carebear morality police who believe all human life is equal regardless of the sins committed by them, harm done to others or the heroism they have shown.
    Harsch, but yes - don't expect the majority to stand up for the values shown in previous wars. Or the current ones. People in the west are very lax about their life now and think the world is and should/could be a fairy tale

There might be something to commemorate them, but I doubt it'll be an event on any kind of grand scale. I also think Bazookaberit is correct, in the future we'll be significantly more critical of the actions of all nations and people in that time period.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Wælcyrie View Post
    give some sort of vigil and thank them for their services and duty to the world?

We already do that every year, except for the nations coming together part. And it's duty to their country, not the world.

(Veterans day in the US. I guess you have something similar in Britan?)
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-12-21 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    We already do that every year, except for the nations coming together part. And it's duty to their country, not the world.

(Veterans day in the US, I guess you have something similar in Britan?)
    This is quite true. But more to the point (from a U.S. perspective) which war generation would we be talking about:

World War II?
    Korea?
    Vietnam?
    Iraq I?
    Iraq II?
    Afghanistan?

It will be a while before that's an issue since there seems to be an endless appetite for war.

We should honor and respect all those who serve on the day given over to that purpose.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    This is quite true. But more to the point (from a U.S. perspective) which war generation would we be talking about:

World War II?
    Korea?
    Vietnam?
    Iraq I?
    Iraq II?
    Afghanistan?

It will be a while before that's an issue since there seems to be an endless appetite for war.

We should honor and respect all those who serve on the day given over to that purpose.
    I would like to say that I agree with you, but I just can't. I've been to Afghanistan and a few other places and I wish I could say I respect and honour al those who served at the same time and place as me but I can't.

A lot of those I served with are great people and did the best with what they had in front of them, but not all. To say "all" deserve respect is in my opinion very blind and misleading. Honour those who should be honoured.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazookaberit View Post
    I would like to say that I agree with you, but I just can't. I've been to Afghanistan and a few other places and I wish I could say I respect and honour al those who served at the same time and place as me but I can't.

A lot of those I served with are great people and did the best with what they had in front of them, but not all. To say "all" deserve respect is in my opinion very blind and misleading. Honour those who should be honoured.
    Fair point. No disagreement there. It would have been better to insert the word 'honorably' between 'serve' and 'on'.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    (Veterans day in the US. I guess you have something similar in Britan?)
    Yes. Commonwealth countries have Remembrance day on November 11th.

All British WW1 vets have died, they didn't do anything too special for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

Call me a cynic, but without them there, memories of the horrors of global war will go with them. All the more likely for history to repeat itself without those nagging voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Call me a cynic, but without them there, memories of the horrors of global war will go with them. All the more likely for history to repeat itself without those nagging voices.
    Sadly, I think you're likely to be right. Once the horrors of WWII have passed out of living memory, the chances that something similar will happen again will just go up.

No, it happens anyway. Historians and political scientists rarely if ever achieve any significant influence over events.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

There were global wars long before them and there'll be global wars long after they're gone. Even if what you say is true, we don't need them around as proof of how awful it is when we have countless documentaries and interviews on the subject featuring veterans.

At the setting of the Sun. We will remember them.

That simple. Correct when it was written, and correct when my great-great-great grand-kids are teaching their generation

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    We'll honor them for choosing to serve. Doesn't really matter if where they go(Yes it does but not in what I'm speaking of) it's they chose to serve.

It's kind of like what the Shado-Pan say

"We serve so others do not have to."
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now