10+ Year Old Account

Unable to connect to wireless

Hey, so I've been having some trouble with connecting my laptop to a wireless network.

When I first attempted to connect, it attempted to connect for a moment, and then came up with the message "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network ~~~~."

After looking online, I found that most people solved this problem by going into the advanced settings, going into the authentication page of the network properties, and deselecting "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network."

When I disabled it, it requested the network key upon attempting to connect, with the boxes filled in, and upon clicking it came up with a "limited or no connectivity," with no internet connection.

Upon attempting to reconnect and typing in the password again to be certain that it was correct, it came up wtih "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered ad 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."

I believe I figured out from that that the network connection was required to be set to WPA-PSK, and so I changed it from Open/WEP to WPA-PSK with encryption AES, and then entered the network key. I then went to authentication but the authentication key was already greyed out and so I left it alone.

I clicked on connect...... and it went right back to the unable to find a certificate page, with the settings returned to Open/WEP.

Anyone recognize this problem at all? I've attempted to figure out the problem via google but none of the posters there had problems after disabling the "entable IEEE etc" part, and I haven't been able to find any sort of solution that matches the computer flipping back to Open/WEB with the authentication thing enabled. I am not really tech savvy at all, and have never had such networking problems with any of my laptops at other connections. Also, I do not have access to the router currently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Hey, so I've been having some trouble with connecting my laptop to a wireless network.

When I first attempted to connect, it attempted to connect for a moment, and then came up with the message "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network ~~~~."

After looking online, I found that most people solved this problem by going into the advanced settings, going into the authentication page of the network properties, and deselecting "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network."

When I disabled it, it requested the network key upon attempting to connect, with the boxes filled in, and upon clicking it came up with a "limited or no connectivity," with no internet connection.

Upon attempting to reconnect and typing in the password again to be certain that it was correct, it came up wtih "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered ad 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."

I believe I figured out from that that the network connection was required to be set to WPA-PSK, and so I changed it from Open/WEP to WPA-PSK with encryption AES, and then entered the network key. I then went to authentication but the authentication key was already greyed out and so I left it alone.

I clicked on connect...... and it went right back to the unable to find a certificate page, with the settings returned to Open/WEP.

Anyone recognize this problem at all? I've attempted to figure out the problem via google but none of the posters there had problems after disabling the "entable IEEE etc" part, and I haven't been able to find any sort of solution that matches the computer flipping back to Open/WEB with the authentication thing enabled. I am not really tech savvy at all, and have never had such networking problems with any of my laptops at other connections. Also, I do not have access to the router currently.
    Is this a School network, dorm room, or what?

If it is a school network you might want to talk to the network admin to see if the password has been changed recently or even if your access was revoked for some reason. Even if neither of those happened he might be able to take a look at your computer in general and see if there is a problem with the radio receiver in your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Is this a School network, dorm room, or what?

If it is a school network you might want to talk to the network admin to see if the password has been changed recently or even if your access was revoked for some reason. Even if neither of those happened he might be able to take a look at your computer in general and see if there is a problem with the radio receiver in your computer.
    ^This. If you're on a school network you probably need to be added to a list of users on the router, the best thing you can do is talk to the network admin or someone that can give you access to the interwebs. I would think that the person the runs it can set it up for you if you asked.