Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I understand and agree with the OP.

I "quit" GW2 about a month ago. Since I come from DAoC and a lot of employees at A-Net are from Mythic I really expected a little more out of WvW which was the main reason I bought GW2.

Maps way to small, destroying keep walls and doors from the tower next to it by just putting up a trebuchet? uhm no thanks, to easy to claim keeps, towers, supply camps, to hard to defend them.

Hoping for a "new frontiers" hehe but I doubt it will ever happen. And I have to admit, I didn't think it would bother me in the long run but it did, I missed the trinity (a lot).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silza View Post
    I understand and agree with the OP.

I "quit" GW2 about a month ago. Since I come from DAoC and a lot of employees at A-Net are from Mythic I really expected a little more out of WvW which was the main reason I bought GW2.

Maps way to small, destroying keep walls and doors from the tower next to it by just putting up a trebuchet? uhm no thanks, to easy to claim keeps, towers, supply camps, to hard to defend them.

Hoping for a "new frontiers" hehe but I doubt it will ever happen. And I have to admit, I didn't think it would bother me in the long run but it did, I missed the trinity (a lot).
    Well you can actually reinforce walls and doors making them take significantly less damage and boosting their health significantly, but this requires a guild, supply, and defending it while those are going on (once you get them it becomes easier to defend).

That being said, i'd suggest you just watch the GW2 site closelyish because they're supposed to be adding a PvP patch (focusing on WvW and sPvP) in january or february! You could always come back, check it out, if you hate it, oh well leave, if you love it great! you can keep playing =D!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Whoa, whoa. No. No at all. Dubious and uninformed statement is dubious and uninformed.

It should not matter to us what the technicality is, firstly. That is Anet's issue to sort out. Not ours. And they haven't sorted it out.

Guesting was a feature touted by Anet. They have yet to deliver on the feature. Players of GW2 do not have more options than any other MMO can deliver w/r/t server placement.
    I'm not sure why you want guesting so bad... it seems to me people just want it because it was mentioned in GW2 advertisement. Think of it: one of Anets goals is to make a server-community. People should feel at home on their chosen server and build a strong community. All design decisions are directed this way. Sharing loot, nodes, not having to create a party to share buffs,... Now what if Anet looked at the nearly finished "guesting"-feature and realized, that this isn't helping their design decision. People would not feel at home on one server. They jump to this server, to that,... and in the end feel lost. Now we have one functionality of the guesting system working: free server transfer once a week. You can choose a server where your friends are and join them. It's your home now.

What I get from the current situation: Anet realized a few problems with the guesting system (be it technical or the kind I described) and they try to find a good solution for everyone. Why... WHY can't we just be patient and leave them do their job? Because whiners gonna whine... Sure, Anet is evil and they don't want us to play with our friends... wait...
    *stupid*

And explanation doesn't absolve the backpedaling. In fact, that is backpedaling by cognitive and dictative definition.
    wtf? They work on a system, find a better solution (and character-bound is a better solution in a system where dyes drop and can be bought in the trading post, because of the facts I described earlier - no one cares about dyes in 4 months if they are accountbound, so why make them drops in the first place?) and change it with the intention of being good for the game, and you talk about backpedaling? Rly?

and don't come up with "they just want our money", because this is just BS. If so, they could have made dyes non-drops and shop-only in the first place. It's cosmetic after all.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 03:53 AM ----------

btw I just found out that we already got an answer about when guesting will be enabled:

. How will the guesting system work? will we need friends on the other server?

The reply was as per the blog, except a new peice of information

The guesting system will be delayed until the servers have settled down. The guesting system will then be enabled and server transfers will need to be paid for. Until the guesting system is activated server transfers will be free.
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/7...m-18th-august/

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I'm not sure why you want guesting so bad... it seems to me people just want it because it was mentioned in GW2 advertisement.
    I personally don't care about guesting. Merely pointing out Guesting was a promoted feature not delivered upon yet.

The feature means nothing to me. However, many rolled on servers which became full shortly after launch. Or rolled on servers to play with another set of friends. Both of which predicated on the eventual flexibility of guesting.

Server transfers are currently destructive in GW2. Whereas other MMOs offer free transfers, for guilds & individuals, which are non destructive. Note.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    tl;dr: "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!"
    lol omg that is exactly what i thought when i read it xD
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I personally don't care about guesting. Merely pointing out Guesting was a promoted feature not delivered upon yet.

The feature means nothing to me. However, many rolled on servers which became full shortly after launch. Or rolled on servers to play with another set of friends. Both of which predicated on the eventual flexibility of guesting.

Server transfers are currently destructive in GW2. Whereas other MMOs offer free transfers, for guilds & individuals, which are non destructive. Note.
    server transfers are free once a week, how is this destructive?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silza View Post
    destroying keep walls and doors from the tower next to it by just putting up a trebuchet?
    You must be in a awful server regarding WvW.
    Countertrebuchet...or even two or three elementalists taking turns doing swirling wings and you're safe.
    Last edited by mmoc0ed12bb383; 2012-12-29 at 12:58 PM.

server transfers are free once a week, how is this destructive?
    You lose your guild point/items.

10+ Year Old Account

The points/items are not "lost", they remain with the guild which remains on the server it was created on.

This is a good thing as it discourages guilds from server hopping for WvW. Free server transfers benefit those looking for a guild or their friends.

ps: Guilds transfering servers was never promised, don't know why this (along with 99% of this thread) is being discussed as a "failed promise". The only promise that has not been fulfilled yet is the Guesting feature.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2012-12-29 at 05:27 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    The points/items are not "lost", they remain with the guild which remains on the server it was created on.

This is a good thing as it discourages guilds from server hopping for WvW. Free server transfers benefit those looking for a guild or their friends.
    This is actually falls, there are guilds that simply upgrade to the max on one server, hop over to another max upgrades there (upgrades only not "consumables") hop over.... and so on so in the end they can simply pick a server that dominates and stick with it.
    Imo it should be even more destructive and you should lose all upgrades if you server transfer due to this reason. Since the "hard" part about upgrading guilds isn't getting influence it's Time and once your guild is fully upgraded you'll simply stack up on influence like mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I don't see how unlocking dyes contributes to "character progression". They've made it foolishness to use Unidentified Dyes anyway. They sell on the TP for 10-15 silver and your odds of actually getting a dye that you couldn't have just bought for less than 50 copper are extremely low.

Things were arguably fine before they nerfed the drop rates on dyes, you could get Abyss for 5g and Celestial for 2.5g. Unidentified Dyes only sold for around 2s each so people like myself were more willing to take a gamble on popping one to see what happened. IMO, it's a lot less fun now.

Maybe if they significantly increased the odds of getting rare dyes I wouldn't see a problem with the way it is now, but when your only true white is 10g and your only true black is 20g with no reliable* way to obtain either I'd say there's a problem.

* By "reliable" I mean if they'd at least made the cooking recipe for the rare Unidentified Grey Dye (or any of the rare crafted dyes) always have a chance to produce a random rare then I would consider that acceptable. The fact that you spend 1.5-2g in mats to create a rare recipe that has no guarantee of a rare product and can, instead, drop lesser quality items is BS. This is just another aspect of dyes that they've made not-fun, IMO.

Edit: As far as I know, even the dye packs in the Gem Store do not guarantee you a rare dye of any kind. (I had considered that an option for the rarer dyes until I discovered that.)
    This isn't true either, I made a lot of money by buying huge amounts of unidentified dyes (thousands) and my return was something around 70% but I used every dye I didn't have (5toons of mine have midnight fire/ice/black) the "issue" is that you need starting capital for this.
    I thought the rise of (unid) dyes destroyed this system a little while ago (I think I even responded to you with this method) but most dye prices went up by 300% (the ones that matter) so buying unids is still viable and a relative cheap way of getting dyes, the downside is that you need a lot of time(at first) to distinguish what dyes to sell back.

I'm not sure about the dye system in general. I was pretty happy with how it worked in GW1, mixing 4dyes for a special hue was fun and you could (in theory) get 6.5k different dyes this way (I think, my math seems to fail often lately).
    But tbh 20g for the most expensive dye isn't that much since it'll be with you for ever. So if I still play this game 6years from now I'm pretty sure I'll have spent 100g on dye per toon without caring much since I know I spent a lot more on dyes in gw1.

there are no personal guild points, are there? You gain influence for your guild and if you join another server, you can still stay in your guild. I'm on a European Server and I'm in a US-guild too. Once I join them on their server, I can gain influence for them too. These points wont be lost if I return to my EU-server the week after.

...and the items... I actually don't know if you lose the items or you get just the other guilds logo on the item. It's one piece of equipment for me, so I really don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    there are no personal guild points, are there? You gain influence for your guild and if you join another server, you can still stay in your guild. I'm on a European Server and I'm in a US-guild too. Once I join them on their server, I can gain influence for them too. These points wont be lost if I return to my EU-server the week after.

...and the items... I actually don't know if you lose the items or you get just the other guilds logo on the item. It's one piece of equipment for me, so I really don't care.
    You actually gain influence for them on -your- server, but once you're on the same server you get the bonuses they have already bought. As for the guild weapons, backpacks, and armor that does NOT vanish magically when you swap servers or even guilds, you just wont have any guild emblem on them until that guild purchases the required guild perk.

They do guilds discretely per server. When you move you lose the benefit of the guild(s) you were in from that server. And the points.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    This isn't true either, I made a lot of money by buying huge amounts of unidentified dyes (thousands) and my return was something around 70% but I used every dye I didn't have (5toons of mine have midnight fire/ice/black) the "issue" is that you need starting capital for this.
    I thought the rise of (unid) dyes destroyed this system a little while ago (I think I even responded to you with this method) but most dye prices went up by 300% (the ones that matter) so buying unids is still viable and a relative cheap way of getting dyes, the downside is that you need a lot of time(at first) to distinguish what dyes to sell back.
    How much of that is 'luck' with RNG though? I don't know how many dyes I used prior to the prices skyrocketing, probably not "thousands" but probably in the hundreds at least. I think the only 'good' rares I got were one Celestial and one Midnight Blue/Ice. Likewise, I know someone who opened 250 UDs in hopes of an Abyss and never got one. I don't know if what he did get made up for it or not, but needless to say I still don't view opening countless UDs as a economically good way to obtain an Abyss dye, which I'd still only be able to use on one character. Especially not when my own personal experience with opening them is probably closer to 80% of getting a fine quality, 15% of getting an uncommon, and maybe 5% of getting a rare.

I'm not sure about the dye system in general. I was pretty happy with how it worked in GW1, mixing 4dyes for a special hue was fun and you could (in theory) get 6.5k different dyes this way (I think, my math seems to fail often lately).
    But tbh 20g for the most expensive dye isn't that much since it'll be with you for ever. So if I still play this game 6years from now I'm pretty sure I'll have spent 100g on dye per toon without caring much since I know I spent a lot more on dyes in gw1.
    Well, considering my total net worth is just above 100g after about 4 months of playing 20g seems like a lot, especially for a basic color that I'd like all my characters to have. I can't even think about playing GW2 six years from now. :P

Deleted
    Not as much failed promises for me but things that didn't work out as i was expecting them to, so bear in mind that this is extremely subjective, so here it goes.
    Giving it another whirl atm, as elementalist. My first try as an norn engineer was a major disappointment a couple of months ago.

For me the "failed promises" are:
    -No grind.
    -"no quests", the events are so formulaic and repetitive it becomes tedious even if you don't grind the same ones over and over.
    -scaling; if you are not on a very populated server or play at later hours there is little chance you'll be able to do some of the more challenging events, so scaling to some extent for me, although i understand the benefits.
    Last edited by mmoc94e579c637; 2012-12-29 at 10:22 PM.

That's the problem, both you and your friend didn't buy enough dyes in comparison to howmany are out there (430 or so I believe), So if you go by an evenly distributed chance for all dyes (which isn't true) you would have a 1/430chance to get an abyss dye, which he didn't even get close to.

With net worth do you mean howmuch you have in cash now, or howmuch you've spent on your toons+the money/mats you have?

With net worth do you mean howmuch you have in cash now, or howmuch you've spent on your toons+the money/mats you have?
    Actual cash money, or gold. I've spent very little on my characters. I've never bought a dye over 1s, I typically don't buy gear for more than 1c above vendor in the TP, etc. I've just gotten to where I can start selling crafting mats after having leveled it (arguably a huge loss of income there, leveling crafting that is).

I tried doing the Cursed Shores gauntlet Fencers told me about, but the lag is unplayably bad there for me. I was lucky to get 2-3 lootable corpses per event so definitely not the gold farm I'd hoped.

I did some math on dyes:
    1 abyss dye will give you 174 unid dyes. Out of the 362 listed dyes on the tp 84 are worth more than the unid(this is with the 15% tp cut already deducted) of those 70 will double your money.

Those 84 on average give you 9times your money back, going from the mean you get 2* your money back from reselling w/e you don't like.

So going for the more expensive dyes your going to better off buying unids, if you're going for average dyes (or dyes that cost around 60s or less) you're better off buying them.

^ Impressive math Next time I need a celestial dye on someone I'll start gambling

10+ Year Old Account
    I did some math on dyes:
    1 abyss dye will give you 174 unid dyes. Out of the 362 listed dyes on the tp 84 are worth more than the unid(this is with the 15% tp cut already deducted) of those 70 will double your money.

Those 84 on average give you 9times your money back, going from the mean you get 2* your money back from reselling w/e you don't like.

So going for the more expensive dyes your going to better off buying unids, if you're going for average dyes (or dyes that cost around 60s or less) you're better off buying them.

Correct me if I'm thinking about this wrong, but wouldn't that math work only if rare dyes dropped with the same frequency as common dyes?
    Valar morghulis