Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    location of the ominous horn sounds.

    Been trying for ages to find the item that causes this sound

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ezAebz36A

    Have heard it in dungeons a few and even in LFR, anyone have any idea where it's from.

    Also, unsure if this is the wrong place for such a question, looked around and didn't see any other appropriate thread (i am tired so sorry >.<)

    Some additional information

    1. It originates from a players position, if i move around them it swaps sides on my sound system.
    2. It's spamable, it's always on a constant loop, when it finishes it starts again.
    3. It stopped when they were dead.
    4. In the video it starts at 1 seconds and goes on for 9 seconds (till the end of the video)

    ... So people can stop claiming it sounds like the Death Knights horn of winter. Here is a link to what that sounds like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJsArSzn3o
    Last edited by alucardtnuoc; 2012-12-26 at 04:51 PM.

  2. #2
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kingston upon thames
    Posts
    15,650
    maybe horn of winter from DK?

    its also the same sound npcscan addon makes when it finds a rare.
    Too cool for a signature

  3. #3
    One very likely source is the Battle Horn.

  4. #4
    It's neither of those because it's on a constant loop almost as if it has no CD, after it finishes it plays over again.

    I did check to see if for some reason i had an error but reloading my UI and restarting wow, but it continued, it originated from a DK one of the times i have seen them, so maybe it is one of their abilities but i do not know of one that can spam repeatedly like that.

    It also didn't draw threat or pull extra mobs, it had no other effects i could see besides the sound.

  5. #5
    The only things I've ever heard to make that sound are NPCScan and the Battle Horn.

  6. #6
    Immortal Bombkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA - Boston, MA
    Posts
    6,995
    It's just Horn of Winter. It's a DK buff. It doesn't last very long so they cast it often. The sound confused me for half of Wotlk. They do a little horn blowing animation and have to cast it in combat for free RP, so in groups you'll hear it a lot.

    I'm damn sure it's not the various horn items. Those are quite rare and or easy to see the source of the caster.
    Last edited by Bombkirby; 2012-12-26 at 04:29 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    It's just Horn of Winter. It's a DK buff. It doesn't last very long so they cast it often. The sound confused me for half of Wotlk. They do a little horn blowing animation and have to cast it in combat for free RP, so in groups you'll hear it a lot.

    I'm damn sure it's not the various horn items. Those are quite rare and or easy to see the source of the caster.
    But like i said, it's a continuous loop of the vid i supplied. HoW has a 20-30 second CD or something, it would need to be 5 seconds to be what's in the video.

    Just logged to my DK and used HoW, sounds nothing like what's in the video.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Zucko View Post
    NPCScan, 100%
    But how would they get it to play from their player position in a dungeon is what im asking, If they stand still and i rotate around them, it goes around my sound system, of if i stand on one spot and spin.

  10. #10
    Immortal Bombkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA - Boston, MA
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    But like i said, it's a continuous loop of the vid i supplied. HoW has a 20-30 second CD or something, it would need to be 5 seconds to be what's in the video.

    Just logged to my DK and used HoW, sounds nothing like what's in the video.
    The video one ends in a couple seconds so it isn't a loop. It's HoW. Noooothing else is that common. You may be mistaken and full the rest of he horn sound in your head.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    The video one ends in a couple seconds so it isn't a loop. It's HoW. Noooothing else is that common. You may be mistaken and full the rest of he horn sound in your head.
    From 1 second in it starts, and goes for 9 seconds... HoW does not sound like that, please log into a DK, use HoW and listen, sounds NOTHING similar.

    Sorry that you're mistaken and can't distinguish betwen HoW and this video ( logged into a dk and they sound nothing similar)

    And just incase you're confused, that video is the only one i can find of the sound in question, if you put the video on reply so it loops, that's what you hear from these players that are doing it.

  12. #12
    Immortal Bombkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA - Boston, MA
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    From 1 second in it starts, and goes for 9 seconds... HoW does not sound like that, please log into a DK, use HoW and listen, sounds NOTHING similar.

    Sorry that you're mistaken and can't distinguish betwen HoW and this video ( logged into a dk and they sound nothing similar)
    Look you said you hear it all the time and the sound reveals no large animations. This is the only commonly found horn that makes a similar noise. Either you hear it less than you think, or you're just mistaken about what sound you're hearing. No need to get all touchy, I'm just using the clues that you gave us and giving a likely match. If you hear it less than you say you hear it, there's a couple of odd trinkets and archeology things that may be he purpatrator, but they're not common contrary to your clues and no ones gonna equip that stuff while grouped.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Look you said you hear it all the time and the sound reveals no large animations. This is the only commonly found horn that makes a similar noise. Either you hear it less than you think, or you're just mistaken about what sound you're hearing. No need to get all touchy, I'm just using the clues that you gave us and giving a likely match. If you hear it less than you say you hear it, there's a couple of odd trinkets and archeology things that may be he purpatrator, but they're not common contrary to your clues and no ones gonna equip that stuff while grouped.
    When i say i hear it all the time, it's when im in a dungeon with someone who has the said item or method to produce the sound.

    I've seen it in multiple dungeons and when this sound arises, it's from one player and it originates from them, moving around them changes the position of the sound relative to where i am standing to them. It's not Constant as in every dungeon/raid/LFR i do i hear it. Just every now and then, when it so arises that a player has it. It's on a continuous loop like they bound a /cast or /use or maybe even a /run macro to cause said sound to be spammed. Just trying to get the bottom of this and clearing it up that in a previous post i said it's NOT the HoW from a Dk and you still claimed it is.

    Gathering clues is good, but after dismissing me getting factual evidence to dismiss HoW (unless you can provide something a DK can get to alter the sound his horn makes).

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    The video one ends in a couple seconds so it isn't a loop. It's HoW. Noooothing else is that common. You may be mistaken and full the rest of he horn sound in your head.
    That sound is definitely not Horn of Winter.

  15. #15
    Immortal Bombkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA - Boston, MA
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    When i say i hear it all the time, it's when im in a dungeon with someone who has the said item or method to produce the sound.

    I've seen it in multiple dungeons and when this sound arises, it's from one player and it originates from them, moving around them changes the position of the sound relative to where i am standing to them. It's not Constant in every dungeon/raid/LFR i do. Just every now and then, when it so arises that a player has it. It's on a continuous loop like they bound a /cast or /use or maybe even a /run macro to cause said sound to be spammed. Just trying to get the bottom of this and clearing it up that in a previous post i said it's NOT the HoW from a Dk and you still claimed it is.

    Gathering clues is good, but after dismissing me getting factual evidence to dismiss HoW (unless you can provide something a DK can get to alter the sound his horn makes).
    I dismissed nothing. There's nothing wrong with asking if you are sure you're not making a mistake. Because half he time the answer is human error.

    I dont see why multiple people are macroing this mysterious thing. And we can rule out trinkets because you definitely inspect these people. Evidence keeps pointing to it being a spell liiiiike HoW(or an item in their bag, but none come to mind, unless this just tarted happening recently in MoP). That battle horn could have been a winner but the effect is unignorable and don't believe it's spammable. Worse case scenario it's a sound bug. My friend's Mac had issues about drawing the correct textures and sound files from the wow files years ago. It's a possibility, but an unlikely one.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 05:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    That sound is definitely not Horn of Winter.
    The beginning sounds extremely similar so I figured it could be human error. Please read the thread so I don't end up repeating myself over and over for nonreaders

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    I dismissed nothing. There's nothing wrong with asking if you are sure you're not making a mistake. Because half he time the answer is human error.

    I dont see why multiple people are macroing this mysterious thing. And we can rule out trinkets because you definitely inspect these people. Evidence keeps pointing to it being a spell liiiiike HoW(or an item in their bag, but none come to mind, unless this just tarted happening recently in MoP). That battle horn could have been a winner but the effect is unignorable and don't believe it's spammable. Worse case scenario it's a sound bug. My friend's Mac had issues about drawing the correct textures and sound files from the wow files years ago. It's a possibility, but an unlikely one.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 05:11 PM ----------



    The beginning sounds extremely similar so I figured it could be human error. Please read the thread so I don't end up repeating myself over and over for nonreaders
    I read the entire thread multiple times. You were trying to tell the guy it was HoW and he was imagining the rest. You are clearly wrong. You keep repeating yourself on your own accord.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    32,511
    As a player of DK's since they came out, I can assure you that is NOT the Horn of Winter.

    But I don't know what it could be.



  18. #18
    Well, the main reason i want to find it is so i can remove the particular sound file to stop it from playing.

    I know it's player originated because i asked them to stop it and they just "loled" and ran circles around me doing it (hence why i say moving around the player it swaps the location of sounds position). It's 100% player caused, it is not HoW.

  19. #19
    Immortal Bombkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA - Boston, MA
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    I read the entire thread multiple times. You were trying to tell the guy it was HoW and he was imagining the rest. You are clearly wrong. You keep repeating yourself on your own accord.
    It's a possibility! I have both YouTube videos of both sounds open in tabs ever since I posted here. There's a clear similarity. I cannot tell you guys how much mistakes like these happen.

    "Have you guys that rare skull axe? I wish I could have it but it was removed from wow."
    "It's an heirloom."
    "No it ISN'T!!!"
    "Yes it is!"
    *2 hours later*
    "Hmm oh yeah I guess there is a look a like heirloom! Sorry!"
    "And I'm sorry for thinking the version you spoke of never existed."
    *they go their separate ways all happy, the end.*

  20. #20
    Horn of winter lasts for 3-4 seconds, the horn sound im talking about is 9 seconds long.

    Please leave this thread if you're still going to chime in and say "you're making a mistake" as you're derailing this conversation into a bickering contest about how "similar" they are. When i am not looking for something that SOUNDS like it, i am looking for the exact replication of the sounds i have posted in the original post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •