Is lvl 85 best for twinking with inflated stats?

My hunter is lvl 85... wondering do I keep him 85 and buy MoP 415+ Ilvl gear?

I'm just interested in farming old raids... will I be more Op at lvl 90 with 450 ilvl things or sty 85 and buy 415+ gear?

Deleted
    Well, if you think about it Ilvl 415 at 85 was almost archievable at 85 itself. if you did heroic DS and stuff you could get around 410 I think.

450 on the other hand is not the heroic Ilvl at 90.
    So i think you would feel more OP doing 85 stuff with Ilvl 415 then doing 90 stuff with Ilvl 450. Just my thoughts

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssion View Post
    I'm just interested in farming old raids... will I be more Op at lvl 90 with 450 ilvl things or sty 85 and buy 415+ gear?
    While I don't know the math for 85, I can tell you that aiming for ilvl450 at 90 is similar to aiming for ilvl333 at 85.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

your cat is probobly intelligent enough to gear up with hc gear+lfr gear at lvl 90 so id go for that

Actually, we have some 80 twinks in MoP gear that are beating 90s in dueling. Only drawback is the lower health, but that can be gemmed, chanted, or potioned at anytime.

Because i'm wondering whether or not to lvl my 85's to 90 or just equip them with 415+.

Most slots for hunter will have to be Stormscale as there is only a couple boe peices for hunter past 415 ivl..

Will it be enough for say TK? or Ony? And by enough I mean to do it easily with little risk of dying

Deleted
    Twinking at 85 with rogue now , and i almost solo all cata heroics ( and rogues have it hard :P ).

But 100k+ dps helps and you as hunter i guess would see it more thanks to your pet.

With raids works the same .. as long as you burst it down it wont kill you .

Dont know if you will be able to solo cata ones , but icc ones and lower prolly yes ( mechanics that let you of course ).

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssion View Post
    Will it be enough for say TK? or Ony? And by enough I mean to do it easily with little risk of dying
    It's still pretty easy to die to Kael'thas at 90 in heroic raid gear if you don't know how to handle the adds. There's at least two constant CCs that will be going to you. As a hunter you need to make sure that having a pet out won't trigger the mind-control effect because soloing it now makes it not happen at all but if the pet can trigger it then you're screwed. If it doesn't, then your pet tanks the adds and you can easily DPS your way through it in ~ilvl400 gear at 85.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]

Will I be able to kill it faster at lvl 90 with beginner 90 gear or 85 with higher end 85 gear

Your base damage will be higher at 90 then 85, even if you wore the same ilvl gear.... so go with 90.

That's actually incorrect. Damage goes down as you level, especially if you're wearing high end Cata gear.

It does exceed it fairly quickly once you get level 90 gear, though.
    Last edited by huth; 2012-12-21 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    That's actually incorrect. Damage goes down as you level, especially if you're wearing high end Cata gear.
    Correction: that's actually incorrect. Your individual spells do more damage as you level up while wearing the same gear. Period. Your ability to cast them faster, to crit more often and any mastery interaction does go down so your Damage-Per-Second will go down but your actually damage won't. A 90 in ~ilvl480 gear should beat an 85 in ~ilvl400 gear but that can really depend on the class.

Otherwise yeah, what he said.
    [What's half of minor?]

Deleted
    Level 80 is by far the best for twinking. It will do twice as much dps as any best geared lvl 85, and still more than any current lvl 90. The only issue is the low health.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Correction: that's actually incorrect. Your individual spells do more damage as you level up while wearing the same gear. Period. Your ability to cast them faster, to crit more often and any mastery interaction does go down so your Damage-Per-Second will go down but your actually damage won't. A 90 in ~ilvl480 gear should beat an 85 in ~ilvl400 gear but that can really depend on the class.

Otherwise yeah, what he said.
    Depending on your class, your actual damage may go down. Especially for people with relatively straight-forward masteries like Assassination rogues or Enhancement shamans.

Aside from that, if you're talking about general character damage, you're usually talking DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Level 80 is by far the best for twinking. It will do twice as much dps as any best geared lvl 85, and still more than any current lvl 90. The only issue is the low health.
    This is absolutely correct. The rating conversion changes become disproportionately more punishing in the Cata and MoP levels.