Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ...
35
43
44
45
46
47
LastLast
  1. #881
    Quote Originally Posted by AurizenDarkstar View Post
    What I find amazing in all of this is that other types of weapons are very heavily restricted/regulated.

    Look at the fact that while you can own a knife, there are limits to how big it can be, how long the blade is allowed to be, and it must be carried at all times on one's person, unobstructed from view. The only time I have seen a knife allowed to be concealed is if the blade was an inch and a half and was a small pocketknife (but I'm sure that changed after 9/11, so who knows what the laws are regulating them now). Hell, I have replica swords and one time while transporting one that I purchased from a convention, I got the nastiest look from an officer until I showed them that it wasn't even sharp. I have to wonder what I would have gone through if it had an edge?

    Granted, knives (or swords) don't have the killing power that a gun has, yet they are heavily regulated by law. So, why is it such a problem to even try and put common sense safeguards, laws and regulations on guns?
    Huh? I donot know what country or state you live in, but in mine, there are hardly no restrictions to buying or owning a sword. They donot have to have any serial numbers or a permit to buy. Of course you cannot go into a public place swinging one over your shoulder, as this would be a display of possible threat to others. The legal size of a pocket knife's blade lenght cannot exceed 3 1/2 ". Also it is not uncomon to see people with ones longer out in public with them strapped to thier belts in plain view. The point is, " concealed " knives have a limit on how long the blade can be. Now schools and some goverment buildings may have stricter restrictions on this. Such as courtrooms, etc.

  2. #882
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Huh? I donot know what country or state you live in, but in mine, there are hardly no restrictions to buying or owning a sword. They donot have to have any serial numbers or a permit to buy. Of course you cannot go into a public place swinging one over your shoulder, as this would be a display of possible threat to others. The legal size of a pocket knife's blade lenght cannot exceed 3 1/2 ". Also it is not uncomon to see people with ones longer out in public with them strapped to thier belts in plain view. The point is, " concealed " knives have a limit on how long the blade can be. Now schools and some goverment buildings may have stricter restrictions on this. Such as courtrooms, etc.
    That. And as far as I know there are US States where its legal for you to carry in public your own assault rifles, not "concealed" at all. That just blows my mind...

    While maybe you could find a reason for what are you carrying a long blade knife in the street, we all know why you carry the assault rifle and as stated before, guns have only one purpose and one function.
    Last edited by naturestorm; 2012-12-25 at 02:22 PM.

  3. #883
    Scarab Lord Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Medellín, Colombia
    Posts
    4,702
    Because wasting more money is always the way to go!

    This was to be expected, but its not like it can be afforded.
    pro-gun liberal

  4. #884
    Quote Originally Posted by naturestorm View Post
    That. And as far as I know there are US States where its legal for you to carry in public your own assault rifles, not "concealed" at all. That just blows my mind...

    While maybe you could find a reason for what are you carrying a long blade knife in the street, we all know why you carry the assault rifle and as stated before, guns have only one purpose and one function.
    I would not say guns have one purpose and one function " only". That is being pretty bias and narrowed minded when it comes to guns. Some love to target practice for the love of the sport. Annie Oakley comes to mind. I never heard of her ever shooting anyone. Only targets. And the trick shot artist are amazing to watch.

  5. #885
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I would not say guns have one purpose and one function " only". That is being pretty bias and narrowed minded when it comes to guns. Some love to target practice for the love of the sport. Annie Oakley comes to mind. I never heard of her ever shooting anyone. Only targets. And the trick shot artist are amazing to watch.
    Every weapon can be used for sports... but that doesnt change its main purpose.


    I wanted to post a funny link of a tank shooting at giant clay-pigeons but unfortunately I am not allowed to yet.

  6. #886
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Rami-Gilneas View Post
    Every weapon can be used for sports... but that doesnt change its main purpose.


    I wanted to post a funny link of a tank shooting at giant clay-pigeons but unfortunately I am not allowed to yet.
    The main purpose is largely irrelevant when that purpose isn't likely to be realized.

  7. #887
    Honestly i think the US have kind of dug their own grave when it comes to this. It's too late to do anything. They're just going to have to "deal with" an absurd amount of gun related crimes compared to other countries and frequent massacres.

  8. #888
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazrs View Post
    Honestly i think the US have kind of dug their own grave when it comes to this. It's too late to do anything. They're just going to have to "deal with" an absurd amount of gun related crimes compared to other countries and frequent massacres.
    Sadly, I think this is true. Our culture has been forever tainted with gun love. Thank you NRA.

  9. #889
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    The main purpose is largely irrelevant when that purpose isn't likely to be realized.
    Over 100.000 times per year guns are used to injure or kill people in america, so every 3000th american is directly affected and the chance of being injured by a gun is 2.5 times as high as to die in a car accident.

    Guns are made to injure and to kill, thats their main purpose and of course this includes hunting.
    So its much more likely that they are used for what they were made for than for sports.
    Last edited by Rami-Gilneas; 2012-12-25 at 08:06 PM.

  10. #890
    The Lightbringer JfmC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Antwerp City
    Posts
    3,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Sadly, I think this is true. Our culture has been forever tainted with gun love. Thank you NRA.
    The irony is that the NRA (I know not all their members are like this, but generally speaking) doesn't give a damn about the constitution, they only defend it because selling weapons is big business


    But hey, look at al the jobs guns create ... (I'm trying to see 1 positive thing about having loads of guns in a country)

  11. #891
    The Insane Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    15,355
    The US got a major problem with romantic notions and glorifications of guns and violence in general, coupled with socioeconomic issues.
    A ban wont solve anything, regulations will help a tiny bit, but dealing with the root of the problem will do the most good.
    The best thing about Kremlin posters is that as soon as you voice something they have to mention the US.
    Their awe and love for the US is truly great and I commend them for their love of their fellow men.

  12. #892
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    The US got a major problem with romantic notions and glorifications of guns and violence in general, coupled with socioeconomic issues.
    A ban wont solve anything, regulations will help a tiny bit, but dealing with the root of the problem will do the most good.
    And what is the root of the problem? Banning cowboy movies and ending poverty?

  13. #893
    Personal accountability, something our society frowns upon. Much like bengahzi, mistakes were made but no one was at fault.

  14. #894
    This is probably the most appropriate response to Wayne LaPierre's speech at the NRA:


  15. #895
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    And what is the root of the problem? Banning cowboy movies and ending poverty?
    Like most issues, the root of the problem is the lobbying power that organizations have in the US. Enough money will let you create your own legislation. It also lets you control public perception/opinion. The NRA had a whole lot of help making the US the gun nut paradise that it is today. The created an environment for the gun industry to thrive.

  16. #896
    The problem isn't necessarily guns. If we ban guns, then the psycho who wants to go out with a bang is just going to make an explosive out of materials from his local hardware stores and blow up a few people instead. Are we then going to ban hardware stores or home maintenance material because any idiot can google how to make smaller scales explosives? Mass shootings might draw attention from the media but they're quite rare when you start to consider how many movie theaters or schools or whatever else operate on a daily basis without issues.

    The problem is how we diagnose and treat mental illness. When we step up how we identify and deal with the mentally ill, stuff like this won't happen.

  17. #897
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Rami-Gilneas View Post
    Over 100.000 times per year guns are used to injure or kill people in america, so every 3000th american is directly affected and the chance of being injured by a gun is 2.5 times as high as to die in a car accident.

    Guns are made to injure and to kill, thats their main purpose and of course this includes hunting.
    So its much more likely that they are used for what they were made for than for sports.
    Can you find me the percentage of gun owners that use their weapons to harm others?

  18. #898
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,745
    What keeps bringing the "gun control" debate back to the political foreground is not all the various gun crimes that happen far too often. What does it is the legal gun owners committing mass shootings, or letting others take their guns and committing mass shootings. The problem here is not hardened criminals buying submachine guns in back alleys. Its citizens legally buying their firearms in gun shops or at gun shows and then killing, or letting others kill, us with them.

    The answer isn't letting the legal gun owners convince us to get guards to protect us from the legal gun owners' guns. The answer is to make it harder for the legal gun owners to kill as many of us whenever they decide too. The percentage is minor because its rare. However the cost of each attack is far out of proportion with the frequency. Rare but incredibly costly.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-12-26 at 02:50 AM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  19. #899
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Are the majority of gun crimes committed with legally owned guns? I was under the assumption that they weren't.

  20. #900
    The Lightbringer Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In your dome.
    Posts
    3,564
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    tbh i dont think the issue is about guns. its about a violent disfunctional society. loads of guns here in switzerland. kids learn and are encouraged to shoot early. very little violent crime.
    Good Lord Soulcrusher, something you say that I actually agree with... and yes, in this case you are right.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •