Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulkhan View Post
    Before I go on (as I'll probably get banned) , do you even have any knowledge of law whatsoever?

Also, where are you from?
    Simple reading will answer your second question. As for the first, I have quite an extensive knowledge of the law, in two countries actually. A double standard would be treating the exact same crime across two situations differently, based on aspects that don't have anything to do with the crime in itself, ie gender, which you are attempting to establish. There are, of course, ways that you can demonstrate double standards between males in females in certain areas of the law. But you have not established the parameters to successfully isolate the presence of a double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Simple reading will answer your second question. As for the first, I have quite an extensive knowledge of the law, in two countries actually. A double standard would be treating the exact same crime across two situations differently, based on aspects that don't have anything to do with the crime in itself, ie gender, which you are attempting to establish. There are, of course, ways that you can demonstrate double standards between males in females in certain areas of the law. But you have not established the parameters to successfully isolate the presence of a double standard.
    I'd rather not assume you're from a specific country simply because of the location you have there, since a lot of people lie about it or select another country for a variety of reasons, hence why I asked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather not assume you're from a specific country simply because of the location you have there, since a lot of people lie about it or select another country for a variety of reasons, hence why I asked.
    I just implied that I was from a different country, and to refer to my location. Now, the question is, is the fact that I'm not American going to cause you to present an ad hominem rather than address my post?

There are "related" double standards to this in the world; but the examples here aren't particularly meaningful or coherent.

Deleted
    Before I go on (as I'll probably get banned) , do you even have any knowledge of law whatsoever?

Also, where are you from?

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 09:21 PM ----------

Also, I just removed the example I had because you could not understand what I meant with it (mainly pointing out to the seriousness of each case)

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 09:22 PM ----------

check my other post here , #10
    Still, too little is known from the cases to actually tell anything about anything. If we get these kind of small samples(without knowing extensively about the rulings) we get the tabloid kind of justice which rambles about "justice" with a very limited scope. The legal doctrine, ie the expertise, would write miles of text if they could establish any kind of real discrimination and you would get loads of articles to support your case.

And before you jump at me, yes I have a master of law.

Deleted
    To be honest, it's not double standards. It's different. One thing happened on purpose (you cant accidentally take nude pictures of someone and post them) but the glass in the face assault was more of an accident. Yes it looks horrible but she didn't mean for it to happen, she just got mad and threw a glass at him. Reckless, stupid and definitely not ok, of course but it's not like she broke a bottle against the table, leaped on and him stabbed him in the face screaming "you will never be pretty again once Im done with you".

Not sure why you said "Now, the question is, is the fact that I'm not American going to cause you to present an ad hominem rather than address my post? "

I'm not American either, what's the point of that?

For some reason I can't quote you right now, question directed at Kaiserith

<shrug>

Yep, there's a double standard in the dealings between men and women in the eyes of the law. That's reality. Deal with it.

EDIT: if you don't like it, do something about it. There have been folks who have done so for centuries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why you said "Now, the question is, is the fact that I'm not American going to cause you to present an ad hominem rather than address my post? "

I'm not American either, what's the point of that?

For some reason I can't quote you right now, question directed at Kaiserith
    Than respond to my previous post.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I'm not sure where you are from, but normally alcohol = worse not better. She should have received a harder sentence because she was intoxicated while attacking him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I'm not sure where you are from, but normally alcohol = worse not better. She should have received a harder sentence because she was intoxicated while attacking him.
    Typically the law works in the different direction with this kind of thing, as alcohol is an impediment for common sense. Thus, it can mitigate the charges for certain crimes, as seen here: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...m/intoxication

"Generally, an intoxicated person is incapable of acting as an ordinary prudent and cautious person would act under similar conditions. In recognition of this factor, the law may allow intoxication to be used as a defense to certain crimes. In many jurisdictions, intoxication is a defense to specific-intent crimes. The underlying rationale is that the intoxicated individual cannot possess the requisite mental state necessary to establish the offense."

Deleted
    I don't know man, I think he'll look like a badass when those scars heal a little.

But yeah, intoxication should have absolutely zero influence on the sentence - unless you're prohibited from being intoxicated, then the sentence should obviously be more severe.