Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] Movies in 3D

So I decided to see The Hobbit in 3D. I've never seen a movie in 3D before. I must say I don't think 3D was that impressive.

Because it is not. I personally hate it, and see no reason for it to be there.

Deleted
    Agreed, I saw the latest Ice Age movie a couple of months ago in 3D, and it's really not nearly as advanced to be worth it yet. Maybe in a couple of yeas if they improve upon it further, but right now it's nothing special.

It isn't bad either ... it is far better than it was in the 70s/80s (not the red/blue, they had this same tech, just not as refined; ex: Marineland)

I like the 3D, I don't like wearing the glasses ... 3D isn't a replacement for quality writing/acting/directing/post-processing ... I'd prefer a good movie over a flashy one, and I prefer a good story, and those don't need flash or 3D.

I generally don't like the theatre in general. Movies are much better at home, a great tv, sound system, dark room, comfy couch/recliner, and much, much cheaper refreshments and snacks, in a climate set to you liking, with only the people you care about around you ... is priceless .... a dirty theatre with overpriced tickets, drinks, snacks, with morons surrounding you, with 'safety' lights always on so dumbasses don't fall over getting up and down in front of you to piss/get popcorn, etc. smells, sounds, etc. ... isn't really worth the $20+ a person it averages out to be (last time wife and I went, $50 - 2 tickets, 1 drink, 1 nacho, 1 popcorn).

I'm considering never going to the (movie) theatre again. I'll have to check into a real theatre (live performances) some time, haven't been to one of those since I was taken in primary school.

I kinda enjoy it when watching at home on a 47" TV where you can set depth and so on to fit your self, it's far from the next big thing made out of pure awesome though.

i love 3d, so glad i can have fun with the experience. maybe you guys are too sober

Deleted
    Never seen a movie in 3D and never will im 3D blind so i cant see it i just hope the whole 3D thing dies soon getting harder and harder to find cinemas that actuly show movies in non 3D :/

I don't really care for 3D in movies, but 3D in videogames in another story. The added depths can help in some games.

Deleted
    Same here. Do not really care for the 3D thing yet.

cant stand 3d movies, feels like every movie I have watched that has 3d in it used it to try and distract from terrible plots and/or acting

Avatar's 3D was pretty good. They didn't rely on cheap tricks of things flying at your face. They used 3D to add depth to the world which was awesome. Every other movie I've seen on the big screen in 3D has sucked. The Hobbit has been the only exception to this. I think the reason the Hobbit seemed ok to me was because they gave me actual real 3D glasses. Other movies they handed out the cheap paper ones that don't fit well over my real glasses. The Hobbit they gave out plastic sturdy glasses that worked really well over my glasses.

3D at home seems much better than on the big screen. Most movies at home seem to have "depth" to them. It is like looking into the TV instead of at a flat screen. I really dislike 3D though.

Deleted
    A cheap gimmick with a couple of outstanding exceptions. Generally avoid watching in 3D, unless there are good reviews regarding it. Will save you some money but most importantly, the uncomfort of that cheap glasses >_>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    A cheap gimmick with a couple of outstanding exceptions. Generally avoid watching in 3D, unless there are good reviews regarding it. Will save you some money but most importantly, the uncomfort of that cheap glasses >_>
    Pretty much. Saw the ordinary The Hobbit without 3d/48 myself.
    I guess its mainly a marketing tool used to get ppl in to the theatres, in a time where most movies can be downloaded legal or illegal shortly after premiere. The exceptions, imo, is Imax movies in Planetariums, they can be spectacular.

Marketing gimmick to get another 5-10 bucks out of the punter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    Avatar's 3D was pretty good. They didn't rely on cheap tricks of things flying at your face. They used 3D to add depth to the world which was awesome. Every other movie I've seen on the big screen in 3D has sucked. The Hobbit has been the only exception to this. I think the reason the Hobbit seemed ok to me was because they gave me actual real 3D glasses. Other movies they handed out the cheap paper ones that don't fit well over my real glasses. The Hobbit they gave out plastic sturdy glasses that worked really well over my glasses.

3D at home seems much better than on the big screen. Most movies at home seem to have "depth" to them. It is like looking into the TV instead of at a flat screen. I really dislike 3D though.
    http://www.amazon.com/LG-AG-F220-Cin...+on+3d+glasses

I would recommend those. I got em when I bought my tv, they work with normal theater 3d, but from what I've heard they don't work with IMAX 3d.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

15+ Year Old Account
    I find it very dark and blurry. It also gives me a bit of a headache. I'm not a huge fan of it in any case. Most movies it doesn't add much of anything.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    last 3D movie I saw was Thor. sat the entire movie with the moronic goggles weighing my face down, darkening the screen, and for what? I didn't see ANY 3D effects but a few snowflakes during the Jotunheim scenes. WHOOP-DEE-FRICKIN-DOO Hollywood...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

I also have never seen a movie in it. The rate my eyes are going it wouldnt help anyway.

I have a set of the black 3d glasses though, someone gave them to me, I keep them in the jacket pocket of my checkered suit, just for the look

10+ Year Old Account
    I like 3D when they use the technology right. Just look at Hugo, Life of Pi, A Christmas Carol, Avatar. All are films that used the technology to improve the experience remarkably.
    But mostly they just wrap their films in 3D to gain more money. Why did Drive Angry have to be in 3D? And the next G.I. Joe is in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I find it very dark and blurry. It also gives me a bit of a headache. I'm not a huge fan of it in any case. Most movies it doesn't add much of anything.
    I got a headache from watch The Hobbit. But that was because they had the god damn sound so loud it wasn't even funny.