Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Brewmaster Aristeia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,493

    Roommate Issues and Obnoxious Behavior

    or, How I asked the internet for help to and didn't learn to love my roommate.

    Keep in mind this is a SINGLE room with two beds inside a barracks as I bitch and moan here, I can't live anywhere else.

    So, my roommate here got engaged and his girlfriend got here only a couple days before I left for vacation. So far so great, he was an ok roommate before she got there.

    Well, after I got back from vacation apparently she had just been staying over basically 24/7 here, so once I got back from vacation she just STAYED here too. Now, I'm not one for confrontation, frankly I thought I was a bigger dick but I just don't know how to go about saying GTFO. Normally she doesn't stay the night here during the weekday because we have to actually get up early and go to work, but on the weekend I usually like to do stuff with friends and by the time I get back they're just both already there, I honestly just don't know how to go about this.

    I want to talk to him one on one, but she and him seem to literally never be apart, I'm started to get pissed and thinking I'm just going to tell them both off at once and screw diplomacy of all kinds.

    So please internet, what do you think should be my course of action?
    Last edited by Aristeia; 2012-12-22 at 04:53 PM.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

  2. #2
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,744
    Move our into a new place, you are asking him to spend less time with his girlfriend because it displeases you, this is the price you pay for having to share with another person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  3. #3
    Pandaren Monk Slummish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,780
    Tell them you want to split the rent 3 ways... She won't stay long.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Aristeia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Move our into a new place, you are asking him to spend less time with his girlfriend because it displeases you, this is the price you pay for having to share with another person.
    Sadly this isn't an option, I forgot to add this is a barracks so I'll edit my main post, I can't live literally anywhere else.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

  5. #5
    The only thing you can do is talk to him. She will not go away on her own simply ignoring her presence. More then likely she has no other place for them to go. Who would honestly sleep over at a barracks if they had the option. I thought those places with crowded with sleeping beds and bare required need to live. Tell him about you're concern.

    Most likely he will be blinded by love and no doubt whatever you say to him will pass to her to from him. But there's not much you can do besides just leave.

  6. #6
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    Sadly this isn't an option, I forgot to add this is a barracks so I'll edit my main post, I can't live literally anywhere else.
    Speak to an NCO then, a serviceman has a right to a little downtime without being pestered by civvies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  7. #7
    Brewmaster Aristeia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Speak to an NCO then, a serviceman has a right to a little downtime without being pestered by civvies.
    If it comes to that and we can't see eye to eye I suppose that's what I'll have to do, the barracks rooms we have are supposed to really be for one person, but we have two people and with her it feels like I have two roommates right now.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    4,069
    Come back to the room when you know they are both there, after taking a shower - and convienently forget your towel... Hey you don't care right. Surely this will leave one of them feeling uncomfortable. Maybe make some more "manlike" mistakes, things that normally don't bother men - until a lady is around. But before you go to war, I'd say talk him on a weekday when she isn't around.

  9. #9
    I'd tell her to pay half of my rent if she wanted to stay.

  10. #10
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    If it comes to that and we can't see eye to eye I suppose that's what I'll have to do, the barracks rooms we have are supposed to really be for one person, but we have two people and with her it feels like I have two roommates right now.
    Why is a serviceman worried about what his room mate would say? Grow a backbone and speak to him, what are they teaching in basic training nowadays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    If it comes to that and we can't see eye to eye I suppose that's what I'll have to do, the barracks rooms we have are supposed to really be for one person, but we have two people and with her it feels like I have two roommates right now.
    From my time in the service, there were certain restrictions on when/how long a civvy could be in our barracks room. It was certainly a no no to let them stay the night. A lot of NCOs and Duty Officers looked the other way because if no one is complaining then why take an issue with it. However, you aren't happy and they can help. Even if you don't want to get down into regulations talk to your NCO or his NCO and let them know what's going on.
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2012-12-22 at 05:28 PM.

  12. #12
    Brewmaster Aristeia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Why is a serviceman worried about what his room mate would say? Grow a backbone and speak to him, what are they teaching in basic training nowadays?
    Because I have this sick compulsion to try and please people and he tricked me into not hating him off the bat, but I've never had a problem telling people off about shit except for this all of a sudden, it's a very confusing feeling.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

  13. #13
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    Because I have this sick compulsion to try and please people and he tricked me into not hating him off the bat, but I've never had a problem telling people off about shit except for this all of a sudden, it's a very confusing feeling.
    May I ask what branch of the military you are in? Whats your MOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  14. #14
    Ask for new quarters away from it. Shouldn't couples me given different accommodation anyway?

  15. #15
    Brewmaster Aristeia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    May I ask what branch of the military you are in? Whats your MOS?
    Army, 13f FO
    The earth is not a cold dead place

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Ask for new quarters away from it. Shouldn't couples me given different accommodation anyway?
    When they get married I'm sure he will get moved out, but other than that, no.

  17. #17
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    Army, 13f FO
    An Infantryman that is afraid to confront a problem is in for a miserable time, seriously, you need to get over it. Confront this guy and stand up for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  18. #18
    Brewmaster Aristeia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    An Infantryman that is afraid to confront a problem is in for a miserable time, seriously, you need to get over it. Confront this guy and stand up for yourself.
    Oh I planned to tomorrow no matter what, I'm just asking how to go about this diplomatically, because I want to avoid shouting and cursing, because I'm mad at myself too.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

  19. #19
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    Oh I planned to tomorrow no matter what, I'm just asking how to go about this diplomatically, because I want to avoid shouting and cursing, because I'm mad at myself too.
    Thats how squaddies deal with it, have it out with him then go for a few beers after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  20. #20
    Brewmaster Aristeia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Thats how squaddies deal with it, have it out with him then go for a few beers after.
    Well that's all the go-ahead I needed for myself!
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •