Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Not sure if people realize, this story is from 6 months ago.
    It's been mentioned in the last page or two. So it's accurate to say that "some do", but likely many that are posting are still unaware. It was also mentioned that the date on it is more or less irreverent to the topic being discussed.

Not sure if people realize, this story is from 6 months ago.
    people know, but they're smart enough to realize it has no relevance to anything being discussed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    It's been mentioned in the last page or two. So it's accurate to say that "some do", but likely many that are posting are still unaware. It was also mentioned that the date on it is more or less irreverent to the topic being discussed.
    Ah, i read the first few pages, then skipped to the end. But I disagree with the idea that the date of the story is irrelevant. This story was obviously posted now, in connection with the recent events that have occurred.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, i read the first few pages, then skipped to the end. But I disagree with the idea that the date of the story is irrelevant. This story was obviously posted now, in connection with the recent events that have occurred.
    Oh yes, there is an attempt at relevance. This is a fourteen year old protecting his siblings and homestead with a handgun from an armed intruder months ago. Of course while the NRA guy was ranting, someone else was killing three people in Pennsylvania. Neither is a wacko killing his mother, taking her not nearly secured well enough apparently but legally purchased semiautomatic rifle to a school, and killing twenty kids in their classroom.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ruinshin View Post
    What gangs do you have in United Kingdoms? How about Europe?

Alright, well, of what are probably the top 10 gangs, the US is home to 8, most of which are formed or were started by central American immigrants.
    We've got a lot of immigrants in Europe but unlike you we don't isolate them or blame them for everything (at least we try not to).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    We've got a lot of immigrants in Europe but unlike you we don't isolate them or blame them for everything (at least we try not to).
    Media myth. Immigrants for the most part are actually fairly well integrated, unlike the severe problems in France and the UK. (Which is the fault of the immigrants, not the government, and not just political spin).
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    I'm curious why a loaded gun was laying accessible around kids ages 8, 10, 12 and 14.
    good question, though the teenager may of been trained by an instructor
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Media myth. Immigrants for the most part are actually fairly well integrated, unlike the severe problems in France and the UK. (Which is the fault of the immigrants, not the government, and not just political spin).
    Well, their kids speak French at least. Problem is that they can't get a job :/
    Which part of "The West" do you live Didactic ?

No, it's more like a demonstration of how guns, when properly handled by people educated on their use and gun safety, can be a useful and sometimes life-saving tool.

The other 19 times, it's usually a case of a moron parent that was too lazy to get a gun safe.
    None of which is a good argument to make about guns adding safety. If anything, they take it away. Unless you think Adam Lanza's mother, a gun enthusiast was safe because she owned quite a few guns. They were the very thing that killed her

10+ Year Old Account
    Why it was posted is irrelevant. It's related to the current gun debate. Motive from the poster is meaningless unless he concocted the story somehow and fooled several news outlets to run with it.

If an eight month article about a legal gun owner killing fifteen people were posted, would you shrug off the age of the article? I think you would.

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 01:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    We don't isolate immigrants. Companies and governments bend over backwards to accommodate language barriers. Many new immigrants tend to stick together. Their children are the bridge and they start integrating at a fairly young age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    They were the very thing that killed her
    Quite ironic isn't it? Killed by your own firearms.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    None of which is a good argument to make about guns adding safety. If anything, they take it away. Unless you think Adam Lanza's mother, a gun enthusiast was safe because she owned quite a few guns. They were the very thing that killed her
    What part of "when properly handled by people educated on their use and gun safety" did you fail to grasp? She didn't keep her weapons secured, she was being stupid and paid the price.

And she wasn't a gun enthusiast per se, she was a survivalist/doomsday prepper.

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 11:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    Well, their kids speak French at least. Problem is that they can't get a job :/
    Which part of "The West" do you live Didactic ?
    Here and there. Lived in a few places, and consider myself one of those eurotrash "world citizens" - I currently reside in the United States, atm.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

So since he didn't kill the intruder, now we're going to get probably a sad case of the intruder suing the boy and his family...

In all seriousness though, good thing he shot the intruder, I'd have done the same and likely finished him as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    So since he didn't kill the intruder, now we're going to get probably a sad case of the intruder suing the boy and his family...

In all seriousness though, good thing he shot the intruder, I'd have done the same and likely finished him as well.
    No Judge worth his or her salt would take the case seriously. Again, Arizona is a Stand Your Ground state, the kid was perfectly within his rights.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I think it was both the handguns and the rifle given that there was a rifle in the picture of him dead on the floor. Maybe that was from another shooting, though.
    I'd be really, really surprised if there have been any photos leaked from Sandy Hook already. For one, heads would absolutely roll if it did happen, and for two, there are unfortunately areas of the internet salivating at the prospect and they would have vetted and spread them around if there were.

That being said, I don't doubt in the slightest that someone is trying to pass unrelated photos off as being legitimate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanamman View Post
    That is a fair question, but at the same time. These kids may be dead without the gun. We won't ever know what would have happened and I would rather not find out because stupid politicians think guns are evil.
    Yes because armed intruders normally bang the door a bit then they enter the house and murder kids, they do like to take their time at doors. Good logic there. Also as a rational person one that has been taught in a democratic 21th century country, why didn't the kid call the police first? We are taught that here since young, when something bad is about to happend call the police then try to defend yourself.

In a strict gun regulated country the intruder 9/10 times would not even have a gun but another weapon (maybe a knife lets say), the kid would have baricaded the door and called the police. And the police would delt with the guy and im sure as he will soon noticed, outguned by the police he could either surrender or run, or put up a fight, ending with him being shoot but by the police not by a kid.

Not to mention since here a gun permit is that expensive and hard to get, a cheaper protection for your home would be contract with a sectury company + cameras + good locks on doors. So in cases like this, home invasions, push the button, close the door and hold tight untill the security car comes. It's by far the best investment and it tops any gun owning on house protection.
    Last edited by mmoc0127ab56ff; 2012-12-23 at 09:11 AM.

What part of "when properly handled by people educated on their use and gun safety" did you fail to grasp? She didn't keep her weapons secured, she was being stupid and paid the price.

Oh please, this statement is completely dense. You can be well educated in gun safety and gun handling and go out on a shooting spree just the same. Guns are made for killing, there is no difference morally from shooting an animal to shooting a human being. Also, the CT shooter was educated in the use of firearms, his mom took him shooting at the gun range as a "bonding experience". There is nothing to stop you from using the skills you acquire about how to use a gun, on other people. In fact that's exactly what a gun is for

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    Would you people honestly call the police and let the guy breaking down your door have his way with you and/or your belongings in the mean time? Is that a chance most of you would honestly take?
    Because a 14 year old boy getting into a potential gunfight with 2 adults, atleast one of them armed, is much safer.

I don't know about you, but if an armed robber broke into my house I would much rather call the police and hide instead of risking my life trying to fight him off. My life is more important to me than the things in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Meezh View Post
    Because a 14 year old boy getting into a potential gunfight with 2 adults, atleast one of them armed, is much safer.

I don't know about you, but if an armed robber broke into my house I would much rather call the police and hide instead of risking my life trying to fight him off. My life is more important to me than the things in my house.
    Ut oh, you opened the bag!!! Don't you know many people find "things"just as valuable as your life and you should defend them, otherwise you're letting the thief insult you!

Quote Originally Posted by Meezh View Post

You're assuming a lot of things not in the article. He got his younger siblings upstairs, doesn't say when police were called. It does say that the door was forced open and the armed guy was coming up the stairs though.

First time I read the story, I thought maybe the lady was fleeing the guy with the gun rather than an accomplice, possibly the guy kicked in the door looking for her, but none of that is stated in the article, nor does it matter for the safety of the children.

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 11:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Ut oh, you opened the bag!!! Don't you know many people find "things"just as valuable as your life and you should defend them, otherwise you're letting the thief insult you!
    The most expensive things in my house are my guns, but if I use my guns to defend my guns, they might put them in evidence and I might not have them!

Oh, the conundrum!