Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Unholy PvE in 5.2

What do ya'll think of the changes? I doubt it will be enough for a mass exodus to unholy, but it's certainly interesting.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan of the plague strike change, as it's basicly outbreak 2.0. It's still very early PTR so there's hardly reason to comment on upcoming changes when they're not guaranteed yet. Loving the gargoyle change though, curious how the shadow/nature damage thing will work out.

The new Plague Strike means that target switching can be done much more easily without desynchronizing Runes.
    The Shadow damage on the Gargoyle means that it now scales with our mastery, making it do more damage and likely bumping the value of mastery so our stat priority would now be Haste>Mastery>Crit, like when we had Gurthalak. Free Gargoyle means it doesn't compete with Death Coil anymore, eliminating the potential problem of two Death Coils being better. Also, increases burst in PvP, if ever so slightly.

Overall, quite happy with those, but I wish rampup could be addressed and that survivability in PvP could be looked at.

These are some sexy changes I can't wait for em.

Glad we don't have to chose between buffing timmy or summoning garg now via runic power..

15+ Year Old Account
    Loving the changes. EPB change makes using PL a lot smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    Glad we don't have to chose between buffing timmy or summoning garg now via runic power..
    I second this. The change will alleviate the ramp-up quite heavily. Still waiting on something that'll ease the GCD capping issues Unholy comes across very often with haste effects, though.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    I second this. The change will alleviate the ramp-up quite heavily. Still waiting on something that'll ease the GCD capping issues Unholy comes across very often with haste effects, though.
    Couldn't agree more. Being stuck with 3+ Death runes with a single rune ability to dump them with isn't really fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are not considering that fact that the current tier pieces are gimp for unholy vs. frost, which is a major setback for unholy currently and is by far the biggest reason you see such a spread in parses between the two. If they don't F@*& it up again in 5.2 and in addition to the upcoming unholy changes, both specs should be very close.

Here is what I consider to be stat priority in 5.2 especially end game 5.2: haste to 5k, dump the rest into crit>mastery

I'm assuming blizzard will lean toward unholy with this next tier set just to make people swap things around and spend gold..
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

The changes will make things better but I don't think it will make things as good as people think... Unholy's burst aoe is still going to be pants.

isnt it always the case for dps specs?

cata start was unholy , then frost then unholy again.

now its the same , kinda bored about this pattern tho.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laroux View Post
    You are not considering that fact that the current tier pieces are gimp for unholy vs. frost, which is a major setback for unholy currently and is by far the biggest reason you see such a spread in parses between the two. If they don't F@*& it up again in 5.2 and in addition to the upcoming unholy changes, both specs should be very close.

Here is what I consider to be stat priority in 5.2 especially end game 5.2: haste to 5k, dump the rest into crit>mastery
    I've no idea what you mean with tier being the culprit. Tier pieces have all different stats, so they're roughly the same value for all specs.

For the 5.2, 5k haste is way too low. You'll be seeing downtime even with 8k haste which I'm sitting at now in UH. Nothing in 5.2 devalues haste, if anything mastery might become better than crit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraeth View Post
    I've no idea what you mean with tier being the culprit. Tier pieces have all different stats, so they're roughly the same value for all specs.

For the 5.2, 5k haste is way too low. You'll be seeing downtime even with 8k haste which I'm sitting at now in UH. Nothing in 5.2 devalues haste, if anything mastery might become better than crit.
    At 8k haste Im sure youre having a good time when both UF and BL is up

Quote Originally Posted by schleimhaut View Post
    At 8k haste Im sure youre having a good time when both UF and BL is up
    The obvious and necessary workaround this is to simply not stack them, but why is Unholy one of the only specs in the game that basically gets penalized for stacking cooldowns? Not only that, but often times you'll find yourself GCD capped with even just one of the aforementioned cooldowns active.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraeth View Post

Not talking about the stats, I was referring to the missing +10% damage to death coil and a buff in haste for the 4 tier piece for unholy spec.
    Take it one step further and put the frost tier pieces in the same position unholy has been dealing with.
    For frost take out 10% to obliterate from the frost 2 piece and reduce the 5% from the 4 tier and put it at around 2.5%.

If you put those changes into effect for both specs you would see the gap close tighter than it currently is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    The obvious and necessary workaround this is to simply not stack them, but why is Unholy one of the only specs in the game that basically gets penalized for stacking cooldowns? Not only that, but often times you'll find yourself GCD capped with even just one of the aforementioned cooldowns active.
    That's a general problem with Haste cooldowns and the way Haste scales out of control for classes that get resource gen from it. It's not really specific to UFrenzy.

Put another way, they need to solve the root issue with how Haste stacking spirals out of control before they could really do anything to fix it for UFrenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranaas View Post
    isnt it always the case for dps specs?

cata start was unholy , then frost then unholy again.

now its the same , kinda bored about this pattern tho.

Huh? At the start of cata unholy was insane, then nerfed to mediocrity that stayed until 4.3 when gurth and other changes made it competitive, yet still dw frost was the better raiding spec.

Switching target as UH? its quite simple when you have, rolling blood, pestilence options that ON Reaping table...
    Don't quite understand the PS changes tbh. Only thought i have in mind is multidotting distance targets.
    1Min CD deathcoil that apply deseases instead of Outbreak sound more appealing in sake of building DT at fight starts to gap a bit between the ramp up and the burst.
    Gargoyle change is LOVELY no complains here.

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
    Switching target as UH? its quite simple when you have, rolling blood, pestilence options that ON Reaping table...
    Don't quite understand the PS changes tbh. Only thought i have in mind is multidotting distance targets.
    The point is when your starting on a fresh mob that's too far to pestilence to and your outbreak and unholy blight are both on cooldown.
    In this situation you normally have to waste 2 globals on Icy Touch > Plague Strike before you can start nuking. This also de-syncs your runes so you lack a frost rune to pair with a blood rune for Festering Strike.

The Plague Strike change means you can hit the mob with Plague Strike then go straight into Festering / Scourge Strike spam like normal.