Thread: RAM question..

Deleted

RAM question..

yo.. on my pc i had 8GB ram (2x4GB sticks). my friends ram has bust or summit so i gave him one of my 4GB sticks until he gets a new one.
    but i found an old 2GB ram stick in my cupboard so i put it in my pc making 6GB ram (1x4GB stick and 1x2GB stick) it shows as 6GB in the computer/system properties bit but my friend said i shouldnt do that as it wont work together properly, i should use 2 sticks the same size he reckons...

so question is. is a 4GBstick and a 2GB stick ok to use together? or does it have to 2 the same? cheers
    these are DDR3 btw

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by emoelitistthreadderailer View Post
    yo.. on my pc i had 8GB ram (2x4GB sticks). my friends ram has bust or summit so i gave him one of my 4GB sticks until he gets a new one.
    but i found an old 2GB ram stick in my cupboard so i put it in my pc making 6GB ram (1x4GB stick and 1x2GB stick) it shows as 6GB in the computer/system properties bit but my friend said i shouldnt do that as it wont work together properly, i should use 2 sticks the same size he reckons...

so question is. is a 4GBstick and a 2GB stick ok to use together? or does it have to 2 the same? cheers
    these are DDR3 btw
    Best to keep them the same to avoid errors saying that if it's running ok why not Only disadvantage doing that is you will be running in single channel mode and not dual though I doubt you will see any loss of performance.

Two different sticks run slightly slower (few %) and will make overclocking very hard or outright impossible. Besides that there are no problems with it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by emoelitistthreadderailer View Post
    my friend said i shouldnt do that as it wont work together properly, i should use 2 sticks the same size he reckons...
    you should have taken that as your cue to hand him the 2GB stick and to have you 4GB back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Festisio View Post
    you should have taken that as your cue to hand him the 2GB stick and to have you 4GB back.
    as of now i have my 2 4GB sticks back, my mate popped over n said hed have the 2GB instead until he goes to the pc shop on monday ;p
    thanks tho folks.