Idea for a game... Feedback wanted.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this, but I wasn't sure where I should post it.

I have an idea for a game, based off the old Star Wars Pod Racer games.

It would be an "MMO" style game, in the style of having a store, earned points, ranks, etc. You are given a choice of basic, no-frills racers, like a Medium-weight, Light-weight, and Heavy-weight. As you race, you are given points based on personal record times, overall record times, what you placed, damage to other racers, etc. You can then spend points to upgrade your racers, or buy new ones. Each racer would have a unique overall look, but able to be customized by the player with things such as fins, paint, etc.

This wouldn't be a "Car" game, but use the extremely fast-paced sci-fi setting similar to the Pod Racer games. Instead of speeds of 100 mph, it'd be more like 600-1000 mph. Outlandish planets and scenery, swamps, deserts, futuristic cities. Possibly add a "black market" that allows you to equip your pod with less... reputable items (flame vents, saw blades, blasters, bomb dispensers, etc).

It would either be F2P with a cash shop, or a small up-front fee ($10-$20) with no, or very limited, cash shop. However, either way you'd not be blocked from ANYTHING no matter how you chose to play. No direct pay-to-win. Like if you buy an item in the cash shop, it will change the matchmaking to put you with other people who have access to those items (either by playing and earning the points, or simply paying directly for the item).

For those unsure of what game i'm talking about, this should give you a good example.

So, what does the community think? Should I perhaps try to recruit some people and try to get this started, or scrap it and stick to my night job? =P

So, what does the community think? Should I perhaps try to recruit some people and try to get this started
    Do you have any experience in creating video games?

If not, do you have the money available to hire a team of professional staff that do?

If no to both those questions, I'd suggest dropping it. Take it from a student of Games Design. They aren't cheap or easy to make, and there is no room for an 'Ideas guy' in the studio.

Not publicly released games, no. I've made little things here and there on my own using free resources.
    However, I'm sure there are people like me who would want to work together to make something like this. And if it did take off, it would have a decent potential for profit.
    It wouldn't even need to be professionals. Grad students who graduated and find themselves without a job in their field, joining a project and even getting some sort of facsimile of a release out would help get their foot in the door with a real studio.

Hell, even if it was completely F2P and open source, it'd still be good for getting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Do you have any experience in creating video games?

If not, do you have the money available to hire a team of professional staff that do?

If no to both those questions, I'd suggest dropping it. Take it from a student of Games Design. They aren't cheap or easy to make, and there is no room for an 'Ideas guy' in the studio.
    It seems if you want money, you need to be hired by a game developing company, and if you have no experience whatsoever you're limiting yourself. If you drop any project you start because you "don't have experience", you won't get money, because theres a good chance noone will hire you. So unless you're born with money, you shouldn't start ANY projects? this kind of thinking can really limit yourself, IMO, and I don't think i'm being excessively naive/idealistic here. People that have initiative tend to do well.

You gotta start somewhere, and this seems like a decent idea, even though racing games aren't really my thing. Also matchmaking affected by CS items can really harm your queue times. I'd probably scratch that idea, and make them only give you a slight advantage, or just make CS items vanity items.

i would really like such a game. especially with extremely fast racers.

i can give you a list what i would want in such a game:
    -f2p. i think a frontload price would seriously hamper your income. and with all the tuning, customisation and those things i would say a cash shop would be the best way (as long as you don't sell better engines or something...)
    -lvling system. unlocking stuff is fun.
    -HUGE tuning part. the stuff that actually affect the racer. engines, upgrades, turbines, handling, lights, (weapons), countermeasures, boosts, armor, "fins", jumpers, addons that allows you to do special moves, cockpits with different huds, special upgrades for hot/cold/wet/underwater/swamp/alien/nongravitational worlds, ...etc
    -CUSTOMISATION. your main money grab. if this sucks your game will suck. don't hold back here. collours, patterns, accesories, different huds, motor designs, pipes, valves, afterburners, weapon skins, new animation for actives, attachable "stuff" ... etc
    -massive tracks with "themes" and cool possibilites like shortcuts, ramps, destroyable environment, moving objects and complete shifts in the gameplay like sand to water, uplifting stams, spirals, giant loopings, highspeed vertical drops, free flight ... so much potential that was never fullfilled for me...
    -massive amounts of players. offcourse depending on the track. but REALLY huge ones with more then 100 ... woha.
    -other modes. stunts, crash, speed, challanges something like that. for example like the flatout partygames. this is secondary ofcourse.
    -a nice garage to "hang out" with yourself and your ride.
    -a backstory. makes it feel more alive.
    -colourfully alien. noone needs another realistic grey F1 racer or gangsta nfs bullshit.
    -fair leagues and good matchmaking (should be standard but is really hard to achieve).
    -physics. don't has to be "realistic" but satisfying. heavy things should feel massive and heavy.
    -sound. especially soundtracks. those can massively enhance the gaming experience. if it changes depending on speed, position, rank, health or time ... even better.
    -graphics. artstyle over highend. i doesn't have to be crytec 3 if it looks nice. blizzard titles are good at this. performance and speed over power.

there is so much potential in racing games that has not been used yet. the old p.o.d game (not the starwars one) is up to now the best racing game imo. another small game that does much right of what i said in a design perspective would be nitronic rush. it is a free student project with really cool possibilities in the gameplay.

a well done "pod racer" would be an instant subscribe game. do it when you think you are up to it. but remember that noone ever achieved a fully satisfying racing game EVER.

i would go for kickstarter once you have a presentable script, video or even some kind of gameplay. i would give you my money if done right.
    Last edited by Sharde; 2012-12-22 at 06:15 PM.