Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Gold is no less 'secure' than paper, ultimately.
    This is a contradiction unfortunately because paper currency can be printed. GOLD cannot be. This is logic and common sense. the only way we can get gold. Is to mine where gold has not been found "which is extremely unlikely" on Earth, or go to space.

rebuttal?
    Evil is apart of all things, an essential energy of vile corruption. Evil manifests where Good thrives. You cannot have order without chaos. Nor, chaos without order.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    And I'd like to live in a society where I was king of the world and all pursuits were driven towards interstellar/dimensional travel. But the one we have now isn't too bad all things considered.
    I didn't say the one we live in now is the most terrible society to ever exist, I just said that I (much like tons of other people, I'm sure) think we could do a lot better for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I didn't say the one we live in now is the most terrible society to ever exist, I just said that I (much like tons of other people, I'm sure) think we could do a lot better for everyone.
    Of course when can do better, I just think "today's world" gets shit on far more than it deserves especially when compared to fantasy. We've done far more in terms of human rights and standard of living and just sheer stuff made and learned in the last 200 years than almost all recorded history before then. It's understandable to be frustrated with a slow pace on somethings but the sheer pace of change is quite staggering when you consider it.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Deleted
    no a lot of people on lower incomes still use cash.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Of course when can do better, I just think "today's world" gets shit on far more than it deserves especially when compared to fantasy. We've done far more in terms of human rights and standard of living and just sheer stuff made and learned in the last 200 years than almost all recorded history before then. It's understandable to be frustrated with a slow pace on somethings but the sheer pace of change is quite staggering when you consider it.
    I don't want to bash on religion here, but that graph of the knowledge gap between pre-dark ages and now is pretty telling. Honestly the supposition is that we could easily be a spacefaring race if we hadn't taken that huge leap backwards.

I'm kind of toying with the idea that a couple militaries already have rudimentary AI's, which will either make things amazing or end humanity forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Feardotwin View Post
    This is a contradiction unfortunately because paper currency can be printed. GOLD cannot be. This is logic and common sense. the only way we can get gold. Is to mine where gold has not been found "which is extremely unlikely" on Earth, or go to space.

rebuttal?
    You don't know the reasons for currency. If you can melt down your gold currency and barter with it for more, then it isn't a stable currency. If not, then it doesn't matter anyway because it's worth the face value regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    You don't know the reasons for currency. If you can melt down your gold currency and barter with it for more, then it isn't a stable currency. If not, then it doesn't matter anyway because it's worth the face value regardless.
    As I mentioned earlier. Or you seemed to ignore a previous post of mine. Barter is still a form of trade. The "ounces" of gold is what matters as melted down or NOT. Gold will remain a universal form of currency until the desire for something completely different comes into our minds. "Value of Possession" is what drives currency.

Again... common sense...
    Evil is apart of all things, an essential energy of vile corruption. Evil manifests where Good thrives. You cannot have order without chaos. Nor, chaos without order.

Quote Originally Posted by Feardotwin View Post
    As I mentioned earlier. Or you seemed to ignore a previous post of mine. Barter is still a form of trade. The "ounces" of gold is what matters as melted down or NOT. Gold will remain a universal form of currency until the desire for something completely different comes into our minds. "Value of Possession" is what drives currency.

Again... common sense...
    And bartering is more primitive and less useful than currency trading, which is where currency came from. Gold is not a currency anymore than copper or wool is a currency, it is a material. Using gold in currency increases the instability of the currency as the value of the gold may easily surpass the face value of the currency it is used in. Even worse still is a currency that is used to represent amounts of gold, as it allows ones currency to be controlled by the market for a raw material.

It seems like you're confusing the fluidity of a resource with it being a currency.

Sure is a lot of history to back up this claim, given how long we've had digital currency.
    From the inflation standpoint, there is little difference between paper and digital currency. Actually, digital would be VASTLY more prone to corruption. With paper, they actually have to have printing presses run and distribute the cash to destroy the value. With digital currency, they just log on to a computer and add a few zeroes at the end.

The threat here is that corrupt governments will destroy the currency via inflation to pay for social programs. Digital currency does not protect us from that in any way.

What the ....?

You want gold, not numbers on a screen, one day your Dollars will plummit, and whoever got the gold will end up beeing extremely rich.

Just look at the banks, it's all funny money, and it's fun while it lasts, but in the end, nothing is valuable like good old gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    What the ....?

You want gold, not numbers on a screen, one day your Dollars will plummit, and whoever got the gold will end up beeing extremely rich.

Just look at the banks, it's all funny money, and it's fun while it lasts, but in the end, nothing is valuable like good old gold.
    Gold is no different than any other raw material. Gold as a currency is just as vulnerable to crashing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Physical money represents value in gold equivalent to spot price plus any premium margins. When you cant trade it in for a pre-specified amount according to the physical money, then its not backed by gold.
    This is simply not true. Dollar Bills and other paper currencies around the world are not backed up by gold at all. Dollars represent only themselves and the confidence people have that they hold a value.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 05:20 AM ----------

Gold is no different than any other raw material. Gold as a currency is just as vulnerable to crashing.
    Yeah, I'm expecting a huge gold crash here in the next few years. If anything, Gold is MORE prone to booms and busts than fiat currency. Hell, just look at the value of Gold through the 80s.

'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!