Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

LED TV as monitor for gaming

So my parents just gave me one of my Christmas presents early. I had mentioned I wanted a new monitor (currently I use an ancient 16" CRT) and they went out and bought me a 22" LED TV because the sales clerk told them it could be used as a monitor.

I mostly use the computer for light gaming and Photoshop type stuff, so I'm not sure if an LED TV would be sufficient, or if an actual monitor would be better since the prices on the two seem pretty comparable. I remember using a TV as a monitor when I was a kid and it didn't work so well, but technology was a lot different then. They seemed so proud that they got me something I wanted so much. And I have to admit, almost anything would be better than my crappy CRT.

http://www.sears.com/seiki-22inch-le...p-05771924000P <-- That's the TV. What do you guys think?

Sig by Isilrien

Deleted
    1360 x 768 @ 22 inches is the only draw back i could see. 20-23 inch monitors come @ 1980 * 1020, while tv's can still use low resolutions like the one you got.

Definitely better then a CRT in my opinion (They give me bad head aches, make noises, and flash).
    If you want to replace it for something else then go ahead, but it might upset your parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would return it and get a 24in monitor. I would hate looking at that resolution.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    I would return it and get a 24in monitor. I would hate looking at that resolution.
    This imo

In all likelyhood your CRT has a better resolution than the new screen.

Plus playing wow at such a low resolution wouldn't be fun

10+ Year Old Account
    It's def an upgrade over what you were using, and as long as it has a DVI (white square plug with 800+ pins) or HDMI connection (and your video card isn't as old as that CRT is), you're straight.

It could definitely be a painful resolution to game at, especially at the distance that a monitor usually sits, but returning it for something better could be a touchy subject as it was a gift -- depends on the people who got it for you though. Use your own judgement there.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post
    It's def an upgrade over what you were using, and as long as it has a DVI (white square plug with 800+ pins) or HDMI connection (and your video card isn't as old as that CRT is), you're straight.

It could definitely be a painful resolution to game at, especially at the distance that a monitor usually sits, but returning it for something better could be a touchy subject as it was a gift -- depends on the people who got it for you though. Use your own judgement there.
    Its doesn't, says "pc input" which is always VGA hookup

1366x768 is on resolution for watching TV, but really horrible as a computer monitor. You can buy 22" FullHD monitor at the same price that TV was, except without TV tuner.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I use a 32" tv set at 1080p with a vga input and it works great for everything I've used it for thus far. That one being a 720 tv would make it really bad for a computer monitor though.

15+ Year Old Account
    It auto-detected 1920x1060 when I plugged it in, and that's what it's running. Text looks a bit blurry, but WoW seems fine. My CRT couldn't handle much more than 1024X768, so resolution is a supreme upgrade. I guess I'll give it a few days and see how it works. I don't want to seem like an ingrate, I just also don't want them to "waste" the money if it's sub-par as a monitor when I don't need the TV part.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    In all likelyhood your CRT has a better resolution than the new screen.

Plus playing wow at such a low resolution wouldn't be fun
    Lol, I think high resolutions spoil you, or you forget what CRTs were actually like...

Sig by Isilrien

10+ Year Old Account
    That TV is dead awful... straight up... one of the worst TV's I've ever seen. Ok, so it's an LED... usually LED's are 120hz stock, this one is 60... On top of that it's only slightly better than 720p... and what's up with the no name brand? If your parents care about you, it doesn't really show. For about the same price, they could have bought you a new monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. All it shows is that your parents carelessly bought you something without... they must have saw it and thought, oh he's doing well, lets buy it for him. Don't get me started on people saying "OH YOU UNGRATEFUL PUNK, THE PARENTS AT LEAST BOUGHT HIM SOMETHING." Oh and people are supposed to be excited whenever they get something, regardless of whether or not they like it? It's like your parents buying you chocolate with nuts, but you despise nuts... before you can say anything about not liking nuts, they rage at you "OH PUNK, WE BUY YOU THIS AMAZING CHOCOLATE WITH NUTS AND YOU DON'T EVEN THANK US? YOU COMPLAIN THAT THERE ARE NUTS, YOU UNGRATEFUL PUNK!" If they were true parents who loved you, they would have atleast searched up a bit... for christ sake... on newegg you can get a monitor for 140 that is 1080p.

I use a 42" LG 120hz 1080p LCD TV. It works amazing... I initially thought the pixels would be stretched, but it's perfectly fine.
    Last edited by crakerjack; 2012-12-23 at 12:34 AM.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignore anyone saying stupid things like your parents don't love you. They thought they were doing a nice thing that would make you happy, and that's about as deep as it goes.

I'd recommend trying to get the TV replaced with a monitor. Just explain to your parents... Say the resolution and the refresh-rate are hurting your eyes because it wasn't designed for PCs. Make sure you point out how much you appreciate what they did for you, but let them know that the sales guy they spoke to didn't really understand what he was talking about. Have a look in catalogues or online for a 22/24-inch 1080p PC monitor around the same cost, make a point that you don't need the TV tuner and see if you can get them to exchange it for you.

Just be polite and appreciative and give them the concrete reasons that what they got you doesn't really suit your needs. Good luck.
    Last edited by Klingers; 2012-12-23 at 01:12 AM.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    That TV is dead awful... straight up... one of the worst TV's I've ever seen. Ok, so it's an LED... usually LED's are 120hz stock, this one is 60... On top of that it's only slightly better than 720p... and what's up with the no name brand? If your parents care about you, it doesn't really show. For about the same price, they could have bought you a new monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. All it shows is that your parents carelessly bought you something without... they must have saw it and thought, oh he's doing well, lets buy it for him. Don't get me started on people saying "OH YOU UNGRATEFUL PUNK, THE PARENTS AT LEAST BOUGHT HIM SOMETHING." Oh and people are supposed to be excited whenever they get something, regardless of whether or not they like it? It's like your parents buying you chocolate with nuts, but you despise nuts... before you can say anything about not liking nuts, they rage at you "OH PUNK, WE BUY YOU THIS AMAZING CHOCOLATE WITH NUTS AND YOU DON'T EVEN THANK US? YOU COMPLAIN THAT THERE ARE NUTS, YOU UNGRATEFUL PUNK!" If they were true parents who loved you, they would have atleast searched up a bit... for christ sake... on newegg you can get a monitor for 140 that is 1080p.

I use a 42" LG 120hz 1080p LCD TV. It works amazing... I initially thought the pixels would be stretched, but it's perfectly fine.
    Well, someone's mommy didn't hug him enough when he was growing up. I appreciate your input (about it being 60hz vs 120hz, the 720p, etc). But really leave the bile for your therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Ignore all these idiots saying things like your parents don't love you. They thought they were doing a nice thing that would make you happy, and that's about as deep as it goes.

I'd recommend trying to get the TV replaced with a monitor. Just explain to your parents... Say the resolution and the refresh-rate are hurting your eyes because it wasn't designed for PCs. Make sure you point out how much you appreciate what they did for you, but let them know that the sales guy they spoke to didn't really understand what he was talking about. Have a look in catalogues or online for a 22/24-inch 1080p PC monitor around the same cost, make a point that you don't need the TV tuner and see if you can get them to exchange it for you.

Just be polite and appreciative and give them the concrete reasons that what they got you doesn't really suit your needs. Good luck.
    Thanks. I've been playing WoW for a bit to see how it looks, and it seems to be working great... but then again, I'm comparing it to something that was pretty crappy, so almost anything would have been an improvement. But it probably won't work for long term monitor use for gaming. Can anyone recommend any good monitors for the price range, or is there a sticky I can look at that'll show me that info?
    Last edited by snuzzle; 2012-12-23 at 01:12 AM.

Sig by Isilrien

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    Thanks. I've been playing WoW for a bit to see how it looks, and it seems to be working great... but then again, I'm comparing it to something that was pretty crappy, so almost anything would have been an improvement. But it probably won't work for long term monitor use for gaming. Can anyone recommend any good monitors for the price range, or is there a sticky I can look at that'll show me that info?
    Someone'll probably come along and have a sticky they can link, but here's something to think about:
    http://www.newegg.com/Monitors/Category/ID-19 This is an online mob called "NewEgg" and they have different overheads which means they can give cheaper prices, but it's a basic reference you might find useful. They've even got a fairly nice Acer 23-inch 1080p monitor going for $109 USD right now.

I'm guessing you'll probably be limited to whatever's available at the same place your parents got the TV if they're going to exchange it for you, but it gives you a starting ballpark figure on prices.

Also don't quote me as an authority on this but if you're doing photoshop, you might get much better color vibrancy from even a similar cost PC monitor... The saturation is never that crash-hot in lower-end TVs.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Someone'll probably come along and have a sticky they can link, but here's something to think about:
    http://www.newegg.com/Monitors/Category/ID-19 This is an online mob called "NewEgg" and they have different overheads which means they can give cheaper prices, but it's a basic reference you might find useful. They've even got a fairly nice Acer 23-inch 1080p monitor going for $109 USD right now.
    I know NewEgg, that's where I bought my PC from a couple years ago :P I'd had a decent LCD monitor at the time, but then it died, so I just borrowed one of my dad's old CRTs and just never could justify buying a new one when the CRT "worked". Thanks for the tips on the colors, that was another of my concerns about the TV vs monitor thing.

Sig by Isilrien

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    It auto-detected 1920x1060 when I plugged it in, and that's what it's running.
    Most likely your TV can accept that source resolution but it is down scaling to the native 1360x768. Either way I think you should return and get a 1080p as it was pretty much the standard several years ago.

If you/they can shell out $50 more bucks, I would recommend this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+23%...&skuId=5563113

Almost perfect rating, IPS, LED. Great monitor, and super price.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    Or a 21.5" monitor with the same resolution as a 24" 1080p, but higher pixel density!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824260049

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 04:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackfan View Post
    If you/they can shell out $50 more bucks, I would recommend this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+23%...&skuId=5563113

Almost perfect rating, IPS, LED. Great monitor, and super price.
    No. Not an HP piece of trash monitor. Ratings on most websites, especially like Best Buy are trash. HP is not well-known for making high quality displays.

Asus, Dell, LG, and Samsung are the top tier.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The one you linked is good.

IPS > TN though. Do some research on that HP monitor (check out CNET or Tom's HW), and you will see that it is very good. Got to keep an open mind, and not state your opinion as fact.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackfan View Post
    The one you linked is good.

IPS > TN though. Do some research on that HP monitor (check out CNET or Tom's HW), and you will see that it is very good. Got to keep an open mind, and not state your opinion as fact.
    I know IPS is better, but why are HP IPS monitors not pushed so harshly? Because they aren't known for making quality products. I've done tons of research - I'm not about to suggest a product from a company that is known for parts that fail.

I will also bet, given the cheap $240 pricetag from the known-to-overprice Best Buy, that it is indeed not a quality product and likely is a lower-bit IPS display and not as high quality as the likes of Dell, LG, Samsung, or Asus IPS displays.

I would not even suggest someone buy from Best Buy here - at all.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water