Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    LG monitor Model number EB2242T-BN at Sears. Much better than that TV your parents got you for Christmas IMO.
    Its the same price as the TV your parents bought you so it should be a free exchange. Since I'm new on the forums I can't post links yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    LG monitor Model number EB2242T-BN at Sears. Much better than that TV your parents got you for Christmas IMO.
    Its the same price as the TV your parents bought you so it should be a free exchange. Since I'm new on the forums I can't post links yet.
    I don't know that they bought it from Sears. I don't think so, I'm thinking probably Best Buy. But thanks!

Sig by Isilrien

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I know IPS is better, but why are HP IPS monitors not pushed so harshly? Because they aren't known for making quality products. I've done tons of research - I'm not about to suggest a product from a company that is known for parts that fail.

I will also bet, given the cheap $240 pricetag from the known-to-overprice Best Buy, that it is indeed not a quality product and likely is a lower-bit IPS display and not as high quality as the likes of Dell, LG, Samsung, or Asus IPS displays.

I would not even suggest someone buy from Best Buy here - at all.
    I'd like to know where you're getting this "well known" information from. Most people I know agree that HP products are very solid.

Best buy also has probably some of the best prices on electronics as far as brick and mortar stores go, and if they don't they'll usually price match the item. If somebody did want to buy some electronics from a brick and mortar store best buy would be the first place I'd recommend.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyloBedo View Post
    I'd like to know where you're getting this "well known" information from. Most people I know agree that HP products are very solid.

Best buy also has probably some of the best prices on electronics as far as brick and mortar stores go, and if they don't they'll usually price match the item. If somebody did want to buy some electronics from a brick and mortar store best buy would be the first place I'd recommend.
    And most folks on this forum are often looking for things places like Micro Center and Tiger Direct have better stock of - computer parts. Micro Center, especially, will stock Dell IPS displays in-store, same with others and 120Hz displays. I've never met a person who was in the computer industry who thought highly of Best Buy or HP.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

the only time I buy something from best buy when I need something right then and there. My best buy is only about 20 minutes away. Like when my keyboard took a dump. As for HP, nothing but problems. I refuse to buy anything HP, Compaq, or Gateway. Dell is iffy,

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    the only time I buy something from best buy when I need something right then and there. My best buy is only about 20 minutes away. Like when my keyboard took a dump. As for HP, nothing but problems. I refuse to buy anything HP, Compaq, or Gateway. Dell is iffy,
    When it's an expensive Dell IPS monitor, you can rest easy knowing it has good support and is one of the best IPS monitors on the market. ^_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    It auto-detected 1920x1060 when I plugged it in, and that's what it's running. Text looks a bit blurry, but WoW seems fine. My CRT couldn't handle much more than 1024X768, so resolution is a supreme upgrade. I guess I'll give it a few days and see how it works. I don't want to seem like an ingrate, I just also don't want them to "waste" the money if it's sub-par as a monitor when I don't need the TV part.

Lol, I think high resolutions spoil you, or you forget what CRTs were actually like...
    I remember CRTs, i used them for a long long time

The best could do 1600x1200, but the majority where stuck at 1280x1024 (unless you go back even further, but i doubt the OP has one that doesn't do this resolution)
    And either way, both of those resolutions have more total pixels than 1360x768

Deleted
    Don't listen to the resolution stuff, i play on a 27" 1920x1080 and its perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    That TV is dead awful... straight up... one of the worst TV's I've ever seen. Ok, so it's an LED... usually LED's are 120hz stock, this one is 60... On top of that it's only slightly better than 720p... and what's up with the no name brand? If your parents care about you, it doesn't really show. For about the same price, they could have bought you a new monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. All it shows is that your parents carelessly bought you something without... they must have saw it and thought, oh he's doing well, lets buy it for him. Don't get me started on people saying "OH YOU UNGRATEFUL PUNK, THE PARENTS AT LEAST BOUGHT HIM SOMETHING." Oh and people are supposed to be excited whenever they get something, regardless of whether or not they like it? It's like your parents buying you chocolate with nuts, but you despise nuts... before you can say anything about not liking nuts, they rage at you "OH PUNK, WE BUY YOU THIS AMAZING CHOCOLATE WITH NUTS AND YOU DON'T EVEN THANK US? YOU COMPLAIN THAT THERE ARE NUTS, YOU UNGRATEFUL PUNK!" If they were true parents who loved you, they would have atleast searched up a bit... for christ sake... on newegg you can get a monitor for 140 that is 1080p.

I use a 42" LG 120hz 1080p LCD TV. It works amazing... I initially thought the pixels would be stretched, but it's perfectly fine.
    42" 1080p lawl even @ 120hz which NO LCD and LED TV's donot come STOCK @ that resolution to screen size is horrendous unless you are so far away that PC text would nearly be illegible.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    AOC monitor are really amazing and cheap, they are led i got a 24' AOC LED monitor in 170 dollars so getting a 22 should be 150 or so.. AOC is really releasing amazing quality, i also have a Sony bravia 32" with 1920x 1042 and i still prefer my monitor, despite the 7.1 sound from the video card u can usevia DVI, the video is just better in a monitor.

You can get a Dell Ultrasharp 22" for around $149 refurbished, get a refund for that TV and get one of those. You will be very happy. I have 2 refurbished Dell UH24's and they were as good as new, so don't let the "refurbished" tag fool you.

Tell your parents you appreciate their gift, but it's not what you need and would like to exchange it so you can get something better for what you need.