Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    No. Tying your currency to a metal is stupid.
    Not really knowledgeable on this aspect of economics.. but isn't it essentially because the value of your currency is based not on the health of the economy, but on the current value of gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Not really knowledgeable on this aspect of economics.. but isn't it essentially because the value of your currency is based not on the health of the economy, but on the current value of gold?
    That would be an advantage that fiat currency has, yes. Fiat currency also allows countries to play with the price if needed.

The government has better control over it. The two primary policy tools at the disposal of governments for maintenance of the economy is fiscal policy (tax and spending) and monetary policy (money supply). During the recent recession/depression, the Feds doubled the monetary supply of the United States. They couldn't have done that to mitigate the disaster if it's a gold standard (takes time to mine gold).

In the case of the United States, there's also the huge benefits of seigniorage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    The government has better control over it. The two primary policy tools at the disposal of governments for maintenance of the economy is fiscal policy (tax and spending) and monetary policy (money supply). During the recent recession/depression, the Feds doubled the monetary supply of the United States. They couldn't have done that to mitigate the disaster if it's a gold standard (takes time to mine gold).

In the case of the United States, there's also the huge benefits of seigniorage.
    Seigniorage isn't real, though. I mean the US government does make money on it, but it's just money that's wasted somewhere else in the economy. It's essentially just another kind of tax.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Seigniorage isn't real, though. I mean the US government does make money on it, but it's just money that's wasted somewhere else in the economy. It's essentially just another kind of tax.
    Yes, but it's tax on the entire world, because the US Dollar is the predominant medium in international exchanges. That's why I specified that it's a special case for the United States.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but it's tax on the entire world, because the US Dollar is the predominant medium in international exchanges. That's why I specified that it's a special case for the United States.
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that before. I wonder how much noncirculating physical US currency is outside the US, and if it really accounts for a significant portion of our typical seigniorage revenues.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that before. I wonder how much noncirculating physical US currency is outside the US, and if it really accounts for a significant portion of our typical seigniorage revenues.
    That's a complicated question. Some years ago the Feds published a study based on multiple estimates and I think they concluded that it was between 55-70% held overseas or something like that (http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/b...6/1096lead.pdf), but I don't know how it measures up to subsequent research or if circumstances changed that much since then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. There have been several instances in history where the growth of an economy has actually outstripped the supply of specie, resulting in market issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Pffft, it could work. Just pretend you have the gold even if you don't in times of crisis. Paint some lead or some such, no one will ever know (they probably won't show up demanding it either)

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Pffft, it could work. Just pretend you have the gold even if you don't in times of crisis. Paint some lead or some such, no one will ever know (they probably won't show up demanding it either)
    The problem with a gold standard is that people always show up demanding the gold in a crisis...

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with a gold standard is that people always show up demanding the gold in a crisis...
    That's okay. Lead is a soft, dense metal, right? And if they bite the coins to determine if they're real - hey, lead poisoning! One less person whining about money!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow