Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking on some opinions on what class to play for pvp

Hello pvp community, I have been playing wow since end of bc and have for the most part have focused primarily on raiding. However I would like to get into pvp, I had been doing RBG's for a short time and was having a blast doing so, arenas as well. But I've never put in the full time effort on one character, my main is a mage, and I'd like to have a seperate character to fully devote addons, ui, and all the bells and whistles for a strictly pvp toon.

I was originally just going to play my mage, but I think I may want to explore some other venues. I have usually always played a caster, so that could effect what I pick, or ranged in general. I'd love to get some feedback from the community to maybe some classes that are fun, and maybe easy to pick up. If not easy, then something worth putting effort into learning. I had been leaning towards maybe a hunter, shaman, or warrior. Preferably a dps spec, but I am willing to try something new. I think mainly I'm looking for a class that, I can hold my own in a bg, while learning the ropes, even though that's generally what's required. I currently have my mage at 90, but also a DK, and a Druid at 85, if i so choose to pick one.

So pvp community, sell me a class, I'd love to get some suggestions on classes, and possible what are the best pvp professions atm for when I level that toon :P

I can sponsorize you a Shadow Priest, wich is very good at the moment, fullfilling different roles at time; tho its quite frustrating against melees sometimes. Its so-so in 2v2 considering the mage nerfs.

If u're suicdal enough to stick to casters atm its all about your mage (wich u want to be pve only) or spriest. I say this considering the inital stage of 5.2 balance, where Warlocks (my pve toon, so i know how handy is separating toons pve-pvp, i copy&pasted a whole different client for pvp purposes) gets even more nerfed.

Between DPS specs from Hunter Sham a Warrior, its War and Hunter hands down. Picking a DPS shamans its going to lead you to paranoia, while the other two class may look funnier and much more effective. I'd go for Hunter, really looks funny.

Play what you like no class is best they all have up and downs.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

Quote Originally Posted by Gotjuice View Post
    Play what you like no class is best they all have up and downs.
    Oh I wasn't really looking for a "this class is the best" answer. More-so valid arguments from people that play their class, and why they have fun with it, to help me make a decision.

Just don't fotm reroll and you'll be fine! of the ones you asked for, i'd personall say hunter, HIGH as fuck skill cap and can hold it's own more than easilly enough

Deleted
    Seeing how you've got experience playing a caster I'd suggest a shadow priest. But if you're leaning more towards melee, I'd suggest starting a rogue - they're easy to pick up, hard to master. Oh and I promise you, they'll be really strong next season

Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    I was originally just going to play my mage, but I think I may want to explore some other venues. I have usually always played a caster, so that could effect what I pick, or ranged in general. I'd love to get some feedback from the community to maybe some classes that are fun, and maybe easy to pick up. If not easy, then something worth putting effort into learning. I had been leaning towards maybe a hunter, shaman, or warrior. Preferably a dps spec, but I am willing to try something new. I think mainly I'm looking for a class that, I can hold my own in a bg, while learning the ropes, even though that's generally what's required. I currently have my mage at 90, but also a DK, and a Druid at 85, if i so choose to pick one.
    I assume you looking for considering the flavor of the class, rather than the OPness/FOTMness.

I'd say that you can try feral, DK, or Shaman.

DK
    A good Frost DK will always be brought for RBGs for Death Grip and target calling. In Arenas, currently a bit of a glass cannon but your damage is pretty OP, and it's still strong. Better than a Ret in almost every way possible at least. Pair with a good DPS for instant gibbing.

Feral
    Altho it's CC and damage is probably due for a nerf by 5.2 they're still looking to be pretty strong. Stealth is very attractive, and FCing by stacking sprint/speed enchants can be borderline OP. Again, great in RBGs, great/good in Arena

Shaman
    It's pretty shit now, but the patch notes for 5.2 indicate some major buffs headed our way in survivability. Ele and Enh have good damage but are a bit weak in survivability now. Should improve significantly in 5.2.

WW Monks
    Likely going to be overbuffed. This is a bit of speculation on my part though so your mileage may vary.

Basically if you're looking to "hold your own" in a random BG while learning the class, Feral and DK look good. Their offspecs are also often sought after if you really wanna consider offspec tanking/FCing. Fair warning that Ferals have a bit of a learning curve now, impossible to play without addons. DKs are much easier.

*As a sidenote, I'm willing to wager Frost DKs and Shamans will not be nerfed for a while as they are the yardstick for balance according to Ghostcrawler. Spriest and Ferals have been stated to be on the nerf radar, so proceed with caution.
    Last edited by Booniehat; 2012-12-23 at 10:19 AM.

Deleted
    I have tried a few different classes to see what I get along with. And for ranged I personally liked shadow priest the most. You can hold your own on this easy with the offheals/shields they have. (ofcourse there are more ranged classes that can..to an extend we all can..comes down to practise)
    I like the priest just i had swapped mains for pve and play a mistweaver monk now which let me into trying monk pvp and hands down i picked a windwalker. In battlegrounds i can hold my own very well...with the advantage that alot of battleground player aren't aware of monk spells must say it made me laugh alot lately..and i agree on paper for 5.2 it looks a bit overbuffed. There been alot of complaints about monks in pvp but in my opinion they are already pretty strong they just require good timing and being a step ahead.

mage is prolly your best bet together with moonkin(which are harder tbh, but I havent played boomkin as long).

do NOT go shadow priest, they are getting wrecked next patch and put in line, while mage for example, even when nerfed is very viable and doesnt take much to play good.

Someone who played heals for 4 years and recently switched classes to enhance dps, I'm loving it. Enhance isnt for everyone though, some people find it boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    do NOT go shadow priest, they are getting wrecked next patch and put in line.
    What will happend to Spriests in 5.2? cant see anything nerfy in patch notes for 5.2 so far

Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post
    I assume you looking for considering the flavor of the class, rather than the OPness/FOTMness.

I'd say that you can try feral, DK, or Shaman.

DK
    A good Frost DK will always be brought for RBGs for Death Grip and target calling. In Arenas, currently a bit of a glass cannon but your damage is pretty OP, and it's still strong. Better than a Ret in almost every way possible at least. Pair with a good DPS for instant gibbing.

Feral
    Altho it's CC and damage is probably due for a nerf by 5.2 they're still looking to be pretty strong. Stealth is very attractive, and FCing by stacking sprint/speed enchants can be borderline OP. Again, great in RBGs, great/good in Arena

Shaman
    It's pretty shit now, but the patch notes for 5.2 indicate some major buffs headed our way in survivability. Ele and Enh have good damage but are a bit weak in survivability now. Should improve significantly in 5.2.

WW Monks
    Likely going to be overbuffed. This is a bit of speculation on my part though so your mileage may vary.

Basically if you're looking to "hold your own" in a random BG while learning the class, Feral and DK look good. Their offspecs are also often sought after if you really wanna consider offspec tanking/FCing. Fair warning that Ferals have a bit of a learning curve now, impossible to play without addons. DKs are much easier.

*As a sidenote, I'm willing to wager Frost DKs and Shamans will not be nerfed for a while as they are the yardstick for balance according to Ghostcrawler. Spriest and Ferals have been stated to be on the nerf radar, so proceed with caution.
    frost dk was an option I was considering if I went melee, all day in trade chat people looking for a frost DK to do RBG's with.

despite what everyone says, I wouldn't recommend hunter. Trying to learn such a difficult class in addition to the PvP side of the game (which requires a lot more reflex and on-the-go thinking in a MUCH faster-paced and more dynamic environment) at the same time can be an overkill. Hunter will be very easy at low levels, but quite frustrating at 90. Also, hunter is the ranged class that relies on gear the most; the grind for gear will only add to your frustration.

I recommend shadowpriest like most though. The reason is, now that hybrid healing is nerfed, it is a fairly balanced class/spec. You have access to some effective dots, burst opportunities and great utilities to get out of trouble, heal and help others. No other class in the game is that balanced in terms of capabilities in my opinion. I really don't see them being nerfed or buffed significantly until the end of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by kharyll View Post
    despite what everyone says, I wouldn't recommend hunter. Trying to learn such a difficult class in addition to the PvP side of the game (which requires a lot more reflex and on-the-go thinking in a MUCH faster-paced and more dynamic environment) at the same time can be an overkill. Hunter will be very easy at low levels, but quite frustrating at 90. Also, hunter is the ranged class that relies on gear the most; the grind for gear will only add to your frustration.

I recommend shadowpriest like most though. The reason is, now that hybrid healing is nerfed, it is a fairly balanced class/spec. You have access to some effective dots, burst opportunities and great utilities to get out of trouble, heal and help others. No other class in the game is that balanced in terms of capabilities in my opinion. I really don't see them being nerfed or buffed significantly until the end of the expansion.
    Yea people keep telling me shadow priest, I might look into that, how do you (or anyone) feel about frost DK atm?

Yea people keep telling me shadow priest, I might look into that, how do you (or anyone) feel about frost DK atm?
    They kill stuff pretty fast, with a proc based rotation. On the flipside, their survivability is not that good; they die pretty fast too. Not my cup of tea. But it's just me.

Moonkins are really strong and no major nerfs are comming their way (at least from the looks of it). Ench shamans are really fun to play, you aren't going to top BG dmg charts but they've some strong utility and with top-dogs getting nerfs shamans will become even more viable (especially if disc & rogues will recieve proper help then ench+disc+fera/rogue will be really strong). Dks (unholy specifically) are getting huge quality of live improvements - icy touch (dispell) converting frost runes into death, zero cost for garg etc. (i'm still waiting for pet stun cost reduced to zero).

Overall if you're doing raited BGs then stay away from ench - they aren't bad, but far from good in that pvp setting. So want to play caster - moonkin is real good, melee - dks - they'll get better (althought many dislike controling pet). If you focus on arenas only then ench is pretty good choice. Atm hard to say who'll be FOTM in 5.2 (i'll bet on WW monks though) so stick with playstyle you like.

Frost DKs have a lot of pluses, despite some downsides.
    1. They're one of the easiest classes to learn to play decently, allowing you to improve fast. It also allows you time to focus on situational awareness, rather than rotation/dots etc.
    2. As you've seen, heavily sought after in RBGs, which is fantastic because RBGs give best conquest point caps and honestly I find them more fun than arena.
    3. Going blood is a very viable choice and sought after for RBGs as a flag carrier.
    4. PVE for Frost and Blood is fantastic. Frost is topping meters and Blood is one of the most rewarding tanking styles in the game.

Obviously you have some things to take care off such as kiteability and being a train target, which you can minimize with smart play.

It also helps that Frost is the yardstick for balance, meaning you (probably) won't see major nerfs headed your way for quite a while. If anything it looks like they're improving QOL for Dks (mostly Unholy spec for now, but it may spill over into frost)

I must say I like shadow priest Unless some melee comes my way. Only downside is that it can feel a bit useless when you're out of shadow orbs and have to build up charges again.

Unless you've got weapons waiting for you, I'd stay away from rogue

Oh, and this is only for random bgs.

Apart from that I have no other chars at 90.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    I must say I like shadow priest Unless some melee comes my way. Only downside is that it can feel a bit useless when you're out of shadow orbs and have to build up charges again.

Unless you've got weapons waiting for you, I'd stay away from rogue

Oh, and this is only for random bgs.

Apart from that I have no other chars at 90.
    Yeah everyone seems to love the shadow priests heh

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaldee View Post
    Moonkins are really strong and no major nerfs are comming their way (at least from the looks of it). Ench shamans are really fun to play, you aren't going to top BG dmg charts but they've some strong utility and with top-dogs getting nerfs shamans will become even more viable (especially if disc & rogues will recieve proper help then ench+disc+fera/rogue will be really strong). Dks (unholy specifically) are getting huge quality of live improvements - icy touch (dispell) converting frost runes into death, zero cost for garg etc. (i'm still waiting for pet stun cost reduced to zero).

Overall if you're doing raited BGs then stay away from ench - they aren't bad, but far from good in that pvp setting. So want to play caster - moonkin is real good, melee - dks - they'll get better (althought many dislike controling pet). If you focus on arenas only then ench is pretty good choice. Atm hard to say who'll be FOTM in 5.2 (i'll bet on WW monks though) so stick with playstyle you like.
    I do have a druid lvl 85, I could give him a shot possibly, never tried a boomkin in pvp