Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Guys... you're both potentially right. The issue is that the OP needs to speak up and talk about how he does or does not control blocks of his time.

    In general though Kevyne is more right in that teens don't usually have control over their time and their parents can demand that they quit playing at any moment. While it's cute to argue "WoW isn't srs" the fact is that WoW is the video equivalent of recreational league sports... a raid is like a rec league sports team and the GM is like the team manager. Rec league teams aren't serious either... people are making a choice to invest their play time in YOUR team (guild/raid) and it's disrespectful to not be there. Teens in general can't ensure that they will be there. OP? We don't know. And OP not replying here isn't really a good sign.
    I don't know where you guys are from but where I live teens over the age of 15 generally manage their own time and we have no reason to doubt his attendance unless he mentions anything of the sort. No need to be so negative.

  2. #102
    mfw when I lead the most successful GDKP run auchindoun ever seen when I was 17 for 8 months straight.

  3. #103
    A raid leader, at least in my opinion, should have some more free time than a regular teenager to talk with his officer, to plan raids and such. As a teenager, first of all, you wouldn't have enough time for your guild, you'd have to go to school, do your homeworks, do whatever your parents want you to do, GO OUT WITH YOUR FRIENDS. (no, seriously. If you don't have any, make some.) The second thing, being an underage won't ever allow you to win the other, older guild mates' respect. Your voice, for example, would't be so...thick, as an adult's one. Most of the adults would think you're kidding, and your "so called" guild is a joke.

    etc~

  4. #104
    When I used to play RS, I led ~100-200 people 2-3 times every week. For those who never played it, it was mainly clan vs clan wars. The run ins lasted anything from 1 hour to 2 days long. Insane I know.

    I was 15 to 17 at the time (did it for 3 years), I have quite a deep voice so maybe that helped. I received no criticism as I did my job and I did it well.

    Who cares what your age is; if you got a feel for the game and think you can best whatever is in your way through means of cooordinating your guild members, i dont see whats stopping you.

    Some people will say go out more etc. I didnt go out that often, once a week if that - I'm now at university and have had an amazing social life; if anything the experience has made me a well rounded person. The leadership skills actually helped me in my work place too. I went from a stock runner at a night club to a supervisor in 7 months.

    Do what you want to do, and you wont regret it.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Filed View Post
    When I used to play RS, I led ~100-200 people 2-3 times every week. For those who never played it, it was mainly clan vs clan wars. The run ins lasted anything from 1 hour to 2 days long. Insane I know.

    I was 15 to 17 at the time (did it for 3 years), I have quite a deep voice so maybe that helped. I received no criticism as I did my job and I did it well.

    Who cares what your age is; if you got a feel for the game and think you can best whatever is in your way through means of cooordinating your guild members, i dont see whats stopping you.

    Some people will say go out more etc. I didnt go out that often, once a week if that - I'm now at university and have had an amazing social life; if anything the experience has made me a well rounded person. The leadership skills actually helped me in my work place too. I went from a stock runner at a night club to a supervisor in 7 months.

    Do what you want to do, and you wont regret it.
    I don't know, on my old server, most of the guild masters were requiring you to be over 18, some of them were requiring you a photo of your ID, and your face right next to it so they could make sure you're old enough. Hell, some GM once required me to take a pic of my, uh, penis, to see if I'm a virgin or not. I kindly told him he's fucking nuts and left his guild's forums/ignored him in-game.


    This is a real story, by the way, Stormscale EU.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    So me being a sophomore in high school, my raiding schedule is very late and short in order for me to keep up with IRL stuff and such, SO long story short, I've decided to make and (hopefully) maintain a late night raiding guild, I'm a very firm leader and know my way around raids. I loved raiding last year when my schedule wasn't clumped up and would like to continue doing so. So my questions is: Do you think it would be possible for me to maintain and raid lead my own guild or is my age gonna be a concern to a lot of raiders.
    I've done it myself. I'm 18 now and a freshman in college. I've been raid leading since junior year and manage it just fine. You just need to have the maturity level for it.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Worer View Post
    I don't know, on my old server, most of the guild masters were requiring you to be over 18, some of them were requiring you a photo of your ID, and your face right next to it so they could make sure you're old enough. Hell, some GM once required me to take a pic of my, uh, penis, to see if I'm a virgin or not. I kindly told him he's fucking nuts and left his guild's forums/ignored him in-game.


    This is a real story, by the way, Stormscale EU.
    Certain guilds have certain rules for what they see fit. If you're making a guild why does it matter that you're under 18?

    The photo thing, probably just a perv/pedo - you cant tell if someone is a virgin by looking at their... Yeah...

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Brytryne View Post
    I don't know where you guys are from but where I live teens over the age of 15 generally manage their own time and we have no reason to doubt his attendance unless he mentions anything of the sort. No need to be so negative.
    I'm NOT being negative. I'm raising a potential issue that I've seen happen with teens. AGAIN, whether it's an issue for OP is for them to say but you're being unrealistic by refusing to admit that some teens don't, in fact, control their time. For example, if OP was my kid I'd stop their WoW account cold if their play started hurting their school. On the other hand if they told me they wanted to raid I'd be fine with it, I'd just tell them that if there's a conflict, school will win.

    PS: Really? You know most 15 year olds in Norway? No, you don't. You're assuming.
    Last edited by clevin; 2012-12-23 at 09:50 PM.

  9. #109
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Basking in the Light
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Brytryne View Post
    I don't need to do that at all. That's his responsibility to show his recruits. If he doesn't have time to be a raid leader then they will quickly notice and find another guild. And that is the natural course of things.
    Because you know he doesn't have control of his own time.

    His responsibility is to put himself into the position of another raider and his own life situation. If they conflict, responsibility is suppose to rule over ego.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I'm NOT being negative. I'm raising a potential issue that I've seen happen with teens. AGAIN, whether it's an issue for OP is for them to say but you're being unrealistic by refusing to admit that some teens don't, in fact, control their time. For example, if OP was my kid I'd stop their WoW account cold if their play started hurting their school. On the other hand if they told me they wanted to raid I'd be fine with it, I'd just tell them that if there's a conflict, school will win.

    PS: Really? You know most 15 year olds in Norway? No, you don't. You're assuming.

    I don't deny that an unknown percentage of 18 year olds don't have full control of their own time. I'm just saying if he is up for it, don't tell him he can't do it because your parents were monitoring you when you were that age or whatever other reason you base your assumptions on.
    Of course i don't know most 15 year olds, im twice their age and theres thousands of them.
    It's not even relevant if you know some 18 year olds, you don't know OP and that's ALL that matters in this particular case.
    The question isn't "should 18 year olds in general become guild masters?" If you think it is click on go to page 1 and read from the top.

    Also Kevyne-Shandris no, neither I nor you know if he has control of his time or not.

  11. #111
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    mfw when I lead the most successful GDKP run auchindoun ever seen when I was 17 for 8 months straight.
    Leading a GDKP run and Running a Raid guild are two different things altogether.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Brytryne View Post
    I don't deny that an unknown percentage of 18 year olds don't have full control of their own time. I'm just saying if he is up for it, don't tell him he can't do it because your parents were monitoring you when you were that age or whatever other reason you base your assumptions on.
    You're the one making assumptions. Reread my posts... I didn't make any assumptions at all. I pointed out that in general, a teen's ability to make and keep commitments isn't totally under their control and I've noted a couple of times that this is specific to each teen. You seem to have a reading issue as you keep translating this to mean that I don't feel the OP should start a guild when that's not what I've said.
    Of course i don't know most 15 year olds, im twice their age and theres thousands of them.
    *cough*... to quote... well, YOU... I don't know where you guys are from but where I live teens over the age of 15 generally manage their own time

    Now, you either know this or you don't. Oh wait, you in fact do not know if teens over 15 generally manage their time or not at home. You have no clue.

    It's not even relevant if you know some 18 year olds, you don't know OP and that's ALL that matters in this particular case.
    Which is precisely what I've said all along. The observation is that teens in general aren't in full control of their time. The question to OP is..."Do YOU have the freedom to manage your time? Or will your parents clamp down on WoW time in ways that will affect your guild?"

    You might want to think before you type next time.
    Last edited by clevin; 2012-12-23 at 10:48 PM.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    You might want to think before you type next time.
    Same goes to you. When did I "refuse to admit that some teens don't, in fact, control their time."?
    Please remind me.

    My whole point is don't assume the worst. If you do you won't get anywhere. Some people in here seem to think that's the only way to approach problems.

  14. #114
    Epic! GenaiTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brighton, East Sussex
    Posts
    1,730
    I'm 18 and I've raid lead countless raids, including Lich King heroic and Deathwing heroic back when it was hard.
    Age is irrelevant unless your voice is as high pitched as a girls.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    If I can recall correctly, the GM of WHATEVER WERE AWESOME was quite young when he started his guild & there is always the GM of Team Malice.

    Age doesn't mean anything honestly. As long as you can handle loot decisions and the ability to solve conflicts, you'll be fine.
    How old was ol' Sarky? This is priceless information!
    Omnipotent WCL || Omnipotent Site || Stream: 5-9pm PST Tues/Wed/Thurs || Worst Btag Ever: Slenderman#1355

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post
    I'm 18 and I've raid lead countless raids, including Lich King heroic and Deathwing heroic back when it was hard.
    Age is irrelevant unless your voice is as high pitched as a girls.
    Actually that is irrelevant too as long as he can lead the raid.

  17. #117
    Epic! GenaiTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brighton, East Sussex
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Brytryne View Post
    Actually that is irrelevant too as long as he can lead the raid.
    I think he was more worried about his age and how seriously he'd be taken as opposed to his skills to raid lead.

  18. #118
    Herald of the Titans Mehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The moon
    Posts
    2,905
    Our raid leader (and resident nerd) is 16, people shut up and listen because they know he's better than them (he also sounds like he's 20something which might help a little). Age has nothing to do with how good of a leader you are. How you spent your time does. You say you can't raid with guilds on your realm because you don't have the time? You don't have the time to lead a guild in that case.


  19. #119
    Dreadlord Bumbasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Posts
    959
    I'm not someone who is that ignorant by stating that someone below a certain age isn't capable of leading a raid. I've seen enough 16 years old doing a better job than 30 year olds. Of course it's less common. I was 15 years old myself when i faked an id to join a guild for 18+. They never had a doubt and after a few weeks i told them my true age, noone had a problem with it and everyone was suprised.

    Anyways, your scedual (and in some situations parents) will be the biggest problem. At high school my scedual was quite solid, but now im in university i cant join a raiding guild because im not sure about my daily scedual.
    I wish you the ebst of luck with your guild and dont let your age let you down. Raid leading is a good learning experience.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    So me being a sophomore in high school, my raiding schedule is very late and short in order for me to keep up with IRL stuff and such, SO long story short, I've decided to make and (hopefully) maintain a late night raiding guild, I'm a very firm leader and know my way around raids. I loved raiding last year when my schedule wasn't clumped up and would like to continue doing so. So my questions is: Do you think it would be possible for me to maintain and raid lead my own guild or is my age gonna be a concern to a lot of raiders.
    Don't act like your 12 years old, age isn't a problem as long as your voice isn't to childlike and you can show you can deal with shit. I think as a teen your in the same boat as a girl GM...do not let them walk over you as it could be hard gainining "respect" from elder players.

    It all depends on the attitude of your members really, if they are not complete asses than it should be fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post
    I think he was more worried about his age and how seriously he'd be taken as opposed to his skills to raid lead.
    If he doesn't sound like a 12 year old he should be fine...I would have trouble myself listening to a high pitched voice for 3 hours.
    Last edited by Sarac; 2012-12-24 at 12:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •