Page 1 of 12
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why does Blizzard always contradict the lore; Old Gods?

    Why does Blizzard always contradict the lore? Nothing pisses me off more then Blizzard created new lore to mess up with the old lore. Why can't they just build around? Recently in an interview one of the Blizzard employees stated that the Titans killed several Old Gods on Azeroth; But I thought if they killed an old god, then the whole Azeroth would be annihilated? And wasn't there only 4-5 Old Gods on Azeroth? As you may know already I am a big fan of Old God lore.

    Also, I found this on Wowpedia:

    Krasus speculated that should the Old Gods open the gates of their prison even Sargeras would find himself pleading for the peace of death

    What happened to the Old Gods being a great threat to the Titans? Now from what I saw in the 'new' lore, the Titans are killing the Old Gods like they are nothing.. I hate how they make it seem like the Titans are invincible now, and the Old Gods don't really pose a threat.

    What are your thought on the constant change in lore? I know most of you don't care about lore and just play, but there has to be some lore junkies around here..

    Edit: This is another interesting thing I found regarding the topic and sort of hints the corruption of Sargeras was caused by the actions of an Old God('s): "In the time before time, when the world was still in its infancy, a battle between a Titan and a being of unimaginable evil and power raged on this very soil. The prophecy is unclear about whether or not the Titan was vanquished ... but it illustrates that a Titan fell." - Geologist Larksbane

    Original post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...76811?page=1#0
    Last edited by TheAmazingFeedz; 2012-10-12 at 09:15 PM.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Legendary! KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,553
    What are you talking about?

    The Titans weren't "Killing the Old Gods like they are nothing."

    They killed one Old God, and then decided to imprison the rest of them. Why? Could it possibly be because they saw that Y'Shaarj unleashed the freaking Sha on what would become Pandaria when they killed him?

    Everytime an Old God has escaped, its been an "Oh shit, we need to stop this NOW" moment. You're acting like when C'Thun or Yogg-Saron were "freed" (And we don't even know what "Freed" means here. They could have come back from being imprisoned, but we don't know if C'Thun or Yogg-Saron were anywhere close to their full powers when they were defeated again) that we were just dancing around and would get to them later.

    No, with C'Thun, the Qiraji started invading and we had a month+ long world event to get supplies to simply survive against the attack.

    With Yogg-Saron? We sent an entire army there and the vast majority of it gets wiped out at the gates. The only people who survive to enter Ulduar proper is a small strike team of adventurers (The raiders). And we needed the help of the Watchers, extremely powerful Titan constructs, to even survive engaging Yogg-Saron.

    As for "We can't kill them" it was always pushed forward as the Titans themselves thought this. Blizzard didn't come out as the Word of God and say "Nope, the Old Gods can never die." I still contend that killing Y'Shaarj and seeing that it unleashed the Sha was the reason why they decided not to kill any others.

    I'm not sure what your point about "only being 4-5 Old Gods" means. There have only been 4 confirmed, and thusfar, we know that there are 5.

    C'Thun (defeated)
    Yogg-Saron (defeated)
    N'Zoth
    Y'Shaarj (Killed by the Titans).
    #5
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-10-12 at 08:19 PM.

  3. #3
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,208
    Something has changed at Blizzard.

    There's no plans for a WC4, no need for a WoW2. The Old Gods, the only threat besides Sargeras is suddenly defeated. They are clearly building us up to kill Sargeras very soon, maybe even next expansion.

    What I fear is that what I heard on But Wait There's Lore is true. That Blizzard does intend to end Warcraft, not just the MMO but the whole franchise, with WoW. That they are just going to milk this game until it's become so rejected and hated they can't ever touch Warcraft again.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 03:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    What are you talking about?

    The Titans weren't "Killing the old gods like they are nothing."

    They killed one Old God, and then decided to imprison the rest of them. Why? Could it possibly be because they saw that Y'Shaarj unleashed the freaking Sha on what would become Pandaria when they killed him?

    Everytime an Old God has escaped, its been an "Oh shit, we need to stop this NOW" moment. You're acting like when C'Thun or Yogg-Saron were "freed" (And we don't even know what "Freed" means here. They could have come back from being imprisoned, but we don't know if C'Thun or Yogg-Saron were anywhere close to their full powers when they were defeated again) that we were just dancing around and would get to them later.

    No, with C'Thun, the Qiraji started invading and we had a month+ long world event to get supplies to simply survive against the attack.

    With Yogg-Saron? We sent an entire army there and the vast majority of it gets wiped out at the gates. The only people who survive to enter Ulduar proper is a small strike team of adventurers (The raiders). And we needed the help of the Watchers, extremely powerful Titan constructs, to even survive engaging Yogg-Saron.
    False. New lore from an interview with Kosak (lead quest designer) is that the Titans killed many Old Gods.
    Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

    If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    What are you talking about?

    The Titans weren't "Killing the old gods like they are nothing."

    They killed one Old God, and then decided to imprison the rest of them. Why? Could it possibly be because they saw that Y'Shaarj unleashed the freaking Sha on what would become Pandaria when they killed him?

    Everytime an Old God has escaped, its been an "Oh shit, we need to stop this NOW" moment. You're acting like when C'Thun or Yogg-Saron were "freed" (And we don't even know what "Freed" means here. They could have come back from being imprisoned, but we don't know if C'Thun or Yogg-Saron were anywhere close to their full powers when they were defeated again) that we were just dancing around and would get to them later.

    No, with C'Thun, the Qiraji started invading and we had a month+ long world event to get supplies to simply survive against the attack.
    The OP is right. Dave Kosak(?) stated that there were a lot of Old Gods killed by the Titans:




    It goes without saying that this irked me a lot too. Why can't it just remain consistent. I guess people just wanted Sargeras to be "the very biggest bad" so the strength and danger of Old Gods was toned down. /shrug

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  5. #5
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    The OP is right. Dave Kosak(?) stated that there were a lot of Old Gods killed by the Titans:




    It goes without saying that this irked me a lot too. Why can't it just remain consistent. I guess people just wanted Sargeras to be "the very biggest bad" so the strength and danger of Old Gods was toned down. /shrug
    I advise you guys listen to the whole thing if you want to hear some rather scary and scary true predictions about where the lore is going in the MoP and EXP5.
    Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

    If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.

  6. #6
    Legendary! KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,553
    So, because they changed their mind from 5 Old Gods to "many" that means suddenly the entire Old God lore is destroyed and retconned, ect? Got it.

    Clearly the rest of my post is irrelevant. *facepalm*

    Bitching for the sake of bitching.

    I'd listen to the video, but I honestly cannot stand that guy Pride.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-10-12 at 08:23 PM.

  7. #7
    The Old Gods can also kill a Titan.

  8. #8
    Where is the retcon? Azeroth isn't even the home of the Old Gods, accordingly to the Tribunal lore. The "many" could easily be the lowly-Azerothian Old Gods.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    So, because they changed their mind from 5 Old Gods to "many" that means suddenly the entire Old God lore is destroyed and retconned, ect? Got it.

    Clearly the rest of my post is irrelevant. *facepalm*

    Bitching for the sake of bitching.

    I'd listen to the video, but I honestly cannot stand that guy Pride.
    The main focus was the fact that they depleted the threat of the Old Gods to nothing.. They are not as big or bad or evil as everyone liked them as.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    So, because they changed their mind from 5 Old Gods to "many" that means suddenly the entire Old God lore is destroyed and retconned, ect? Got it.

    Clearly the rest of my post is irrelevant. *facepalm*

    Bitching for the sake of bitching.

    I'd listen to the video, but I honestly cannot stand that guy Pride.
    True, I can't stand any of them; especially the female. But that may be my issue.

    And still -- the biggest issue is that the main thing that made them so scary, which is that they are parasites, is gone. Old Gods were always scary in terms of power, but even more frightening was the fact that they couldn't completely be removed, because they were quite literally rooted into Azeroth itself. Killing an Old God would destroy Azeroth, yadda yadda.

    This is now suddenly not true at all -- and that is what irks me.

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingFeedz View Post
    The main focus was the fact that they depleted the threat of the Old Gods to nothing.. They are not as big or bad or evil as everyone liked them as.
    Or they are expanding the lore that was already in game, with the presence of many other non-Azerothian Old Gods around the Universe.

    It's pretty simple, the 5(?) that were mentioned as usual are the 5 most powerful ones, those that the Titans couldn't kill.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Or they are expanding the lore that was already in game, with the presence of many other non-Azerothian Old Gods around the Universe.

    It's pretty simple, the 5(?) that were mentioned as usual are the 5 most powerful ones, those that the Titans couldn't kill.
    But they did defeat one, and look, nothing destructive happened to Azeroth. It wasn't annihilated at all.

    Edit: There was the Sha, but nothing too spectacular. And the fact they killed several just makes it seem like they are not as powerful as they were said to be; Which made them really interesting because of that aspect.
    Last edited by TheAmazingFeedz; 2012-10-12 at 08:36 PM.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingFeedz View Post
    But they did defeat one, and look, nothing destructive happened to Azeroth. It wasn't annihilated at all.
    They defeated all of them. They "killed" two, C'thun and Y'Shaarj. C'thun survived in a nick of time, Y'Shaarj split into the Sha.

    Yet, they jailed the others. And they spread their parasitical corruption.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 09:39 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingFeedz View Post
    Edit: There was the Sha, but nothing too spectacular. And the fact they killed several just makes it seem like they are not as powerful as they were said to be; Which made them really interesting because of that aspect.
    Again, we don't know nothing about the other Old Gods or the Black Empire, besides the fact that they fought each other (as entities of Chaos would do).
    Last edited by Tauror; 2012-10-12 at 08:42 PM.

  14. #14
    Immortal adam86shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire - England
    Posts
    7,999
    Old God lore is all cheesy anyway... Bloody Lovecraft reference overload.

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral Rustweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,032
    Having Old Gods as 'defeatable' bosses in WoW by mortal beings already invalidates their power because we were able to push back C'Thun without the aid of any Titans and then do the same with Yogg-Saron with Alone in the Darkness. I guess the same could be said for any super-boss though in the game and we're just shoehorned in to finding a way to win with 10 or 25 people where armies of all beings have failed before us...

    ...this is what will make any kind of fight with Sargeras silly without the use of gimmicks...
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Old God lore is all cheesy anyway... Bloody Lovecraft reference overload.
    Now let's not start implying Sargeras is actually a refreshing and not at all cheesy villain.

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    Now let's not start implying Sargeras is actually a refreshing and not at all cheesy villain.
    This.

    Also, the Old God lore junkies outnumber the Titans(Sargeras) by an overwhelming amount. And this is not the people who think "OMG Demons are soo cool" and know nothing about their history.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

  18. #18
    This is actually good imo. I have always thought that what Krasus said was bullshit. Sargeras, the fallen Titan and the ultimate villian of WoW will lose to ancient parasite? wtf was going on Knaack's mind when he wrote that.

  19. #19
    Immortal adam86shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire - England
    Posts
    7,999
    No but atleast he isn't directly named after Lovecraft Old Gods...

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    And still -- the biggest issue is that the main thing that made them so scary, which is that they are parasites, is gone. Old Gods were always scary in terms of power, but even more frightening was the fact that they couldn't completely be removed, because they were quite literally rooted into Azeroth itself. Killing an Old God would destroy Azeroth, yadda yadda.

    This is now suddenly not true at all -- and that is what irks me.
    To be honest, it's never been stated that killing an old god would "destroy the world". The closest you have is the tribunal saying excising them would cause the loss of the host. That is ambiguous at best. All that has been stated is that killing an old god causes problems for the world - as in what happened with Y'shaarj in Pandaria: Killing an old god has never been stated to destroy the planet, only that it's death will scar the world, damage it and cause havoc.

    Killing ALL of them may end up killing the planet but not because "if the old gods die then so does the planet" but because the combined reactions of their deaths will cause too much damage. Killing one or a few merely curses the world.

    Nothing has changed. If anything the only difference is it's now being better explained than it was before.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •