Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I remember watching Kerrang! Scuzz and MTV for years, but they're pretty much dead now.

Nat Geo and animal planet at dead channel vs what it was 10 years ago. now is just series and silly stuff about aincent ailens....omg its so stupid, it might just be fun if your stone to the bone and you look at it from a unserious view.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Music Videos are dead at all. The amount of times I've watched Girls' Generations new MV and I don't even like the song that much!

The medium might be different, I think a lot of people nowadays will watch MVs on youtube rather than watch them on TV but just because the medium changes doesn't mean it's dead. Almost all the top watched videos on YT are MVs.

Something I think is dead, well not dead, but dying. Print media. A lot of older people still get their news from print media but younger people look more to the internet now for news rather than newspapers and magazines. Working in a supermarket I can tell you the amount of magazines we have to rip the covers of and send back to get a refund from the company that sells them is pretty high. Some magazines we only order 2 of per week and each week we rip the covers of both and send them back because they just don't sell. I imagine those particular magazines will not be in print much longer. And also the amount of newspapers I sell to people that look under 30...probably about zero. Bar the rare exception.

Last week we had womens day magazines that came with a free cook book. We had 3 huge stacks of the cook books behind the counter this week just giving them to the staff and such like we always do with the freebies on magazines that don't sell, but the amount of them was insane. I'd estimate a good 30-40 all from this one magazine which is one of the most popular magazines.

EDIT: I'll add we generally order around 60 womens days, not entirely sure how many were ordered this week though. Possibly more with it being Christmas.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-12-25 at 12:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently? Boy bands in the US. We have One Direction running around, but they aren't ours. I think boy bands could easily be revived though in time; the market for them will always exist as long as there's teenage girls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Currently? Boy bands in the US. We have One Direction running around, but they aren't ours. I think boy bands could easily be revived though in time; the market for them will always exist as long as there's teenage girls.
    What about Girl groups?

Girls' Generation are apparently going to promote in the US sometime during 2013. Speculation suggests they'll make a US album sometime after their next Korean album

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    The Science Fiction TV genre. It's either vanished or become reduced to low budget reality rubbish.

My only thought on it is that all of the material has been used up. Space may be infinite, but imagination can have its limits.
    theres still loads of scifi in the uk. its definitely declined alot in america though
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    boombox's.
    vcr's.
    video rental stores. (the one by me is nearly empty almost all the time whereas 3 years ago it was always jam packed full of people and you had to get there early to rent anything decent.)
    crpgs.(its all about the fps genre now. i can name several others but this one stands out to me.)
    the might & magic franchise.(still don't know why ubisoft bought it if they refuse to do anything with it.)
    the history channels educational programming.
    the soul of the gaming industry in general.
    i can think of many others but they escape me at the moment.

oh i miss video rental stores! use to love going to them as a child, we got good friends with the owner of one and he always gave us like 5 videos for a £1, sometimes he gave us new ones before they released propery. all the ones near me shut down, blockbusters is still open, but i dont think it will remain for long. but i do miss video rental stores, was the highlight of my week going there on firdays to pick a movie for the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Lomppa View Post
    Nat Geo and animal planet at dead channel vs what it was 10 years ago. now is just series and silly stuff about aincent ailens....omg its so stupid, it might just be fun if your stone to the bone and you look at it from a unserious view.
    well lets be honest there isnt much interesting "history" happening in this day and age that people dont already know about and theres only so many world war 2 documentaries you can make at some point they had to move into theoretical and unconventional "history"

i can guarantee it brings in more views then world war 2 or the civil war number 528 the untold untold story that you thought you knew
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    The town high street.

Most towns I go to in Britain, the main street is very run down due to lost business because of all the big supermarkets.

too true. a town near where i grew up has 3 tesco supermarkets, a sainsburys 2 co-ops and an asda, its a town of about 70000 people. it basically killed off the local farmers market and butchers street and all the local businesses. its all just chain shops now. tesco basically took over the town, they do provide a lot of jobs though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    What about Girl groups?
    Hmm, well we never really had those to begin with. I think the closest thing we had to that was TLC like 10 years ago or something. We've never had anything like SNSD or any of the groups that are on fire in Korea/Japan. I think they are just different markets, but I don't see why it couldn't work, more just that it probably won't. Boy bands can find success here because teenage girls really get into them. They are pretty much loathed by everyone else.

Girls' Generation are apparently going to promote in the US sometime during 2013. Speculation suggests they'll make a US album sometime after their next Korean album
    Since Gagnam Style miraculously made it on to the radio here, it wouldn't surprise me if they got some face time. I'd actually really like to see K/J Pop/Rock have more play time here since there are some really great groups, but unless a group has a novel (read: irritating) sound like PSY, I don't have high hopes for it's long term success.

I think Girls' Generation does some great stuff, but I have my doubts that anything they do in English will succeed (at least here). Most people here will probably label it as "Engrish" since their command of the language is somewhat poor. Being able to hold a conversation in a language that isn't your first is a respectable feat, but it doesn't mean you'll find commercial success when you start trying to sing it. I'll admit that foreign language music/films/whatever just don't often succeed here. That's not necessarily a good thing, but it's the reality of the situation in the US. I'd love to see that trend reversed, but I don't think K/J music will find much note worthy success outside of the anime subculture that embraces them.

Quite frankly I'd prefer SNSD to stick to Korean; it just sounds a lot better to me. Utada Hikaru made some English albums after massive success in Japan, and they were just awful.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-12-25 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    well lets be honest there isnt much interesting "history" happening in this day and age that people dont already know about and theres only so many world war 2 documentaries you can make at some point they had to move into theoretical and unconventional "history"

i can guarantee it brings in more views then world war 2 or the civil war number 528 the untold untold story that you thought you knew
    Not got much left for that myself, but i mean, we dont need to see how some rednecks work either with wood,fish or trucks. Give us something deeper that actully educate or makes your brain work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliani View Post
    Oh gosh, SO much this. Gone forever are the days when opinion was simply that... something mentioned and done with. Now everything little difference is offensive and the loudest, and often most ignorant, groups expect everyone else to cater to them so they can live without having to see/hear *insert topic*.
    Its called Tolerance is on the decline

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    The town high street.

Most towns I go to in Britain, the main street is very run down due to lost business because of all the big supermarkets.
    Agree this also. A lot of the main stores have taken each over too - bookshops like Ottakars absorbed into Waterstones, which is absorbed by the HMV company, Game taking over Gamestation. I remember having a good few bookshops locally, now only Waterstones, charity shops and a few second hands remain, one old bookshop was replaced by a fairly large Sainsburys :/.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    From common sense. Religion is not necessary for morality. Moral codes are developed through society and common sense. I don't not kill people because god tells me not to; I don't kill me because society and my common sense tells me its wrong.

Humans have a sense of morality developed through evolution. We instinctively have a base moral code that kept us from tearing each other apart and ensured we cared for our tribe in our hunter-gatherer days. Why do you think every civilization developed some moral code and wrapped their religion around it?

Our society has developed to the point where most people can decide between right and wrong without having to resort to religion or government.

I am an atheist, I do not resort to government or Hollywood for my moral code. I simply use my common sense and reason.
    Too bad common sense really is not that common. Trust me on this work with the public and what you think is common sense you find that it really doesn't exist. People used to kill for fun and they had no problem letting their children watch. Society said it was okay. Not a religion. I guess you have a difference sense of common sense and society that they did not have.

I really wish we were born with this common sense, most people are not though. That is why religions did pop up. Because the masses do not have a common sense.

On the theme of the topic. Common Sense is dead
    Last edited by arcticsnow; 2012-12-25 at 02:06 PM.

That bug I just stepped on. Definitely dead.

Its a matter of personal preference.

For me television is dead. I don't have a TV for over 15 years. "stupid reality shows?". I heard people whined about them, but I have no clue what is it all about. I remember from my childhood that there were a lot of advertisements on TV, but now I have addblock in my browser, so I can't be completely sure that advertisements still exist.
    But I can confirm that music video probably still exists, someone send me a link to gangnam style on youtube.
    My first reaction was "damn this is stupid". But then I thought "Damn, MC Hammer was as stupid, but people of my age watched it, danced it and liked it".

For me radio is dead. I have ~300GB of my favourite music split into several playlists and I just listen it on shuffle.
    What happened with the radio for the last 15 years? I guess nothing specific. Modern and old music, stupid jokes. Nothing you can't live without.

The truth is that the world is changing and we are not.
    The older we get the less things we can understand and like. It happened with all generations before us and will happen with our sons and their sons.
    If you call something "degradation" in most cases it means "progress" instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    games that dont have day one dlc's or exclusive platform only dlc or already on disc dlc. good old offline multiplayer gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    I think Girls' Generation does some great stuff, but I have my doubts that anything they do in English will succeed (at least here). Most people here will probably label it as "Engrish" since their command of the language is somewhat poor. Being able to hold a conversation in a language that isn't your first is a respectable feat, but it doesn't mean you'll find commercial success when you start trying to sing it. I'll admit that foreign language music/films/whatever just don't often succeed here. That's not necessarily a good thing, but it's the reality of the situation in the US. I'd love to see that trend reversed, but I don't think K/J music will find much note worthy success outside of the anime subculture that embraces them.

Quite frankly I'd prefer SNSD to stick to Korean; it just sounds a lot better to me. Utada Hikaru made some English albums after massive success in Japan, and they were just awful.
    Well some of them aren't that great, but some are and two of them are native English speakers so I'd expect a full English album (if that's what they're doing, Wonder Girls promoted in America and never released a full English album, just an album with more English on it than normal like this song)

I'd except any song in full English aimed at the US would have Jessica/Tiffany having more lines than the rest. And possibly Seohyun who seems to have mastered pronouncing English before actually speaking it. Here's a good example of each members English skills, a year ago.

(I'd prefer them not to release a full English album too)

elvis presley