Page 2 of 152 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
52
102
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Please someone explain a bit deeper EQ and how it works, I never played either of them. You say that one can expect Eve online kind of gameplay, is it fighting over resources with big battles in the world, possibilities to infiltrate lagre corporations (guilds) and then take everything they got, or lure noob players and take everything they farmed? As in the pvp moments... because it's the idea behind eve that I like (+ it's auction system and skill training system) now in eve you are stuck in a ugly clunky space ship so if this game means making similar kind of big fighting but with cute characters Im in. So.. please, enlighten me =)
    I like planetside2 so if the game will be made for as big battles as there are in that game... it will be great. Now I understand planetside 2 f2p model is healthier than EQ ones so I guess that would be the breaking point for me, if they manage to implement the rest well. So... enlighten me, how was EQ in terms of world dominance and sandbox pvp and what in comparance to eve would we expect in this new version? Also, how punishing was old EQ... or what was the punishment and what can we expect in this new version?
    Your lord is under attack! Your lord is under attack!

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Please someone explain a bit deeper EQ and how it works, I never played either of them. You say that one can expect Eve online kind of gameplay, is it fighting over resources with big battles in the world, possibilities to infiltrate lagre corporations (guilds) and then take everything they got, or lure noob players and take everything they farmed? As in the pvp moments... because it's the idea behind eve that I like (+ it's auction system and skill training system) now in eve you are stuck in a ugly clunky space ship so if this game means making similar kind of big fighting but with cute characters Im in. So.. please, enlighten me =)
    I like planetside2 so if the game will be made for as big battles as there are in that game... it will be great. Now I understand planetside 2 f2p model is healthier than EQ ones so I guess that would be the breaking point for me, if they manage to implement the rest well. So... enlighten me, how was EQ in terms of world dominance and sandbox pvp and what in comparance to eve would we expect in this new version? Also, how punishing was old EQ... or what was the punishment and what can we expect in this new version?
    EQ wasn't sandbox at all but Everquest: Next will be, so noone knows how it's going to work and it's going to be completely different from the previous EQ games.

  3. #23
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    6,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Please someone explain a bit deeper EQ and how it works, I never played either of them. You say that one can expect Eve online kind of gameplay, is it fighting over resources with big battles in the world, possibilities to infiltrate lagre corporations (guilds) and then take everything they got, or lure noob players and take everything they farmed? As in the pvp moments... because it's the idea behind eve that I like (+ it's auction system and skill training system) now in eve you are stuck in a ugly clunky space ship so if this game means making similar kind of big fighting but with cute characters Im in. So.. please, enlighten me =)
    I like planetside2 so if the game will be made for as big battles as there are in that game... it will be great. Now I understand planetside 2 f2p model is healthier than EQ ones so I guess that would be the breaking point for me, if they manage to implement the rest well. So... enlighten me, how was EQ in terms of world dominance and sandbox pvp and what in comparance to eve would we expect in this new version? Also, how punishing was old EQ... or what was the punishment and what can we expect in this new version?
    There's not much information on EQ: Next other than it's a sandbox.
    Old old old old EQ. Well... a lot more punishing than anything out right now (in the same game type, not comparing to EVE). Deleveling is the worse part.
    EQ1 was basically WoW's predecessor.

  4. #24
    Herald of the Titans Naxere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    45.0061° N, 93.1567° W
    Posts
    2,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    There's not much information on EQ: Next other than it's a sandbox.
    Old old old old EQ. Well... a lot more punishing than anything out right now (in the same game type, not comparing to EVE). Deleveling is the worse part.
    EQ1 was basically WoW's predecessor.
    Whenever anyone thinks death penalties nowadays are too stiff, bringing up EQ is always a good time. Multi-hour corpse retrievals in Plane of Fear at 3am when you had to get up for work in 3 hours, XP loss on death (and the possibility of develing if you were at the start of a new level) for starters.

  5. #25
    Few joys were such as giving a newbie a pack of of heavy [unbeknownst to them], useless shit that was like 200/60 encumbrance.

    Nothing gave me greater pleasure than encumbrance in EQ. I savored every moment.

    Delicious.

  6. #26
    Definitely intrigued by the sandbox element. If there are PvP servers and the game is half decent, count me in.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Few joys were such as giving a newbie a pack of of heavy [unbeknownst to them], useless shit that was like 200/60 encumbrance.

    Nothing gave me greater pleasure than encumbrance in EQ. I savored every moment.

    Delicious.
    If EQN has encumbrance and weight limitations, I'm never going to play it. I almost nothing I hate more than that. Almost nothing.

  8. #28
    Herald of the Titans Naxere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    45.0061° N, 93.1567° W
    Posts
    2,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Few joys were such as giving a newbie a pack of of heavy [unbeknownst to them], useless shit that was like 200/60 encumbrance.

    Nothing gave me greater pleasure than encumbrance in EQ. I savored every moment.

    Delicious.
    Using /split on someone with a bunch of copper coins right before they jumped off something was hilarious as well.

  9. #29
    The Patient obake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Please someone explain a bit deeper EQ and how it works, I never played either of them. You say that one can expect Eve online kind of gameplay, is it fighting over resources with big battles in the world, possibilities to infiltrate lagre corporations (guilds) and then take everything they got, or lure noob players and take everything they farmed? As in the pvp moments... because it's the idea behind eve that I like (+ it's auction system and skill training system) now in eve you are stuck in a ugly clunky space ship so if this game means making similar kind of big fighting but with cute characters Im in. So.. please, enlighten me =)
    I like planetside2 so if the game will be made for as big battles as there are in that game... it will be great. Now I understand planetside 2 f2p model is healthier than EQ ones so I guess that would be the breaking point for me, if they manage to implement the rest well. So... enlighten me, how was EQ in terms of world dominance and sandbox pvp and what in comparance to eve would we expect in this new version? Also, how punishing was old EQ... or what was the punishment and what can we expect in this new version?
    In terms of PvP on EQ, all I remember was when you ran with a bard, you were invincible. The most dangerous and fun part of PvPing in EQ was not the actual PvP fighting, but the fact that when you raided an outdoor world boss, a group/guild can come along and gank you mid encounter.

    I really loved the PvE in EQ. Most of the early expansions were very punishing. I remember waking up at very early hours in the morning so our guild could get started farming armor in East ToV. A cleric I knew camped Ragefire for 94 hours to finish his rez stick. I camped one mob for 55 hours over a week's time span for one piece of the Vex Thal key. There were very unforgiving raids. So many great memories. I remember I dozed off in the middle Vex Thal trash and woke up as mobs respawned behind me and I accidentally trained the raid and that ended our raid week because we had no mages setup for CoH. Rathe Council took us 6 hours from the initial pull to the boss death. Uqua was by far the most unforgiving raid I've done in EQ as one person dying in the instance at any time usually caused a chain reaction of deaths due to the add that spawns for every one death. Dying late instance meant your raid was finished until the next reset because the temporary AoE blocking items disappeared. So many raids with unique mechanics is what I enjoyed the most.

    Leveling was very hard and there were hell levels at 51, 55, and 59 I believe where you'd need twice the amount of exp to level (at least it definitely felt like that). Coupled with the fact that it was difficult to find groups, high level zones that were dangerous to reach, loss of exp on death...you had to play carefully.

    I have really high hopes that EQN will bring back the excitement of MMOs like EQ1 did for me.

  10. #30
    Herald of the Titans Naxere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    45.0061° N, 93.1567° W
    Posts
    2,796
    Yeah when I think back on my EQ1 days, some of the things people were able to accomplish seem downright amazing compared to today's stuff. For example, imagine managing a 72 person raid without the use of voice chat, raid markers, any UI mods, etc.

    I hope EQ Next captures that same feeling of epicness that the original EQ did.

  11. #31
    The Patient obake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    261
    Yeah, there were so many events that we did without voice comm and when I think back how much coordination some of those required because the raid was split up and had separate responsibilities, nothing today really compares. I think once Planes of Power introduced instanced raiding, it allowed them to develop more and more complex encounters. The only drawback was it started the decline of outdoor boss racing as anything of real significance became instanced. A shame because racing for world bosses was also another really exciting part of the PvE.

  12. #32
    Lol christmas holiday made my head all relaxed and mushy, I forgot what original EQ was completely even though I do know. Well, I never played it but I know it was the mmo of the lords before wow. I think that if they in the new game try something like you have to walk and search your body for three days if you die many players will instant delete the game and never look back. Spending lots of time on useless things have lost its place in mmos today, unless they ofc do aim for a smaller playerbase like Eve online. Well, no mmo will ever get as big as wow again unless it's something completely original and spectacular.
    The mmo market however is in need of a well working sandbox game, so managed well this game will get it's proper spot on the market. Especially since that archeage game dont seem to hit western market anytime soon and the eve online developers sandbox vampire mmo seem far away from happen as well, both very interesting games but far away from us to ever get to play but then again this EQ game seems to be mostly at pen and paper stage at this point as well.

    This EQ business model do however ring warning bells in my ears. I understand both EQ and EQ2 started by being subfee only, and then EQ2 went f2p and original EQ followed? And at this point they are both very restrictive, but EQ2 is somewhat playable as f2p player while EQ isn't very much and you are also pretty much forced to buy over 9000 EQ expansions?

    I find it hard to believe that the subfee model is going to stay on the market, and I also remember something about Sony going for f2p model only in their future games? Or was it bioware? Well, anyway, I hope it wont be a painfully restricted game, it would be a shame to see. They got a great model for planetside2 and I hope that game is setting the standard on their future games... but we got reason enough to doubt =/
    Your lord is under attack! Your lord is under attack!

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    If EQN has encumbrance and weight limitations, I'm never going to play it. I almost nothing I hate more than that. Almost nothing.
    I am completely aware of your casualbad ways, EdgecrusherO0.

    Don't bring your ruinous casual influences to my EQ.

  14. #34
    The Patient obake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I think that if they in the new game try something like you have to walk and search your body for three days if you die many players will instant delete the game and never look back.
    Funny enough, this indeed happened to one of my friends when he started EQ. He was on a boat and back then it took 30 minutes real time to wait for a boat to come, then some how he fell off and drowned in the middle of the ocean at level 7 and quit the game.

    This EQ business model do however ring warning bells in my ears. I understand both EQ and EQ2 started by being subfee only, and then EQ2 went f2p and original EQ followed? And at this point they are both very restrictive, but EQ2 is somewhat playable as f2p player while EQ isn't very much and you are also pretty much forced to buy over 9000 EQ expansions?

    I find it hard to believe that the subfee model is going to stay on the market, and I also remember something about Sony going for f2p model only in their future games? Or was it bioware? Well, anyway, I hope it wont be a painfully restricted game, it would be a shame to see. They got a great model for planetside2 and I hope that game is setting the standard on their future games... but we got reason enough to doubt =/
    I can't speak for EQ2 as I only played that when it was pay to play, but even then I didn't like it too much. I guess the whole reason EQ went free to play was to try and attract new people because the game is very old and the servers are kind of dead. EQ in it's pure f2p state is not playable at the max level...well, it is but you are in fact more of a detriment to a group with your limitations on your character because you don't have the spell ranks or AA to do anything that a standard player would be able to.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Kinda expect that EQN is going to have a Diablo 3 effect. In that people that have no business talking or playing EQN are going to be picking up the game. No doubt I will be infuriated by these bandwagoners.

    I am quite excited as a longtime EQ player for a series reboot. Though I kinda just want EQ1: The sequel that is not Everquest 2. And it seem like Smed is not really going to give me that-- sorta annoying.
    So you are literally saying "If you're interested about this game, GTFO! Only elite here, no scrubs"?

    Please stay in WoW.. stop ruining any chance of a good community in MMO's..

    This looks interesting, love sandbox MMO's

  16. #36
    Bloodsail Admiral rashen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am completely aware of your casualbad ways, EdgecrusherO0.

    Don't bring your ruinous casual influences to my EQ.
    Well, to be honest they will have to cut back on some things to be successful, having things like deleveling and a more severe death penalty and having to spend hours running around looking for your corpse wont be very successful in the current MMO market.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    So you are literally saying "If you're interested about this game, GTFO! Only elite here, no scrubs"?

    Please stay in WoW.. stop ruining any chance of a good community in MMO's..

    This looks interesting, love sandbox MMO's
    You're in for a surprise : P

  18. #38
    Got used to WoW, GW2, LoL and other F2P crap.. can handle a lot, that pathetic bigotry of the poster I quoted? humor, pissing of such people in a game? Makes my day.

    In the meanwhile, the real players will enjoy the game and have fun, and not have heart issues because other people are playing "their" game

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    So you are literally saying "If you're interested about this game, GTFO! Only elite here, no scrubs"?

    Please stay in WoW.. stop ruining any chance of a good community in MMO's..

    This looks interesting, love sandbox MMO's
    I agree with Fencers in that people that have zero interest in the EQ series or sandbox mmorpg will buy it and then bitch endlessly that it's not a themepark mmo like wow.

    I hope SoE really targets the niche audience and let's this game grow organically and not go after the big bucks like swtor did and ruin a good idea by listening to the never satisfied masses.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    So you are literally saying "If you're interested about this game, GTFO! Only elite here, no scrubs"?

    Please stay in WoW.. stop ruining any chance of a good community in MMO's..
    How dare you.

    I would never play WoW.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •