Shortly describe basic "must have" features for your perfect video game. I'm not talking about games that last for a few hours, but games you would play longer than WoW or even more.
Here are a few of my very basic needs a game should have:
- online game (MMO preferred, connected servers)
- game account (progression saved to account and accessible anywhere you log in)
- protected against cheating (no save game edits, no trainers, bot protection,...)
- detailed character creation (sliders, but protected against extreme creations)
- economy (Auction House, trading, stuff storage...)
- content/gameplay/gametype (So far I can think of 4 game types I would play. Medieval/fantasy(WoW type), Medieval/realistic(Chivalry type mmo), Space related(Star Citizen type) and Modern life style(gta mmo type) game. 3rd person view is required while 1st person maybe in some special cases, but not as main view and not without 3rd person option.
- possible to make money out of game (I think this is the key and future. Look at "sandbox", "economy" and conclusion text)
- sandbox (I want to be creative, make stuff in game and change the world, build stuff, dig holes, plant trees...)
- housing (to own property, decorate it, visible to others E.g.: city apartment)
- true professions (not just click button and you make stuff, but an actual production process, from learning to making)
After all what I want is that once I quit after years of having fun playing the game (because no game can be fun forever), I don't want to feel like it was waste of time (one of solutions would be to make it possible to make money out of it is important part to even start playing such large mmo, for example Steam workshop is on the right way towards such goal).
Maybe some Game Designer finds this thread helpful, so lets fully express our futuristic wishes!