Would be a cool if EQN had rain and the water could pool and end up forming ponds or even lakes. Not sure if water physics for games are quite there yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf Lord View Post
    Would be a cool if EQN had rain and the water could pool and end up forming ponds or even lakes. Not sure if water physics for games are quite there yet though.
    They could program it to incrementally have more water and wouldn't need to tie it into the actual rain. It wouldn't be too hard (since we already have games with dynamic content) to have a dry ditch to form a pond and then have wild animals come to the edge to drink, which you can then slay, etc.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I'm up in the air over 24h vs hourly cycles, but I'm completely certain that not having a cycle of any kind makes me very upset. Games like LotRO and FFXIV both have rapidly changing cycles and I enjoy it fully in those games, but I very much enjoyed the classic 24h pre change WoW cycles.

I just know that having no cycles is lame. No weather is also pretty lame at this point. It's 2013. A game should have night and rain sometimes.
    I agree. No weather is rather lame. About as lame as it being daylight nonstop (like in wow, pretty much). Best thing I love about Lotro is the rain (even though if it rains in one part of Middle Earth it rains in it all, except for Isengard and Rohan, which seem to have their own weather patterns. It greatly improves the immersion, and makes me jones for some RPing. Warcraft doesn't have it, as it will rain in Elwynn but be clear in Stormwind. But if it is raining in Mulgore it will rain in Thunderbluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am okay with contested content if it is done well. As in the zones need to be suitable large, challenging and there really needs to be a sense that SOMETHING is at stake other than first tag on the mob.

Part of the reason why contested content worked in EQ, DAOC, UO and the like was that the game(s) world was dangerous as all hell. You couldn't see a goddamn thing in some zones- it was pitch black. There were zones that had trap doors, you could drown if you carried too much stuff with you while swimming, you had to EAT, you had to make camp, etc. And all of it was balanced against the idea that if you failed you lost something that was valuable in and out of the game.

That's the thing that made old school MMOs tick- stuff mattered.
    This post wraps up what I want to see in an MMO in some fashion.

I don't think the whole game should be like this, but there should be a section of the map dedicated to this type of play, for all level ranges. There should be a solo path questing, killing, instanced content. But I'd like to see extremely dangerous areas where without a group you are destined to fail. It would have traditional camps with random spawns and PH's, no leashing. Add in new level scaling technology and you have some extremely fun small group content.

New screenshots from Dave Georgeson via massively

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/10...possibilities/

that fort in 4 hours god i can't wait for this game!!!

Yesterday's EQN Round Table Livestream is now available to watch on YouTube.

Basically, the devs talked a lot about their general philosophy with the EQN Round Table and how it is evolving as they see how it works. It's a little long at 45 minutes, but I found the conversation to be pretty interesting.

“All statements within these quotation marks are untrue.”

I'm being cautiously optimistic about this game, and in a general sense, too. I don't know if it'll be able to compete in the raiding scene just yet, as it's far, far too early to tell. A man can dream, though... EverQuest was my first love. Memories...

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/19/ever...n-all-regions/ The euro peeps won't have to go through Prosieben to play EQNL. I remember some people complaining about that. Doesn't say anything about EQN though.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-10-20 at 05:05 AM.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/19/ever...n-all-regions/ The euro peeps won't have to go through Prosieben to play EQNL. I remember some people complaining about that. Doesn't say anything about EQN though.
    PSS1 is fucking abysmal. I'm glad that they're not sticking with them for EQN, as it's really been a shitty deal for the EU folks in SoE's other games.

https://www.everquestnext.com/beta-registration

it's open ...
    For European gamers who don't want to deal with proSieben Sat1 - create a Station Account on https://www.soe.com/ and use that one to apply.
    Works fine for me, I have two accounts for PS2 and DCUO (you can still play on the european servers here, just download the US client and choose the Euro-Servers in the launcher) and I never had to deal with PSS1.

I really really want to see EQ Next succeed. That being said the promises being made the hype that the develops seem to profligate seem to be taking on a very Peter Molyneux feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimmy View Post
    Yesterday's EQN Round Table Livestream is now available to watch on YouTube.

Basically, the devs talked a lot about their general philosophy with the EQN Round Table and how it is evolving as they see how it works. It's a little long at 45 minutes, but I found the conversation to be pretty interesting.

They had a round table that talks about why they have a round table.

Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    They had a round table that talks about why they have a round table.
    Not for everyone, of course. If you're someone like me who is interested in the development process and how companies are engaging their customers in the modern marketplace, it's pretty interesting. They also spoke about the best channels to use in order to get your suggestions heard by the team.

Most people are probably going to just look at it and say "OMG no new info!" While I understand that frustration, the discussion they had was pretty useful if you really want to help contribute in some way to the development process they seem to be undertaking.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, new Round Table poll up today is sort of cool:

"How much should the world of EQ Next change based on time of day?"

All the people I've seen in this thread who want a game where things are challenging and consequences matter should go vote!

... For the night is dark and full of terrors

“All statements within these quotation marks are untrue.”

Most people are probably going to just look at it and say "OMG no new info!"
    Most people will look at it like a redundancy, which it is. Likely a necessary redundancy, but just look at how it sounds:

We're having a meeting about why we have meetings. I would claw my eyes out. In this case, yes it actually serves to explain tenets of design or a fundamental philosophy important to the future, but it just sounds really, really stupid.
    BAD WOLF

So long as they have a decent day/night cycle, and not the 24 hour cycle that WoW has. Something along the lines of Lotro or GW2 day/night cycle (2 day, 2 night or some such) would be fine.

... For the night is dark and full of terrors
    I was just talking to my firefall squad last night about how much I miss the OLD night cycle...

The one where you couldn't see anything except where you flash light was shown...

Where all you hear was the chittering of aranahas before you were ripped apart. O_O

But yeah. The night should be dark and full of terrors. I am glad that is leading the poll by a lot.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

Thank god, hope they stick with that for retail as well.

Edit: But they probably won't stick with it, just noticed the email said the following:
    "If you live in one of the countries listed below, you are only applying for the EverQuest Next Landmark Beta program. In order to apply for the EverQuest Next Beta program, you will also need to apply via ProSieben.Sat1 Games."
    Which probably means SoE is just handling the beta but PSS1 will still get it at retail.
    Last edited by Ighox; 2013-10-23 at 08:37 PM.

Yus. Make the night dangerous. And I want giant spiders to come out and eat people! Sometimes they get cocky and attack towns, and if you fail to protect the town it becomes a big, webby nest for spiders and the citizens are consumed!!!!!

Dangerous night please. Pleaasseeee. It'd be funny as hell, in some sort of awkward sadistic way.

If world PVP is in the game, I'm gonna have some fun being a night hunter.