Page 6 of 173 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I can't wait for more info on EQ Next. As a huge EQ player back in the day I truely miss so many aspects of that game. Some of things I would really like to see come back to MMO gaming (which probably won't seeing that WoW has now babyfied the majority of the playerbase):

XP loss on death - Yea it sucked but it made you think rather then just zerg mobs and not fear dying.

GRINDING - Yup I said it. On my server back then everyone knew who the baddies were because you had to lvl with groups. There was no solo questing to max lvl then having your hand held giving you epics. I made so many friends back then that I still talk to even now!

No flying mounts/quick travel - Convient yea, if they want to put it in fine put it like it was for planes of power, teleports to major citys on different sides of the world.

World Bosses - Wow is starting to put them in but in no way like EQ did. I remember having like 10 rangers strategically placed for tracking every day. Logging on every day not knowing where or what I was doing and throwing raids together in a matter of mins.

I want some of the original back with updated graphics engine, content, and new things added! I know people will disagree and it's your preference as it is mine and to the people that hate saying the forced grouping was bad ... how far did you actually make it? Cuz I know many that didnt pass 30 cuz they sucked at their class and no group would take them. I do NOT want a wow 2.0 clone that babies the playerbase handing them everything. I took alot of pride working for the things I had in EQ, in wow lol I don't even care

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enitzu View Post

GRINDING - Yup I said it. On my server back then everyone knew who the baddies were because you had to lvl with groups. There was no solo questing to max lvl then having your hand held giving you epics. I made so many friends back then that I still talk to even now!
    As annoying as it was at times, this is the main thing I miss the most. I still remember how happy I was when we got a good group together and it turned out everyone had all day to play. Grinding camps for hours. Oh man the memories.

The only friends I ever made in a mmo that I still keep in touch with today were friends I made during grinding. All the other people I have met in the past 10 years playing WoW and other games are long gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dergrim View Post
    As annoying as it was at times, this is the main thing I miss the most. I still remember how happy I was when we got a good group together and it turned out everyone had all day to play. Grinding camps for hours. Oh man the memories.

The only friends I ever made in a mmo that I still keep in touch with today were friends I made during grinding. All the other people I have met in the past 10 years playing WoW and other games are long gone.
    Yeah I still keep in touch with a handful of friends I met playing UO and EQ. I can't say that about any other MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved not having to be 60 to raid. Raid while not max level would blow peoples minds!
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

You didn't have to level with groups, that was only if you were a group dependent class (Warrior, Cleric etc.). Many of the casters could solo level, as well as some of the hybrids, and melee. Most of the people needing groups were purebred classes.

There was quick travel. Plenty of port locations between Druids and Wizards to get around the world fast. Sure you'd have to tip maybe 10-15 plat, but that's chump change to people who were any good at the game.

XP loss sucked for sure, but once you got your arsenal of abilities/spells dying was more rare than at the start. Plus eventually you could just get resurrected and have most of your XP loss recovered (up to 95% I think it was).

World Bosses were fun back then, but mostly because a lot of people respected each other then. If you add world bosses all over the place in today's games there would be a lot of poopsocking going on. Hell even on that Project 1999 emulated EQ server the raids are poopsocked often.

EverQuest was pretty complex for the time it came out, and would still be fairly complex today, but I hate when people make it out to be the hardest most hardcore game ever. It wasn't that tough if you knew the ins and outs, but many people didn't because information wasn't shared so well on the internet back then, so a lot of people didn't know much about the game. I recently started playing on that Project 1999 server and a lot of the magic of EverQuest was gone for me because I am knowledgeable about MMOs nowadays. It's way easier than back when I thought it was moderately easy.

I would very much like to play a more modern version of original EverQuest. EverQuest 2 was a disappointment, I'm hoping they take risks with EverQuest Next and not contribute the same stale MMO formats we've been subjected to for the past decade since WoW started.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    SOE is slowly earning my trust back. I played the original Everquest for 5-6 years, played a ton of Planetside, but I was really disappointed by Everquest 2 compared to World of Warcraft and they lost me to Blizzard. I'm actually excited for Everquest Next though now that my WoW days are finally over (Mists was the nail in the coffin).
    This, sans the done playing WoW part. I still play because it's really the best raiding MMO out, but I'm hoping EQN changes that.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Yeah I still keep in touch with a handful of friends I met playing UO and EQ. I can't say that about any other MMO.
    My EQ guild is still together and has played a dozen other MMOs, although they stopped playing WoW, I feel we will be getting rather chummy again soon =D

Get ready to fill your cups if he's serious about what he says at the end...

If so its gonna be a gooooood Christmas.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...p#.UQNnc0wo7Fo

He also said Planetside 2 would be ready by March 2011. I don't put much stock into anything Smedley says about release dates anymore..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMetatron View Post
    This, sans the done playing WoW part. I still play because it's really the best raiding MMO out, but I'm hoping EQN changes that.
    You should look into rift for that, it is equal to WoW and have some hard raids if you are a pve guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Markov41 View Post
    He also said Planetside 2 would be ready by March 2011. I don't put much stock into anything Smedley says about release dates anymore..
    Hey at this point I would love to hear ANY sort of official news on this game. If there is some sort of release happening at the end of this year that means we should get some official news by mid year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyrock View Post
    Hey at this point I would love to hear ANY sort of official news on this game. If there is some sort of release happening at the end of this year that means we should get some official news by mid year.
    Yes actually. Smed has stated that at Fan Faire 2013 (SOE's "Blizzcon") people will be able to play EQnext; so Fan Faire should be in October again this year, so I would expect some solid info on EQN possibly in a couple months, maybe at E3.

I have played EQ1 and Eve for at least 3 years each, with some WoW sprinkled in, too. I left EQ1 to try Eve because I thought that CCP made some big improvements over the problems that I felt EQ1 had. After 3 years of Eve, I found out what I wanted to know -- CCP doesn't have all the answers either. If Sony's sandbox doesn't fix those problems, I won't be playing it.

The wide-open market? Crippled by constant baby-sitting of sell orders and bumping $.01 isk just because a buyer is locked into buying the least expensive order on the market, rather than the order that meets their needs. Lots harder to track down buyers and funnel them through the contract system, especially when corruption and scams abound.

ship bumping - physics engine is most unnatural. CCP needs to take a clue from wargaming's WoT and let the heavies and supers SPLATCRUSH any little tackler that tries to bounce them off their warp departure pattern. Just ludicrous.

cloaked AFK reds in system shutting down almost all industrial activity -- gotta have a way to root them out and prevent easy-mode griefing.

ship stealing - no frickin way that any non-virtual space industrialists are going to build behemoth ships when security systems aren't available to protect the bridge from interlopers, especially when you can't dock said ship. just silly.

game fixes that make things worse -- changing t2 recipes to make tech moons a silly bottleneck rather than Dysp/Prom moon bottleneck aka "lets just change the problem rather than fix it" The obvious route here is to make t2 obsolete to make the problems trivial, rather than change the way t2 is built (and not fix it one bit).

developers playing the game in the same sandbox: I started right as the t20 scandal was breaking. I could not (and still don't) see how any bigwig at CCP can't see the obvious conflict-of-interest. It baffles me (even when somewhat ingocnito) that devs still play on the game server (Singularity?). When the Reikoku boss admitted much later to having CCP dev friends on MSN, the smoking gun was obvious. Another d-bag who didn't care about the conflict-of-interest and tried to rationalize it away.

There are more, but these are at or near the top of my list of head-shakers when it comes to Eve and "sandboxes".

I think EQN really has to have a deep and engaging crafting system. You have to be able to set yourself apart with what you can do (but still require groups of talented artisans that can accomplish an entire project/item) where not anyone with 300+ skill or greater across the board can make any item in the game.

The same should be with skills (if they go the eve route) -- there should be value in spending a year or 2 of training for jump drive calibration level 15 so that you can get your colonization fleet deeper into the sandbox than any other corp or alliance (which also implies bottlenecks of distance where there is one possible looooong jump to get to a new area). Explorer ships would have to depart ahead of the fleet to travel between stars without jump gates or cyno portals to establish jump beacon cynos to get the fleet in. Then, gates would have to be built by the colony as they develop their corner of space. Unless enemies know where they went, how can they know how to get to them to grief them? WHy wouldn't star gates require security protocols that would let allies use them and make invasion fleets do it the hard way (if they know where to go).

Basically, I don't think CCP made a true sandbox -- they made a game where the game mechanics forced us into the type of gameplay that Eve wanted to promote -- a wild west, anything goes genre as a marketing ploy. They needed players, income and distinction regardless of how a situation like Eve would truly evolve. There is no way that sovereigns and huge corporations would allow the lawlessness that pervades Eve to continue unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by Swen View Post
    Basically, I don't think CCP made a true sandbox
    While you have some semi valid complaints, most of them are asking for hand holding or restrictions going against a sandbox design where anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Swen View Post
    When the Reikoku boss admitted much later to having CCP dev friends on MSN, the smoking gun was obvious. Another d-bag who didn't care about the conflict-of-interest and tried to rationalize it away.
    Being in Reikoku and having devs on MSN as well I can tell you it's not all you think it is, not to mention that they are people to, that have friends in real life. Or are you suggesting they shouldn't be allowed to have friends that play the game nor meet up with any players in real life?

While T20 fucked up royally I can honestly say it hurt us as a corp and alliance more than anyone else as we didn't ask for what he did nor wanted that kind of "help".

Wow, that's pretty damn bold essentially saying the game will be ready this year. BUT WILL YOU DELIVER SMEDLEY?!? Especially considering they keep starting from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    You had me at "largest sandbox MMO ever"

But seriously, I've never wanted anything more than for this game to actually turn out good.

dafuq?

Simply put, that will destroy the game, and along with it any lingering loyalty of us EQ vets. "Easy for players" and "EverQuest" don't belong in the same sentence.

The way MMOs have gone the past decade, entering a world where I can become encumbered, hungry/thirsty because I have no food/drink, lose experience on death, and have no maps as I explore dangerous zones would ironically be a huge fucking breath of fresh air right now.
    I'm in complete agreement. I hope it's really it's own thing, and I hope it's quite polarizing, because that means they're doing something very right.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    If EQN has encumbrance and weight limitations, I'm never going to play it. I almost nothing I hate more than that. Almost nothing.
    Look at encumbrance as bag space, turned into a meter.

I'll never understand how being forced to make decisions to work around limitations is viewed as a bad thing by players.

With how much SOE has stepped up with PlanetSide 2, I feel confident that I may be switching from WoW to EverQuest Next, especially since I will hopefully be able to play a proper necromancer.

I am very excited about Everquest Next. Here is to hoping it can carry on the proud legacy of the original Everquest by defining and leading the MMO genre heading forward. I know that is a tall order to fill, but I do not think it is impossible for SOE, they have a lot of talent working there.

Until we h ave more information about this game, the best we can do is hope. I wanted to echo some of the sentiments put forth by many others here, we need the MMO genre to take a step back in order to take a step forward.

-XP death penalty: lets make the game scary again, lets make players second guess whether or not they want to go deeper into a dungeon.

-Limited instant travel: lets have specialized teleports only like wizards and druids, and only to certain locations, no PoK books, no getting around the world in 30 seconds. Lets have the world mean something again.

-No flying mounts that put you completely out of danger. I want to be immersed in the world, not flying above it.

-No instances, especially for dungeons, please no damn instances. Instanced dungeons really ruined the experience for me and I have not been able to find the EQ experience since. I loved running into other groups in dungeons. Fighting deep into a dangerous dungeon to res some poor soul.

-Yes to training mobs that are not leash bound to a radius. I want mobs to chase me until I zone. I also want mobs to agro any nearby players they run past.

-No group finders at all. We need to be forced to use our nature group finder... socializing. I want a large social aspect to the game so that getting to know people in game matters.

Here is to hoping that EQN delivers, it could be a bright MMO future if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Thessik-Irontail View Post
    I am very excited about Everquest Next. Here is to hoping it can carry on the proud legacy of the original Everquest by defining and leading the MMO genre heading forward. I know that is a tall order to fill, but I do not think it is impossible for SOE, they have a lot of talent working there.

Until we h ave more information about this game, the best we can do is hope. I wanted to echo some of the sentiments put forth by many others here, we need the MMO genre to take a step back in order to take a step forward.

-XP death penalty: lets make the game scary again, lets make players second guess whether or not they want to go deeper into a dungeon.

-Limited instant travel: lets have specialized teleports only like wizards and druids, and only to certain locations, no PoK books, no getting around the world in 30 seconds. Lets have the world mean something again.

-No flying mounts that put you completely out of danger. I want to be immersed in the world, not flying above it.

-No instances, especially for dungeons, please no damn instances. Instanced dungeons really ruined the experience for me and I have not been able to find the EQ experience since. I loved running into other groups in dungeons. Fighting deep into a dangerous dungeon to res some poor soul.

-Yes to training mobs that are not leash bound to a radius. I want mobs to chase me until I zone. I also want mobs to agro any nearby players they run past.

-No group finders at all. We need to be forced to use our nature group finder... socializing. I want a large social aspect to the game so that getting to know people in game matters.

Here is to hoping that EQN delivers, it could be a bright MMO future if so.
    If they keep these ideals, and bring the promise of the largest sandbox world ever, this game will automatically have me on board. Even then, I will likely be hopping over from WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thessik Hit it on the head.

(Also: PLEASE GIVE ME AN EQ2 RANGER CLASS!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    John Smedley (@j_smedley) just sent this tweet:

we are VERY excited about the Playstation 4. Read into that what you will
    Is he trying to hint that EQN will also be on PS4?