Question about RAM above 1600 and timing

So I'm looking to buy a new computer and I'm looking at the RAM for it. I want to get really fast RAM but I'm not sure how to set it up for when I actually buy it. I'm looking at RAM that's above 1600 and everything for the motherboard says OC. So I'm wondering if that means that I'll have to go into the BIOS and manually set up the MoBo for the RAM and if anyone would let me know if that's how you do set it up for faster than 1600 RAM, please let me know as well as what I have to set up, such as voltage and speeds.

The other question is about RAM timing. I don't know what's considered good timing or bad timing for RAM. What's optimal and how should I be looking at the numbers. I'm also wondering if some timings for RAM are basically lemon timings or if they truly matter. I'm assuming lower means better, but again I have no clue for timing as I've never gone to school for computers.

Any and all help on the two topics would be much appreciated.

Ed: Side note here, I'm getting dual channel RAM, 2x8gb sticks.

These tables bar our way.. ┬──┬ ┬──┬

But the will of a templar is stronger! ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    ram speeds above 1600 are usually for AMD cpu's and barely make any change for intel chips.
    speeds above 1600 only make overclocking the CPU a PITA you don't want imo. (speaking from intel perspective)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    ram speeds above 1600 are usually for AMD cpu's and barely make any change for intel chips.
    speeds above 1600 only make overclocking the CPU a PITA you don't want imo. (speaking from intel perspective)
    What about for the timing? The RAM I'm looking at is 9-9-9-24. Would that be good or should I find better?

These tables bar our way.. ┬──┬ ┬──┬

But the will of a templar is stronger! ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    What about for the timing? The RAM I'm looking at is 9-9-9-24. Would that be good or should I find better?
    been a while since i did read up on ram but iirc CAS latency of 10 or lower should work fine for gaming. (slower ones are only minor performance loss from what i've heard)

Timings have honestly become a thing of the past and make minimal improvements. I would honestly just aim for DDR3 1600 with 8-8-8 or 9-9-9 timings and a tRAS(the last number usually listed in the specs) with a 24 or lower.