Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Herald of the Titans Hargalaten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,585

    Question Friends disliking your type of girl/guy

    Not that it really matters in the end but opinions always come without asking!
    Did one of your friends or maybe a family member ever dislike the type of girl or guy you are attracted to based on looks or personality?
    Like lets say you like very overweight white girls with short hair and freckles, Did they make sure to tell you what they thought?
    About how not sexy that was and not understanding your taste? And did/does it affect you?

    Some people care a lot what people around them think, Not that they would break up like 1,2,3 because their friend mark said she was ugly!
    But it might affect their view about her. were you ever put in such a situation or do you maybe do it yourself?
    Your good friend is dating a black girl wich is totally not your taste in the slightest do you say anything? Or are you the kind of person that thinks, Whatever makes him happy, Makes him happy, Not my problem.

    I've been asked why i found certain types attractive but it didn't bother me, i choose whoever i like and what another person thinks isn't really my problem.

    What about you?

    When you look long enough, Diglett's nose turns into a mouth with 1 tooth!

  2. #2
    The only time I recall doing this to a friend was when she was dating this guy with a small head, tiny beetle like eyes, and huge nose,lips, and ears. I often referred to him as a deformed monkey. I just couldn't fathom how she could be so attracted to this guy.
    (should probably say he was an ass and constantly cheating on her, but she refused to believe it which was why I was so open about making fun of his looks)

    A lot of my friends don't understand my taste in men. I don't like big buff guys. Too many muscles are just nasty to me. I don't like twigs though. Somewhere in between. But they all make fun of me for not being attracted to six-packs blah blah blah.
    Last edited by Jaklina; 2012-12-24 at 04:05 AM.

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans Ihnasir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,531
    I never have any issues with looks, it's shallow. However, my best friend is dating a girl with the personality of a rock, and she hates his friends (including me). In fact, she once cried hysterically and fell asleep just so he wouldn't leave to come over.

  4. #4
    Moderator d3v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    East Flanders, Belgium
    Posts
    4,722
    One of my friends has made it his job to always share his opinion on my ex-girlfriends (when I dated them), I told him bluntly that I respect he has an opinion but that it doesn't mean he needs to tell me it each time, as it is my choice who I have a relationship with. He makes it his extra special duty to then tell me again after the relationship is over... which is an added annoyance -_-

    My parents respect my choices but after my last relationship they did express their opinions and show me that I might have been looking through rose tinted glasses a bit, so to speak. That I don't mind, as at the end of the day, love can make you blind to certain things. I have the utmost respect for my Parents because they know when and when not to express their opinions, and respect any choice I make and are 100% there for me.

  5. #5
    My friend has gone out with a lot of ugly or big women, I usually pick on him when he dates big girls just because that's what friends do and he understands that I'm just joking around and not being serious. I'll tell him straight up if I don't like his girlfriend's personality but I will never tell him that his girlfriend is ugly because I know that it will offend him and that's a line I'd rather not cross since we've been best friends for over 8 years now. And it's basically the same way with him about my girlfriends.

  6. #6
    My husband's mother is like that. She's a bleached blonde and cakes on the makeup way to much. When we started dating she made it very clear to both of us that she was going to try and turn me into her shadow, and now makes it very clear that she doesn't approve of me because I didn't follow her orders!

    As for friends, we've both had it great. His friends are very supportive, and so are mine. I guess we know how to pick them lol.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Not that it really matters in the end but opinions always come without asking!
    Did one of your friends or maybe a family member ever dislike the type of girl or guy you are attracted to based on looks or personality?
    Like lets say you like very overweight white girls with short hair and freckles, Did they make sure to tell you what they thought?
    About how not sexy that was and not understanding your taste? And did/does it affect you?

    Some people care a lot what people around them think, Not that they would break up like 1,2,3 because their friend mark said she was ugly!
    But it might affect their view about her. were you ever put in such a situation or do you maybe do it yourself?
    Your good friend is dating a black girl wich is totally not your taste in the slightest do you say anything? Or are you the kind of person that thinks, Whatever makes him happy, Makes him happy, Not my problem.

    I've been asked why i found certain types attractive but it didn't bother me, i choose whoever i like and what another person thinks isn't really my problem.

    What about you?
    I don't know what kind of friends you keep, but mine don't do that, unless i'm being retarded in my choise. They might disagree with me in how perfect they are, and tell me after it has ended, but not during it.
    Haven't been look though, since i don't have shallow people as friends.. or i'm too shallow to have somebody to dislike on that account. >.>

    I've told one friend that she should didn't pick right, and that i really didn't like the one she was with in any way, but that was an extreme case, and the person was completely bullock retarded in any way. By far one of the worst persons i've met in my life, which does really say something. I knew the person before she did, and nothing has changed in my oppinion later on. Only improved my dislike.
    Some people are just so bad that your friends deserve to know, but to judge them on look is just stupid.

    Doesn't really sound like it's the case for you though.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

  8. #8
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    21,087
    Sod them, some say my BF can do better than me , others say I can do better than him. Been together 8 years now, better than many nowadays.

  9. #9
    The Patient LegendaryDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    222
    Yeah, i got that with my best buddy. While we are both looking for the same kind of personality, what we find visually attractive could not be more different. We often can't understand why the other one likes the kind of girls he likes, but in the end, it does not fucking matter. We share opinions on a womans look, but we allways respected and liked the other ones girlfriend

  10. #10
    Pit Lord tommypilgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,258
    One of my friends is attracted to tarts. Mucky tarts. I, along with many of his other friends, mocked him relentlessly for this, and I completely stand by my decision.
    Did you like the above post? How about sending me a dollar? I'd have adverts here but apparently that'd break ToS.

  11. #11
    I am Murloc! Tiili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,404
    Well, not often. Most of my BFs have been guys that have been in my friend circle some time, friends with most of them today aswell, not too many bad breakups except my last ex. Don't really think(Or, atleast hope) people would want to be talking bad about someone they've spent a lot of time with and who has helped them, whom they have been a long time friend of.
    Close your eyes and smile.
    [15:53] <PizzaSHARK> you have such a cute accent! ^_^

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,205
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryDude View Post
    Yeah, i got that with my best buddy. While we are both looking for the same kind of personality, what we find visually attractive could not be more different. We often can't understand why the other one likes the kind of girls he likes, but in the end, it does not fucking matter. We share opinions on a womans look, but we allways respected and liked the other ones girlfriend
    Pretty much this ^^

    If your friend is dating them, is happy with them, and likes how they look what's your business in caring about their looks?

  13. #13
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany & Croatia & Netherlands
    Posts
    4,412
    Yeah, I get commented on my girls quite a lot. They like making fun of me, but they don't really mean it like that. However, I had once a somewhat serious relationship which wasn't commented on at all until it was over; and I wish they did say something.

    Sometimes you don't see the shit coming right at your face and then you are happy if somebody can tell you that you are making a huge mistake.

  14. #14
    High Overlord Shekita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    184
    Yes.

    I like bears....yeah, look it up.

    So you could imagine the type of responses I get from all walks of life. It's mainly @_@

  15. #15
    my mates are generally more shocked when they find out I'm attracted to someone given the rarity of the situation! However we generally don't tend to be too bothered, while I don't particularly get on well with my mates other halves we are "amicable" - although I have told them on more than one occasion if I think the OH is a bitch, not really a surprise given how blunt I am!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

  16. #16
    Brewmaster Gemini Sunrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Westfield, IN
    Posts
    1,427
    Not their damn problem what they think. I make sure they know that in polite a way as possible. I appreciate their advice, but they should only say it once.

  17. #17
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    21,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekita View Post
    Yes.

    I like bears....yeah, look it up.

    So you could imagine the type of responses I get from all walks of life. It's mainly @_@
    You win the thread, even as a gay man I cannot find bears attractive.

  18. #18
    Old God
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,362
    I'm always honest about a persons personality, looks, not so much, I'll say she is cute even if I think she is meh(don't really comment guys looks much). I think most of my friends feel like they can be honest about this as well, my mate Isabelle has always been very precise when it comes to the girls I've dated, a harsh critic, when I was younger I thought she was jealous tbf.

    As far as my bros goes I've only really had one incident when I told my mate that he was making a mistake, I really couldn't stand that chick, just got weird vibes from her whenever we hung out, she ended up cheating on him... suprise suprise.

    My girl friends tend to have good taste, picky choosers.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-25 at 04:29 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

  19. #19
    Not that it really matters in the end but opinions always come without asking!
    Did one of your friends or maybe a family member ever dislike the type of girl or guy you are attracted to based on looks or personality?
    Like lets say you like very overweight white girls with short hair and freckles, Did they make sure to tell you what they thought?
    About how not sexy that was and not understanding your taste? And did/does it affect you?

    Some people care a lot what people around them think, Not that they would break up like 1,2,3 because their friend mark said she was ugly!
    But it might affect their view about her. were you ever put in such a situation or do you maybe do it yourself?
    Your good friend is dating a black girl wich is totally not your taste in the slightest do you say anything? Or are you the kind of person that thinks, Whatever makes him happy, Makes him happy, Not my problem.

    I've been asked why i found certain types attractive but it didn't bother me, i choose whoever i like and what another person thinks isn't really my problem.

    What about you?
    sometimes they (friends / family) just tend to be overprotective / they want the best-est best for us.

    or most of the case -- they just don't like your taste =))

  20. #20
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    23,456
    No, I don't really date so it hasn't come up. However, I have been on the other side of the coin. I have a tendency to smell out hypocrites and liars; my friend didn't take it too well when I told him his GF was banging other dudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •