Poll: Warcraft in Warhammer bored-game?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warcraft in Warhammer?

So all I was watching the megabloks toymation thing; and thought to myself how cool Warcraft in Warhammer would be. Similar to the Lord of the Rings set that GamesWorkshop built.

I know its obviously a pipe dream because these two companies have created two great universes and I don't think one wants to be over shadowed by the other.

But in a perfect world if Blizzard said it could be done, would you want it?

EDIT: Whoah I think everyone has gotten off topic here; I believe their was a thread made about this thread... To be clear; If Warcraft could be made into a table top game set from Gamesworkshop would you buy,build and play with other people. Tihs has NOTHING to do with Warcraft being a rip off of Warhammer in the slightest way.
    Last edited by Smokinya; 2012-12-24 at 06:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft was a rip off of Warhammer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post

And so was a bunch of other things a *rip off*.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Warcraft came from Warhammer. Come on, space orcs invading humans.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    And so was a bunch of other things a *rip off*.

http://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcra...that-saved-wow

Patrick Wyatt, the Producer on Warcraft, explains in a lengthy "making of" feature that some at Blizzard had wanted to make a Warhammer game, but things just didn't work out.

"[Blizzard co-founder] Allen Adham hoped to obtain a license to the Warhammer universe to try to increase sales by brand recognition", Wyatt says. "Warhammer was a huge inspiration for the art-style of Warcraft, but a combination of factors, including a lack of traction on business terms and a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal. We had already had terrible experiences working with DC Comics on "Death and Return of Superman" and "Justice League Task Force", and wanted no similar issues for our new game."

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, Warcraft was orginially developed to be a Video Game adaptations of the Warhammer Fantasy series, but the IP owners of Warhammer said they didn't want it, so Blizzard said "fuck it" and released their game as its own IP.

Kinda makes you think how something as simple as saying yea or nay can change the foundations of an entire business.

EDIT:

Alastair has a better source :P
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Warcraft came from Warhammer. Come on, space orcs invading humans.

Pretty much Warcraft came out in 1994 and Warhammer came out in 1983

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Actually, Warcraft was orginially developed to be a Video Game adaptations of the Warhammer Fantasy series, but the IP owners of Warhammer said they didn't want it, so Blizzard said "fuck it" and released their game as its own IP.

Kinda makes you think how something as simple as saying yea or nay can change the foundations of an entire business.

EDIT:

Alastair has a better source :P
    Speaking of that. Warhammer was the shit in the 80's

10+ Year Old Account

Patrick Wyatt, the Producer on Warcraft, explains in a lengthy "making of" feature that some at Blizzard had wanted to make a Warhammer game, but things just didn't work out.

"[Blizzard co-founder] Allen Adham hoped to obtain a license to the Warhammer universe to try to increase sales by brand recognition", Wyatt says. "Warhammer was a huge inspiration for the art-style of Warcraft, but a combination of factors, including a lack of traction on business terms and a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal. We had already had terrible experiences working with DC Comics on "Death and Return of Superman" and "Justice League Task Force", and wanted no similar issues for our new game."

Read what Lothaeryn said. Really I saw Warhammer and the similarities are there but I saw a big difference in Warhammer but hey...I suppose it's easier to hate then enjoy for what it is.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

So ultimately, aside from a few similarities at the surface, it's a completely different story/game/universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read what Lothaeryn said. Really I saw Warhammer and the similarities are there but I saw a big difference in Warhammer but hey...I suppose it's easier to hate then enjoy for what it is.
    Not hating..Simple truth blizzard was going to make a warhammer came and warhammer said no so they said fuck it and made warcraft. How is that hating?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not hating..Simple truth blizzard was going to make a warhammer came and warhammer said no so they said fuck it and made warcraft. How is that hating?

There tends to be a hate crowd against *Ripoffs*. Ok it looks similar but honestly taking ideas from others isn't some new thing.

Warrior-Magi

Makes you wonder if GW had given them the license how awesome of games we would have

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Makes you wonder if GW had given them the license how awesome of games we would have

I'd wager Guild Wars would be like whatever Warhammer was back then. (Just going to point out I wasn't born until the 1980's, born in 1989).

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    There tends to be a hate crowd against *Ripoffs*. Ok it looks similar but honestly taking ideas from others isn't some new thing.
    and their tends to be fanboys on a witch hunt who think they need to get up in arms any time someone says something bad about Blizzard. But I all ready pointed out how warcraft orcs vs humans was a warhammer rip off

10+ Year Old Account
    and their tends to be fanboys on a witch hunt who think they need to get up in arms any time someone says something bad about Blizzard. But I all ready pointed out how warcraft orcs vs humans was a warhammer rip off
    Are you insinuating I'm a fanboy? Cause I was just pointing out about the ripoff cause I generally think someone wants to hate on it. Don't need to insult me.

I believe he means Games Workshop.
    Then I have no idea.

Warrior-Magi

I'd wager Guild Wars would be like whatever Warhammer was back then. (Just going to point out I wasn't born until the 1980's, born in 1989).
    Games Workshop, the maker of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you insinuating I'm a fanboy? Cause I was just pointing out about the ripoff cause I generally think someone wants to hate on it. Don't need to insult me.

Then I have no idea.

Not insinuating anything just saying these forums seems to have a group of people on a witch hunt for anyone who says anything bad about blizzard. I was not hating on warcraft merely saying it was a rip off of warhammer

Quote Originally Posted by Rassman View Post
    So all I was watching the megabloks toymation thing; and thought to myself how cool Warcraft in Warhammer would be. Similar to the Lord of the Rings set that GamesWorkshop built.

I know its obviously a pipe dream because these two companies have created two great universes and I don't think one wants to be over shadowed by the other.

But in a perfect world if Blizzard said it could be done, would you want it?
    Well, technically warcraft is based off warhammer and starcraft off 40k, blizzard was making starcraft actually to be a wh40k game but gamesworkshop pulled the plug so they already have most of the stuff done and decided to keep at it but changing names and altering some lore things and models.
    (terran = mix of space marines and imperial guard, protoss = eldar, zerg = tyranids)

So i dont think they would really combine, as they have "background" and a not super friendly one i would imagine.

On the other hand, while i enjoy GW stuff far more i also like blizz universes, so wouldnt mind.
    This will quickly turn into another clan war, people love their clan wars.

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 05:18 AM ----------

Not insinuating anything just saying these forums seems to have a group of people on a witch hunt for anyone who says anything bad about blizzard. I was not hating on warcraft merely saying it was a rip off of warhammer
    This are basically non official blizzard forums with some support to other games :P
    You will get a lot of witch hunting and blizzard fanboyish in here, its expected, just ignore the zealots and time to time you find people you can talk with.

As i said, people love their clan wars and being zealous about things that dont matter at all.

[sarcasm] Lord of the Rings is a ripoff of Historia Regum Britanniae because they both have magic and humans in it. [/sarcasm]
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

And they're all rip off concepts from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, cept for Harry Potter - they fucked Elves up. Oh, also excluding the space stuff - thats a rip off of Star Wars and Aliens.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell