people like to sugar coat it and say it was inspired by WH
but the http://www.thefreedictionary.com/inspired says
1. aroused or guided by or as if aroused or guided by divine inspiration an inspired performance she was like one inspired
2. extremely accurate or apt but based on intuition rather than knowledge or logical deduction an inspired guess
Artists, Writers, Designers all need something to get the creative juices going, as once you have a base you build on that.
if it was truly a rip off, I'm pretty sure Games Workshop would of done something years ago.
There's also the fact that GW has been around since the 70's and Warhammer is over 25 years old now; MtG hits 20 next year too actually.
1. brilliant, wonderful, impressive, exciting, outstanding, thrilling, memorable, dazzling, enthralling, superlative, of genius She produced an inspired performance.
2. stimulated, possessed, aroused, uplifted, exhilarated, stirred up, enthused, exalted, elated, galvanized Garcia played like a man inspired.
3. (with by) based on, derived from, built around, constructed around The book was inspired by a real person.
Please dont cherry pick your definitions. The first two examples represent radically different interpretations of the word.
God, such a stupid thing to argue about, we are all adults here, we know what bloody words mean.
So DWII sold 4 million Copies in it's first two weeks. That's pretty damn impressive for a PC RTS. Then you have to consider it was 3 years ago, steam, blah blah blah, and that it's only 1 Warhammer title when there have been many.
---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 11:05 PM ----------
Orcs are based on the typical thuggish cockney criminal stereotype. It's like the whole of the East End of London got curse by David Banner.
The High Elves are the upper Class, and the Dark Elves are the dark underbelly of the 1%.
Chaos are a mix of Scottish and Welsh and America.
Skavins are french.
Undead are from eastern Europe and North Africa.
Humans are whats left in the Europe. And they are not Lawful Stupid They are Xenophobic and racists.
---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 11:14 PM ----------
What I find funny is the 40k License is up for grabs right now because THQ is going away, I would find it hilarious if Activision Blizzard acquired it. Just imagine a Dawn of War done by the SC team.
We need to figure out who Tolkien lifted the idea for Orcs and other high fantasy concepts so we can create a new thread that gets Warcraft, WH AND LotRO fanbois all riled up. This flavor of thread has gotten boring
In the meantime, I'll add fuel to the fire by saying that WoW is far, far more indebted to the original RTS games as well as EQ than it does to the WH universe in terms of design and direction.
Top tier 25M progression raiding on 12 hours per week.
US 15th Garrosh - US 19th Ra-den ** US 19th Sha of Fear
*pours more petrol*
I'm a Forsaken. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.