View Poll Results: Is this a sackable offence?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    78 59.09%
  • No

    54 40.91%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    I am Murloc! Peaky Blinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Birmingham UK/Arizona US
    Posts
    5,659
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    See I would view this differently. I would think of it, I work damn hard to make myself count for two or three, and when I'm not working, they can get on without me. If they can't, well that's the companies problem, not mine. Working hard should be applauded. You shouldn't be punished for it. I know employees who get mistreated at work for working hard (not saying you are). They get talk to like shit, yet when they're told "You need to work a few hours extra to clean all this up" when they have been working hard all night, they simply say yes and get on with work. I wouldn't accept that.

    Night shifts are hard work. Easy, brainless work, but hard work. You sweat. You rush. Your meeting strict deadlines. You generally get talked to like shit, but when it comes to taking my holiday, no one. NO one will dictate to me how I spend it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 04:47 PM ----------



    I would work Christmas and New Years too, if I had any respect for the job. Turns out I don't. You get talked too like shit all year and I keep my head down. If I can get away with a white lie, than damn straight I will. For me the job will always be walk in, receive my orders, headphones on, walk out, get paid.

    No doubt I would change my attitude in a job I wanted to progress in.
    Working for mom and pop stores is hard trust me i know from experience

    working for i dont give a shit corporation is a piss take if you know what you are doing

    doubly so if you a union guy like i used to be

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    do you think the world spins because of the people in suits?
    More or less the world spins around them while we get hopelessly flung off the sides I think is pretty accurate.

    OT : Long as they don't find out it should be fine. If you used leave/vacation time for the off period then there isn't much they can do but if you got the time off when you didn't have any leave time mainly because they were nice then thats pretty fucked up as it cuts into other workers off-time.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

    In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    It's not a white lie, it's a regular lie.

    Companies put these policies in place for the benefit of all their staff, so people don't end up having to work non-stop all through Christmas. You selfishly decided that this wasn't enough for you, and now somebody is going to have to cover your shift. Justifying it by saying you don't care about your "scummy" co-workers says rather a lot about you as a person.

    Anyway, lying to your employer probably falls under either general or gross misconduct according to your contract (you know, the thing you signed when you agreed to work for them).
    Funny thing is, I didn't sign any contract. I also received about training from 10 year old video tapes. You don't know Sainsburys do you?

    The reason I say scummy is because 90% of the people I work with argue/steal and are generally piss poor workers who are always calling in sick.

    You're judging me as a person now when you've never met me. What does that say about you?

  4. #64
    hahahaha OP you are funny....you start a thread to find out if you can sacked for lying to your employers. Which shows you are worried about what your employers think. Then in the post above , you give all the bravado bullshit of "but when it comes to taking my holiday, no one. NO one will dictate to me how I spend it." Why did you lie to get it then? Walk into work and say Hi to your boss and work mates if you are not going to be dictated to!!!! And if it is such a shit job, why are you worried about losing it?
    Also you think that you deserve it because you work hard? So no one else in that place works hard then????

  5. #65
    Thing is, my pay is the benefits I need. I work well, so I get well tipped, on top of the fact that I have a decent base pay rate as it is, i'm the highest payed waiter there, as my boss decided to pay people based on how well they actually work. So yes, I work hard, and it actually pleases me that people can see that i'm a hard worker, and worth every penny. Plus, I look on the other 1 good side to things, work is sometimes fun for me. Sure, my day with my family is fairly ruined. But, i'm ruining my day and making 100-200 other people have a far better time than they otherwise would have, I joke around with the kids playing with their presents, talk to the parents, etc. On New Years Eve, we put on some upbeat music after midnight, we all drink some champagne, it's all very relaxed and quite a nice ambience.

    I do understand that in a supermarket, its quite a different thing, its not so much customer satisfaction as stacking shelves and moving things. Honestly, in your case, I would say it's not so big a deal. I don't mean this as an insult, but it's hardly rocket science to work in a supermarket. Just do whatever your supervisor tells you to do. It's a bit harder to train a waiter in how you want everything done on short notice.

    To be honest, I would say that it's not that big a deal, but from an employers point of view, I wouldn't fire you, but instead keep an eye on you to see if you pull anything similar again. Basically a 2 or 3 strike system, with this counting as a 1st strike.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    If the bosses find out, then yes they could sack you.

    If your fellow employees find out, they will just think you're a dick. Maybe one of them will tell on you, most wouldn't, but you always get those annoying people in the workplace.

    So it's easy, just don't get caught. I urge you to get another job though, unless you're a student.
    Oh I'm trying mate. Believe me I'm trying. It's all I could get when I came out of uni and as much as I hate it I would prefer it to getting job-seekers allowance any day.

  7. #67
    I am Murloc! Peaky Blinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Birmingham UK/Arizona US
    Posts
    5,659
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Oh I'm trying mate. Believe me I'm trying. It's all I could get when I came out of uni and as much as I hate it I would prefer it to getting job-seekers allowance any day.
    Please stop fucking worrying and just enjoy the holidays

    do you honestly think your managers are gonna give a shit that you told a little white lie to get a few weeks off

    most will prolly never noticed that you left

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyVoodoo View Post
    hahahaha OP you are funny....you start a thread to find out if you can sacked for lying to your employers. Which shows you are worried about what your employers think. Then in the post above , you give all the bravado bullshit of "but when it comes to taking my holiday, no one. NO one will dictate to me how I spend it." Why did you lie to get it then? Walk into work and say Hi to your boss and work mates if you are not going to be dictated to!!!! And if it is such a shit job, why are you worried about losing it?
    Also you think that you deserve it because you work hard? So no one else in that place works hard then????
    I'm not scared at all, I'm just interested.

    I lied to get it because if I said "I want to take a week of at Christmas to spend time with my family" then they would say no. I lied so I could have it off. Simple as that. They employ temps to cover the busy Christmas period, so it really isn't effecting anyone else. The temp might get an extra few shifts, but thats the reason why they are there. To work in the Christmas periods.

    It is a shit job. I don't want to lose it because unemployment is shitter. Thought that would be obvious.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    About two months ago, I wrote a letter saying I'm going away for Christmas so I can't work Christmas week (23rd - 30th, excluding Christmas Day). After a few conversations, they let me have it off. Technically you're not allowed to have holiday during the Christmas period.

    As it happens, I'm not going away for Christmas, I just wanted Christmas off. Dealing with night shifts over Christmas would be a pain in the ass and I would miss most of the daily activity as I would be sleeping. I used my last week of Holiday for this, so technically I just booked my week off cleverly.

    I'm not a doctor. I'm not a policeman, I'm a night shift shelf stacker at Sainsburys that hire shit loads of temps to cover Christmas anyway.

    So in short, do you think the managers could sack me for lying to them?

    Interested to know.
    Cheers
    The correct answer is -

    It depends if you are breaking anything your employee contract states.

    If you read your holiday entitlement it will clearly spell the rules out. If you break your contract, they can sack you.

    It doesnt matter what your manager has told you. He isnt the one that makes the contract rules.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Please stop fucking worrying and just enjoy the holidays

    do you honestly think your managers are gonna give a shit that you told a little white lie to get a few weeks off

    most will prolly never noticed that you left
    I'm not worrying about losing my job because I know they won't find out. (Unless they read MMO Champ, link my username to my supported Football team and notice I'm a Sainsburys employee AND luckily guess I'm the 1 in 1000 employee who has the above

  11. #71
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    About two months ago, I wrote a letter saying I'm going away for Christmas so I can't work Christmas week (23rd - 30th, excluding Christmas Day). After a few conversations, they let me have it off. Technically you're not allowed to have holiday during the Christmas period.

    As it happens, I'm not going away for Christmas, I just wanted Christmas off. Dealing with night shifts over Christmas would be a pain in the ass and I would miss most of the daily activity as I would be sleeping. I used my last week of Holiday for this, so technically I just booked my week off cleverly.

    I'm not a doctor. I'm not a policeman, I'm a night shift shelf stacker at Sainsburys that hire shit loads of temps to cover Christmas anyway.

    So in short, do you think the managers could sack me for lying to them?

    Interested to know.
    Cheers
    Yes. They could, and its not fair on other people who have to work it to cover your lazy self entitled arse. You knew the contract when you accepted it, and you lied to your employer, deal with it
    No game will ever kill wow. Though Blizard themselves are making a pretty damm good attempt lately.

    THE FIRST RULE OF BRAWLERS GUILD IS YOU DO NOT GET INVITED TO BRAWLERS GUILD.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by mmociloveu View Post
    The correct answer is -

    It depends if you are breaking anything your employee contract states.

    If you read your holiday entitlement it will clearly spell the rules out. If you break your contract, they can sack you.

    It doesnt matter what your manager has told you. He isnt the one that makes the contract rules.
    I never received a contract. This is Sainsburys not some well established work place.

  13. #73
    No, they gave you holiday and you're allowed to do whatever the fuck you want during that time. Though they can screw you over by not helping you out when you want certain days off next year and such. If you called in sick than yes they would be able to fire you as you are in fact taking time off without having permission to do so.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    Yes. They could, and its not fair on other people who have to work it to cover your lazy self entitled arse. You knew the contract when you accepted it, and you lied to your employer, deal with it
    A temp will have to work an extra few shifts, but they're temporary staff who are employed for the sole reason of covering in the Christmas period. I'm also making them more money.


  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    I never received a contract. This is Sainsburys not some well established work place.
    I live in the South East of England btw.

    I can tell you that Sainsburys is a well established work place. Its one of the largest supermarkets in the UK, not some corner shop. I can guarantee you that somewhere you have signed an employee contract when you started work with them.

    And just fyi, so many people have degrees, that it is now a disadvantage to you.

    Nowhere where you will want to work will employ you due to lack of experience, and nowhere like McDonalds etc will want to employ you full time, because they want monkeys who do, not thinkers who think.

    South of England is no mans land atm.

  16. #76
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    A temp will have to work an extra few shifts, but they're temporary staff who are employed for the sole reason of covering in the Christmas period. I'm also making them more money.


    Does not matter how you justify it now, I know, everyone here knows, and you yourself know, that what you have done is for entirely selfish reasons. Not only had you better hope your boss does not find out, you had better hope your fellow employees dont find out, because they will make your life hell if at all possible.

    You are shitting on other people for your own selfish reasons. Dont hide from that, if you are ok with that, thats up to you, but I suspect you feel guilty otherwise why post this? and you know its wrong otherwise you woudl not need to lie about it.
    No game will ever kill wow. Though Blizard themselves are making a pretty damm good attempt lately.

    THE FIRST RULE OF BRAWLERS GUILD IS YOU DO NOT GET INVITED TO BRAWLERS GUILD.

  17. #77
    Field Marshal Kaliani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Yes.

    Accept the firing and go find an actual job.
    What part of what he/she does isn't a job? I know people who have applied everywhere and anywhere over many months who would love to have that job and be able to get caught up on bills or not have to worry about eating or having gas money.

  18. #78
    Pit Lord tommypilgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Funny thing is, I didn't sign any contract. I also received about training from 10 year old video tapes. You don't know Sainsburys do you?

    The reason I say scummy is because 90% of the people I work with argue/steal and are generally piss poor workers who are always calling in sick.

    You're judging me as a person now when you've never met me. What does that say about you?
    Of course you have a contract. And I don't need to know you to see that you're being immature, irresponsible and quite selfish. Not to mention quite the hypocrite, "piss-poor" workers indeed. Anyway, as I said, being dishonest probably falls under general or gross misconduct. Let's just hope they find out.
    Did you like the above post? How about sending me a dollar? I'd have adverts here but apparently that'd break ToS.

  19. #79
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Voted no. The reason doesn't matter. Employees private lives are none of employers business anyway. Only exception would be health reasons and lying about that would be sort of bad. But if it's possible to get time off for a trip, it should be allowed for sleeping on a couch or singing Christmas carols on the street just the same.
    You do need to realise that the employee private lives are not the company's business as long as they don't effect the company. As soon as it does "like asking for a holiday" then its the company's business, and lying to your employer is a sure way of losing your job.

    The owner of where I work I know for a fact has zero tolerance for lies, I was warned by my manager, if you fuck up he will be pissed but he is fair and tolerant. You lie and he finds out, your looking for a new job.

    And I know 2 customers we deal with who are the same, one manager lied to us about not reading emails to him informing him of appointment slots for work they required doing. He said he had not read them and was blaming us for not informing him. The owner then rings asking the same thing, we tell him we have sent 3 copies of the same email, so he looks at the managers email and finds there all opened an read.
    His exact words were "I'm sorry but don't worry about this it won't happen again as I do not tolerate lies", the next week there's a new manager. The sad thing is the owner said to us if the manager had admitted making a mistake it would have not been a big deal at all and he would have kept his job.

    Never abuse trust and honesty it will return and bite you one day and you'll regret it.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

  20. #80
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    16,125
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    About two months ago, I wrote a letter saying I'm going away for Christmas so I can't work Christmas week (23rd - 30th, excluding Christmas Day). After a few conversations, they let me have it off. Technically you're not allowed to have holiday during the Christmas period.

    As it happens, I'm not going away for Christmas, I just wanted Christmas off. Dealing with night shifts over Christmas would be a pain in the ass and I would miss most of the daily activity as I would be sleeping. I used my last week of Holiday for this, so technically I just booked my week off cleverly.

    I'm not a doctor. I'm not a policeman, I'm a night shift shelf stacker at Sainsburys that hire shit loads of temps to cover Christmas anyway.

    So in short, do you think the managers could sack me for lying to them?

    Interested to know.
    Cheers

    i did the exact same thing at tesco last year. told them early in the year i had a holiday booked in december, they aggreed to let me have it off. all went well. i instead just took a week off work over christmas becuase i didn't want to work at the busiest time of the year, when as you said, they hire like 100 school kids for that period :P you wont get into trouble over it.
    Too cool for a signature

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •