View Poll Results: Is this a sackable offence?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    78 59.09%
  • No

    54 40.91%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    989
    If I wanted time off work I'd tell my boss "I'm having XYZ off". If he can't find people to fill the spots that's his problem.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaliani View Post
    What part of what he/she does isn't a job? I know people who have applied everywhere and anywhere over many months who would love to have that job and be able to get caught up on bills or not have to worry about eating or having gas money.
    England doesnt work that way.

    We have had 13 years of a near Socialist party who have put many disgusting policies in place that thankfully the Conservative party is untangling.

    Labour (spit) have made it so that welfare dependents who have as many children as possible, and fresh immigrants who come into the country, get more free money than those in work.

    As a result, the low paid workers on minimum wage are still suffering. IF you are on minimum wage, you will not be able to afford to rent one tiny room, let alone food, let alone pay bills.

    As a result, unless you are still living with parents, you are forced to go on welfare to get free housing and free food.

    A full time, low paid worker can expect to pay 20% tax, 13% national insurance, which leaves 66% income on most of your money. Deduct at least 60% for rent, and you are left with a measly 6% to pay bills, buy food, clothes and travel to and from work.

    Its not doable.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by mmociloveu View Post
    I live in the South East of England btw.

    I can tell you that Sainsburys is a well established work place. Its one of the largest supermarkets in the UK, not some corner shop. I can guarantee you that somewhere you have signed an employee contract when you started work with them.

    And just fyi, so many people have degrees, that it is now a disadvantage to you.

    Nowhere where you will want to work will employ you due to lack of experience, and nowhere like McDonalds etc will want to employ you full time, because they want monkeys who do, not thinkers who think.

    South of England is no mans land atm.

    about the contracts, tesco "forgot" to get me to sign one until i had worked there for nearly a year. the managment at these places are not usualy great.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 05:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    If I wanted time off work I'd tell my boss "I'm having XYZ off". If he can't find people to fill the spots that's his problem.

    but a lot of companies have a policy not to allow you to take time off in december as its the busiest time, and they dont want half their staff taking holiday off :P
    Too cool for a signature

  4. #84
    No its not. Your boss has no right to decide if your holiday plans are good enough to let you off. You are using holiday days you have acquired through some means of store policy. Your reason for using them is null and void and you can't be fired for it.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    about the contracts, tesco "forgot" to get me to sign one until i had worked there for nearly a year. the managment at these places are not usualy great.
    I find that really hard to believe.

    Or at least, it is an exceptional case and not the norm.

    Saying that though, my only experience is from the premier Tesco in the South East of England. IT is just up the road from me and is more successful than any other. Its really well organised. I just expect all other places to be the same i guess.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim:
    Companies put these policies in place for the benefit of all their staff, so people don't end up having to work non-stop all through Christmas. You selfishly decided that this wasn't enough for you, and now somebody is going to have to cover your shift. Justifying it by saying you don't care about your "scummy" co-workers says rather a lot about you as a person.
    Originally posted by FrankLampard:
    Anyway, lying to your employer probably falls under either general or gross misconduct according to your contract (you know, the thing you signed when you agreed to work for them).
    Funny thing is, I didn't sign any contract. I also received about training from 10 year old video tapes. You don't know Sainsburys do you?

    The reason I say scummy is because 90% of the people I work with argue/steal and are generally piss poor workers who are always calling in sick.

    You're judging me as a person now when you've never met me. What does that say about you?
    It says he's human, just like your judging him for what he has typed. If it needs spelling out the reason your being judged is by the attitude of what your saying, people don't need to know you face to face to form an personal opinion.

    1. Your excusing lying because according to you " 90% others argue/steal, as and using that justify to your behavior
    2. Calling 90% of your co-workers piss poor doesn't speak highly of your attitude towards the job, them or the company.
    3. Regardless of the job, you should have standards and morals, which you don't seem bothered about, everyone else does it so why shouldn't I, is how it comes across. Yes it may not be the best job on the planet but at least its a job and there are enough ppl unemployed these days, you should do it as well as you can, if its not recognized or you don't earn any promotions then find another job and move on.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

  7. #87
    The contract says you should be working Christmas, then you should be working Christmas. You fed the manager a lie about a holiday away, which he then granted you time off in a period when you shouldn't have time off. This means the other members of staff have to work harder duing the busiest part of the year.

    Yes, I would sack you. Just think of what would happen if all the workers did it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by mmociloveu View Post
    Or at least, it is an exceptional case and not the norm.
    It is more common than you would imagine.

    Enjoy your time off OP, you earned it! Kick back and relax and take comfort that so many people are getting riled up, hoping you get caught etc when it really is none of their concern!

    Edit:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Just think of what would happen if all the workers did it.
    MMOC users are really obsessed with 'what ifs'. What if some mother need time off for her kids! What if nobody comes in! None of those are OP's problem, and Christmas work in places like that is always compensated with holiday staff. Chill out guys Sainsburys will be fineee
    Last edited by scamander; 2012-12-24 at 05:40 PM.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Just think of what would happen if all the workers did it.
    The Government would consider increasing the minimum wage most likely.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by mmociloveu View Post
    England doesnt work that way.

    We have had 13 years of a near Socialist party who have put many disgusting policies in place that thankfully the Conservative party is untangling.

    Labour (spit) have made it so that welfare dependents who have as many children as possible, and fresh immigrants who come into the country, get more free money than those in work.

    As a result, the low paid workers on minimum wage are still suffering. IF you are on minimum wage, you will not be able to afford to rent one tiny room, let alone food, let alone pay bills.

    As a result, unless you are still living with parents, you are forced to go on welfare to get free housing and free food.

    A full time, low paid worker can expect to pay 20% tax, 13% national insurance, which leaves 66% income on most of your money. Deduct at least 60% for rent, and you are left with a measly 6% to pay bills, buy food, clothes and travel to and from work.

    Its not doable.
    Ofc it is doable .... myself and many ppl I know do it. I'm single and as long as you don't have kids its quite easily doable. I'm not rich but I'm quite happy with my life, still looking for other opportunities and if one comes along off I go

    Oh and don't start me on the fuck ups the conservatives are making atm, labour were bad enough they seem to be making it worse.

    Trying to recover from a depression in a single parliamentary term ... oh please.

    They have made some good decisions but until I see them put there money where there mouth is I don't believe a word. They have a bad a track record as labour does and them I would not trust to open a door for me....
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

  11. #91
    In America, it is. You would have an at will employment. They can fire you for not being truthful to them. Hell, they can fire you for being ugly. If you have something that only allows them to fire you for cause, then no, what you did is not sufficient to fire you.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by mmociloveu View Post
    I find that really hard to believe.

    Or at least, it is an exceptional case and not the norm.

    Saying that though, my only experience is from the premier Tesco in the South East of England. IT is just up the road from me and is more successful than any other. Its really well organised. I just expect all other places to be the same i guess.
    i dont know, ive worked in 2 different stores, the first one was ok, management was ok, though they hada habit of not telling their workers what hours they were working until a day before which was really annoying. this store never got me to sign anything, my first day there after the interview, watched a 10min training video from 1980 by the looks of it, then straight to work. this store, when i moved here they made me sign a contract, but the manager is pretty terrible. all he does is stand around the front of the stoor, usually in casual clothes, and harrass customers, try and talk to them while their shopping. funny to watch, but a lot of them moan about him to me :P


    anyway about the op, if its anything like tesco they will not fire you. i had a warning for something else here once, and had to have a meeting with some of the supervisers and manager, and they basically said they rarely ever fire anyone at tesco. you would have to repeatadly do the same thing wrong over and over again after being given about 5 different warnings.
    Too cool for a signature

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
    Ofc it is doable .... myself and many ppl I know do it. I'm single and as long as you don't have kids its quite easily doable. I'm not rich but I'm quite happy with my life, still looking for other opportunities and if one comes along off I go

    Oh and don't start me on the fuck ups the conservatives are making atm, labour were bad enough they seem to be making it worse.

    Trying to recover from a depression in a single parliamentary term ... oh please.

    They have made some good decisions but until I see them put there money where there mouth is I don't believe a word. They have a bad a track record as labour does and them I would not trust to open a door for me....
    Rubbish.

    If you live in the South East of England, you are paying at least £550 in rent. That is nearly all of your wages gone. You have litereally £200 per month left to pay for food, travel, clothes, bills.

    I almost guarantee you either dont live in the South East of England, or you are lieing because you are a Labour supporter and think that it is doable.

    It isnt.

  14. #94
    Bloodsail Admiral Madkitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,000
    Its an employers market, they can fire you and replace you in a day because of the number of people after jobs.

    You have been contracted to work during December and are not entitled to have holiday during that period, the 'i haven't signed a contract' excuse is debatable, because technically they can refuse to pay you since technically you are not employed with them otherwise.

    I would say if you are caught then yes they can fire you (but since you are claiming not to have signed a contract you aren't employed so they can't fire you since you aren't an employee)

  15. #95
    The Lightbringer DEATHETERNAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, more fascist every day
    Posts
    3,242
    Anyone who questions whether blatantly lying to your employer like that is a valid reason for firing or not (apart from you being contracted and your contract saying you can't be fired for such a thing) needs to have their head examined.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

  16. #96
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    10,582
    It depends on where you live. In some states in the US, they can fire you for just about anything or no reason at all.

    But, yeah, I'd say lying to your boss about being unable to work is probably grounds for dismissal in most places. The reason retail hires tons of temps during that season is because it's busy as hell and they need all the help they can get.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Anyone who questions whether blatantly lying to your employer like that is a valid reason for firing or not (apart from you being contracted and your contract saying you can't be fired for such a thing) needs to have their head examined.
    Bollocks. I lie to my employer all the time.

    chris, so and so called in sick, can you come in and cover for him?

    Uh, no. I have a thing I can't get out of.


    Fuck them. I don't owe them anything. If they do me favors, I'll do them favors.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  18. #98
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,159
    If they gave you the time off, then it's yours. I wouldn't go about bragging that you lied to get the time off, because if they find out they might fire you, depending on where you live, and how expendable you are. But, if it's already official, not much they can do about it.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by mmociloveu View Post
    Rubbish.

    If you live in the South East of England, you are paying at least £550 in rent. That is nearly all of your wages gone. You have litereally £200 per month left to pay for food, travel, clothes, bills.

    I almost guarantee you either dont live in the South East of England, or you are lieing because you are a Labour supporter and think that it is doable.

    It isnt.
    Umm I think you need lessons in reading... I don't support labour I actually dislike labour as much as conservative as I said in my previous post.

    And I have worked in the South East of england for 5 years in the past and managed far better than you claim so I ain't making it up as I have done it, so no not rubbish just living within my means. Maybe you need to find accommodation more suited to your income. If you are single and are paying £550 a week for somewhere to live then your living beyond your means. If its £550 a month then you have far more than £200 a month spare after rent on minimum wage.
    Last edited by Shakari; 2012-12-24 at 10:10 PM.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

  20. #100
    I don't think it's technically "sackable," but it's definitely lying to your employer. If they found it, they'd probably start finding small reasons to write you up and that might lead to termination.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •