Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Modpack] Feed The Beast (FTB) - An alternative Tekkit / Technic

I must start this thread by stating I am not in any way associated with this development, I'm just excited about it's release. \m/

Not sure how many of you have been following the progress of "Feed the Beast" over the last few months, but it looks like it's getting close to a stable release some time soon. There is a beta build available for download which currently runs on Minecraft 1.4.2 and feature many of the mods Tekkit players will already know and love. (and non-Tekkit players ofc!!)

The important difference between this pack and the Tekkit pack, besides the more up to date build of the core Minecraft files is that the modpack author definitely has permission from the individual mod authors to re-distribute the mods. Tekkit/Technic has long been burdened with a somewhat tainted reputation due to *cough* certain mod authors expressing their discontent with their mods being included in the Tekkit/Technic pack at all.

Here's a list of the mods featured so far (this list may not be updated if new mods are added so check the FTB site for more up to date info)

Buildcraft 3
    Railcraft
    Forestry
    Steve's carts
    Portal gun
    Ender storage
    Redpower
    EE3
    NEI
    Extra BiomesXL
    Tubestuff
    Secret rooms
    Greg's lighting
    Subject to change
    Industrialcraft
    Computer Craft
    Wireless redstone
    Mystcraft
    Rei's Minimap
    Iron chests

There is also a server pack download available to make server admins life a lot easier (/grin)

Please, guys... do not let this thread descend into ignorant bashing of Tekkit/Technic, FTB or individual mod authors. That's not the point here, I just wanted to spread the word a little. /hugs

Edit: Modified OP to include the video submitted in a reply by Fuzzzie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Last edited by mmoc520d33584e; 2012-11-17 at 03:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    For sure. FTB is a great pack. Slowpoke and his gang have put in a lot of hard work here and it's paid off. Super easy to install and use.

I'm waiting to get whitelisted on an acquaintances FTB server and I'll be playing there and doing some vids in the near future featuring this mod pack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just installed it. (so easy) Looking forward to trying it out though I have no clue what most of the mods included do. Never really played with any of these type mods so excited to give it a go!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Just installed it. (so easy) Looking forward to trying it out though I have no clue what most of the mods included do. Never really played with any of these type mods so excited to give it a go!
    My advice is to start small. go do a lot of mining and build a pile of resources. Diamonds and gold are great, but also try to get Obsidian, get some blaze rods if you can, also ender pearls. You should also get a cactus farm going right away and try to find rubber trees in swamps. They'll have little orange nubs somewhere on the bark. Pretty much farm anything you can lol Inbetween that take a look at mod spotlights on youtube. If you have any questions you're welcome to PM me here any time. I'll probably give you 15 paragraphs lol

10+ Year Old Account
    My advice is to start small. go do a lot of mining and build a pile of resources. Diamonds and gold are great, but also try to get Obsidian, get some blaze rods if you can, also ender pearls. You should also get a cactus farm going right away and try to find rubber trees in swamps. They'll have little orange nubs somewhere on the bark. Pretty much farm anything you can lol Inbetween that take a look at mod spotlights on youtube. If you have any questions you're welcome to PM me here any time. I'll probably give you 15 paragraphs lol
    haha, sounds great!

I really am a fan of FTB's launcher. Easily manage multiple installs, and installing mods through it is as simple as it gets.

Deleted
    One thing I'm confused about though... I found a couple of these so far (one underground like this one, and one underwater) and I have no idea what they are.

I thought it was a beehive at first but my scoop did nothing, would anyone like to fill me in?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spambanjo View Post
    One thing I'm confused about though... I found a couple of these so far (one underground like this one, and one underwater) and I have no idea what they are.

I thought it was a beehive at first but my scoop did nothing, would anyone like to fill me in?
    It is a beehive. One from ExtraBees addon. Dunno why the scoop isn't picking them up. Those are Cave bees, and the underwater ones are underwater bees. Did you try breaking it with your pick?

Deleted
    It is a beehive. One from ExtraBees addon. Dunno why the scoop isn't picking them up. Those are Cave bees, and the underwater ones are underwater bees. Did you try breaking it with your pick?
    Yeah I broke the underwater one with a pick cus I didn't realise hives spawned there (I'm a Forestry noob and never even used extra bees) and it just disappeared leaving nothing behind. I'll go back and break out the cobbles around it and see if I can get it to do anything.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 04:15 PM ----------

Haha, I'm such a noob, it's been so long since I first used Forestry I forgot you have to left-click/destroy the hive with the scoop and not just right click it :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spambanjo View Post
    Haha, I'm such a noob, it's been so long since I first used Forestry I forgot you have to left-click/destroy the hive with the scoop and not just right click it :P
    Haha! I did the same thing my first time. It's kinda counter-intuitive.

Deleted
    Haha! I did the same thing my first time. It's kinda counter-intuitive.
    The sad part is it's not my first time using Forestry lol.

I guess I've been playing Tekkit too long... I even shit myself when I saw my first bat flying around haha

10+ Year Old Account
    So thats what they are, haha! I must have destroyed dozens of them things trying to pick them up!

15+ Year Old Account
    Bee's are a bit of a pain. I've never quite got the hang of them. I found this cool breeding guide that I'm going to try out. Should help with cross breading the different species. It is a bit of a spoiler, so don't read it unless you're fed up trying.

Forestry Bee Breeding Guide - Credit to TheYoHanSolo
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-11-17 at 07:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So.... the FTB Launcher updated the mod pack today... and it left me with no mods..... /cry

Edit: Turns out the Laucher isn't completing the DL at the last second and the zip file ends up corrupt and is deleted. It's just something they have to fix on their end.
    Last edited by Greevir; 2012-11-20 at 12:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So.... the FTB Launcher updated the mod pack today... and it left me with no mods..... /cry

Edit: Turns out the Laucher isn't completing the DL at the last second and the zip file ends up corrupt and is deleted. It's just something they have to fix on their end.
    FTB doesn't actually effect your other MC install. If you have the game installed in /roaming/.minecraft then you're okay. FTB creates its own folders where it keeps modified versions of the game.

Also, yeah. They're having issues with some of the mods. Portalgun and Extra Bees borked things up last night pretty bad on the server I was playing on.
    had to manually re-install older versions.

10+ Year Old Account
    FTB doesn't actually effect your other MC install. If you have the game installed in /roaming/.minecraft then you're okay. FTB creates its own folders where it keeps modified versions of the game.

Also, yeah. They're having issues with some of the mods. Portalgun and Extra Bees borked things up last night pretty bad on the server I was playing on.
    had to manually re-install older versions.
    yeah, my vanilla minecraft is fine since it's done in a completely different location. Whats happening with FTB is that it downloads the mod pack zip and when it tries to extract the zip, it fails and deletes it.

I was actually planning on jumpin on FTB today in creative mode to play around with stuff (try to learn some of mods in it). Then it updated and everything went nuts. Was thinking of setting up minecraft manually with some of the mods but don't want the headache atm.

Edit: BTW, did you get your video card yesterday?
    Last edited by Greevir; 2012-11-20 at 05:09 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah, my vanilla minecraft is fine since it's done in a completely different location. Whats happening with FTB is that it downloads the mod pack zip and when it tries to extract the zip, it fails and deletes it.

I was actually planning on jumpin on FTB today in creative mode to play around with stuff (try to learn some of mods in it). Then it updated and everything went nuts. Was thinking of setting up minecraft manually with some of the mods but don't want the headache atm.

Edit: BTW, did you get your video card yesterday?
    Yeah, finally got the video card pretty happy about that!!

Try just wiping out your FTB folder and starting fresh with a new launcher. you can copy out your saved games if you want to keep them. Launcher and modpack are still in beta, so expect issues every now and again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, finally got the video card pretty happy about that!!

Try just wiping out your FTB folder and starting fresh with a new launcher. you can copy out your saved games if you want to keep them. Launcher and modpack are still in beta, so expect issues every now and again.
    Thats good to hear!

Yeah, I've uninstalled and reinstalled FTB numerous times to no avail. Trying it again to see if any progress. Will also try to do a different modpack to see if the modpack itself is borked.

Deleted
    I had problems with FTB last night too, couldn't use my single player map... I ended up playing Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 all night. Happy days.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just logged into my smp server and didn't have an issue. The client updated to 1.0.7 but that was about it. Really no clue. Check the support forums maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it appears as if the modpack zips are corrupt. I DLs them directly from creeperhost and they can't be opened due to corruption.